PDA

View Full Version : cutting when drunk

low_on_air
September 30th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I've cut myself for quite some years, but if you ignore some very sporadic relapses I've quit for about a year now. But within two weeks I've suddenly cut myself twice when I was extremely drunk. I remember doing it, but I can't remember why. But in general I'm really doing good, I'm not depressed anymore, I have friends and I just generally feel fine. So I don't understand why I woke up this morning with cuts on my leg. Does anyone have advice? Is it because I'm doing less good than I think and I supress everything? Or is it just because I did it before and alcohol lowers your inhibitions? If you have any advice please tell me (other than not drinking, that is obvious of course)

Just JT
October 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM
There's only one person who can answer your questions, that's you. I get what you are saying, and I'm not guna lecture you on all the perils of cutting. What I am guna say is when drinking, it'll impact your judgement, and may have not so good outcome unintended. So I'd try and not cur when drinking. And talk to someone, someone who can help you figure out your questions

Shock96
October 19th, 2016, 11:37 PM
I know you said you didn't want to hear about not drinking, but I think it's something to consider. If you don't want to give up drinking, you should at least consider drinking less. If you are getting drunk to the point that you don't remember what you did the night before, that's really not good.

Alcohol does lower your inhibitions and can make bad ideas seem good, or make you do something that you didn't think you would do/wouldn't do when you are sober. It's possible that like you said you are doing less good than you think, but only you can answer that. Talking to someone about issues you're having is always a good option. I think the past couple times you have cut yourself though are more likely due to the alcohol.

Hope you get things figured out, let me know if I can help!

Matt

Abhorrence
October 20th, 2016, 02:41 AM
I've had the same experiences really, the only relapses I've had in this past year have been due to alcohol or some other substance. I'm not quite sure why it happens other than the fact that alcohol is a depressant and it could just lower your mood to a point that reminds you of previous experiences. When you're drunk and sad it becomes an extreme emotion and your personal way of dealing with extreme sadness or whatever in the past was to cut, therefore it could be a slight subconscious thought coming to fruition thanks to intoxication.

Shock96
October 20th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I've had the same experiences really, the only relapses I've had in this past year have been due to alcohol or some other substance. I'm not quite sure why it happens other than the fact that alcohol is a depressant and it could just lower your mood to a point that reminds you of previous experiences. When you're drunk and sad it becomes an extreme emotion and your personal way of dealing with extreme sadness or whatever in the past was to cut, therefore it could be a slight subconscious thought coming to fruition thanks to intoxication.

That's a very good point... alcohol is a seriously effective depressant. I have gone from being happy to having a few days of relapsed depression due to drinking the night before. That's one of the reasons I don't drink at all anymore.