PDA

View Full Version : node.js

Anthem
September 26th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I am starting to use more node.js and mongodb for my applications and use Google Compute Engine for hosting. I come from a strictly PHP background so node.js is really different, but really simple!

To compare, I have 295+ lines of PHP code just to insert and update using mysqli. In node with mongodb, I've only used around 265 for inserting, updating and deleting from database. It's not much difference in lines but the simplicity is astounding!

I still plan on using digital ocean, but only for minor things.

What do you use for your backend? What hosting, and languages?

nnoooooooopppeee
October 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM
I use Apache 2.24 with PHP and MySQL (all compiled from MacPorts) on macOS Sierra. I host all my sites myself by using Port Forwarding + Dynamic DNS + A Domain Name from GoDaddy.
I'm trying to make my own server OS by compiling the open-source components of Darwin (the operating system beneath macOS) and hopefully I might be able to get that working and have an OS that I'm familiar with, without any performance overhead due to the GUI!
I've never used node.js before, although it does look promising. I think I'll stick with PHP for now though. Have you tried out ember.js? It looks nice but I don't know how to git it up and running.