PDA

View Full Version : CVs/Resumes

Endeavour
September 21st, 2016, 11:01 AM
Hey guys,

So at school part of our careers program we do in Year 11 is learning how to write a CV. But I have absolutely no idea what to include. Any ideas?

nebula
September 21st, 2016, 03:53 PM
*cracks under Year 11 pressure*

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I am also pretty sure we don't get such mentoring for CVs... one thing I can suggest is that you can take a notation of some past achievements in and out of school, like if you still have any little certificates for being good at school or anything like that. I hear that anything good - even little such as the certificates - looks good on your CV.

Vlerchan
September 23rd, 2016, 04:10 PM
Mine has gotten me jobs in professional offices - a retail bank and a mutual fund - so I hope I can give some advice.

I begin with a list of personal details: name, phone number, email address and date-of-birth.

I then included what I labelled a 'profile': which is a summary description of what I figure my strengths are. Ensure that there are references to where these skills are demonstrated - so I highlight selection for prefect in highschool and the years I played team sports, for example.

I then included education details, what I have been enrolled in (high school) and what I am currently enrolled in (university), and then the relevant years. I try to make it seem like I was a good high school student with a rather misleading description of my finals grades.

I then discuss work experience. Include volunteer stuff here, too. You can also include work you did for family members - like I worked on my uncles farm a number of times.

Then I list notable achievements and skills. The 'notable' aspect makes it seem as if there's so much more. That's stuff like the programming languages I can write in. But also that I was player of the year for my soccer and Gaelic football teams at one stage or another (if you play team sport, emphasise it, because odds are you will be working on a team). I also include membership of college societies. twentyone horizons is right here though: include certificates, and so on, it all helps (in fact, it's whats going to get you your first job, basically).

Then there's the section for references, to which I just add: "References to be made available on request".

Other tip is to use bullet points whenever you can. Be succinct. Ensure there's no spelling errors. Spend time on presentation - I learned a word processing language called LaTeX - looked upon highly in Finance - so I could sharpen the presentation.

---

I can answer whatever questions people have.

Flapjack
October 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Honestly buddy I know it is daunting but when you have done it once it is really easy :)
Here is a good structure to use (https://www.studentjob.co.uk/info/the-standard-structure-of-a-good-cv) :)
One thing I would add is to focus your CV towards the job you like and mention transferable skills!:)