PDA

View Full Version : I can't tell

Amethyst Rose
September 28th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I can't tell for sure but I'm afraid I might be developing an eating disorder. I don't know anyone personally who deals with one so I'm not sure... every time I'm offered anything to eat between meals I automatically have thoughts like, "You shouldn't eat that, you're fat" and similar thoughts. I've noticed my appetite has decreased a little as well. I'm bigger than most other girls I know, I'm 5'4-ish and weigh around 160 pounds. It makes me so mad when people who are smaller than I am say that they're too fat. An example is last night I was with two friends and one asked the other if she was going to a dance we're having soon, and she replied, "I'm too fat, like 140 pounds (and she's about the same height as me). I look awful in dresses." I've been told I'm pretty but I feel like I need to lose weight, and I'm afraid my mind is programming my body to not eat as much or something. Ugh that sounds ridiculous but I'm not sure how else to say it. I'm eating fine but I don't want it to evolve into a full-fledged eating disorder or something. I guess what I'm asking is: IS this a potential eating disorder? And how can I avoid these negative thoughts?

Thank you <3

Endeavour
September 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Hey there Richelle,

I'm thinking that this might be a start of an eating disorder. People with anorexia will often feel self conscious about their weight and start to skip meals. If your mind is thinking about stopping eating, but isn't just yet, then I think it might just be a start. Also what looks like 'fat' to you might not be to someone else. Some things that could help you could be 'cognitive analytic therapy'. This isn't anything major; all it is is looking at how you feel and why, and looking at changes that you could do. For example, if you start thinking that every one thinks you're fat for example, you could look for ways to clear your mind.

Hope this helps you :)

Amethyst Rose
September 29th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hey there Richelle,

I'm thinking that this might be a start of an eating disorder. People with anorexia will often feel self conscious about their weight and start to skip meals. If your mind is thinking about stopping eating, but isn't just yet, then I think it might just be a start. Also what looks like 'fat' to you might not be to someone else. Some things that could help you could be 'cognitive analytic therapy'. This isn't anything major; all it is is looking at how you feel and why, and looking at changes that you could do. For example, if you start thinking that every one thinks you're fat for example, you could look for ways to clear your mind.

Hope this helps you :)

Thank you for your reply. The confusing part is, I don't think it's anorexia because if I lost weight, I'd be happy about it, I wouldn't think I'm still fat and just try to lose more and more. I've been mulling this over and it could be I'm just too hard on myself and self-conscious as a result of comparing myself to other girls around me. Again thanks :)

Godsdaughter
October 21st, 2016, 07:13 PM
That doesn't sound like an eating disorder to me