PDA

View Full Version : Notable People 2: Huma Abedin

Porpoise101
September 15th, 2016, 06:36 PM
This is my second thread about interesting elites. Instead of stalwart libertarian Peter Thiel, we have Huma Abedin who has been called "a second daughter" by Hillary Clinton.

Huma is interesting. Michigan-born, her Muslim Indian parents moved to Saudi Arabia where she grew up. She became fluent in Arabic and went to British prep-school. After that, she moved back to America. I think she gained a bit of the international outlook from this early life.

At George Washington U, she became an intern for Hillary when she was First Lady. She has clung on to her in all sorts of jobs from her 2008 campaign, to the State Dept, to the Clinton Foundation. Today she is the second in charge of Clinton's campaign.

In between all of this, she married aptly-named Anthony Wiener. She actually showed up in the news media because of his newest sexting scandal. This broke the camel's back; she has filed for divorce.

No doubt Clinton considers her loyal and capable. My question is: what will she play in the future? I consider her to be a rising star in the political arena. Even if Clinton doesn't win, she now has connections to the actual Democratic Party. Currently Clinton seems to be winning (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/), but the race is a while away. That being said, Clinton has a fair chance to win and that will propel her to the top.

Personally, I see her being a staffer of some sort in the future. I think it is cool that Indians are moving up in high places also. But I also have some worries. One of the flaws in the American political system is that the executive branch gets cleaned out after each new President since we have the 'spoils system'. Instead of grooming the most capable people, we groom the most loyal. That can be beneficial, sometimes though.

Please post conspiracy theories as well, they are interesting to read.

Paraxiom
September 16th, 2016, 05:22 AM
This is my second thread about interesting elites. Instead of stalwart libertarian Peter Thiel, we have Huma Abedin who has been called "a second daughter" by Hillary Clinton.

Huma is interesting. Michigan-born, her Muslim Indian parents moved to Saudi Arabia where she grew up. She became fluent in Arabic and went to British prep-school. After that, she moved back to America. I think she gained a bit of the international outlook from this early life.

At George Washington U, she became an intern for Hillary when she was First Lady. She has clung on to her in all sorts of jobs from her 2008 campaign, to the State Dept, to the Clinton Foundation. Today she is the second in charge of Clinton's campaign.

In between all of this, she married aptly-named Anthony Wiener. She actually showed up in the news media because of his newest sexting scandal. This broke the camel's back; she has filed for divorce.

No doubt Clinton considers her loyal and capable. My question is: what will she play in the future? I consider her to be a rising star in the political arena. Even if Clinton doesn't win, she now has connections to the actual Democratic Party. Currently Clinton seems to be winning (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/), but the race is a while away. That being said, Clinton has a fair chance to win and that will propel her to the top.

Personally, I see her being a staffer of some sort in the future. I think it is cool that Indians are moving up in high places also. But I also have some worries. One of the flaws in the American political system is that the executive branch gets cleaned out after each new President since we have the 'spoils system'. Instead of grooming the most capable people, we groom the most loyal. That can be beneficial, sometimes though.

Please post conspiracy theories as well, they are interesting to read.

I wouldn't know much on relevant conspiracy theories here, because I didn't know anything about her until you set up this thread (which I thank you for).

I did find though on Wikipedia that five Republican members of Congress were apparently very suspicious of her, because of her Muslim connections:

"In a letter dated June 13, 2012, to the State Department Inspector General, five Republican members of Congress—Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, Trent Franks of Arizona, Louie Gohmert of Texas, Thomas J. Rooney of Florida, and Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia—claimed that Abedin "has three family members – her late father, her mother and her brother – connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations."

The five members of Congress alleged that Abedin had "immediate family connections to foreign extremist organizations" which they said were "potentially disqualifying conditions for obtaining a security clearance" and questioned why Abedin had not been "disqualified for a security clearance.""

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huma_Abedin#Criticism ]

Porpoise101
September 16th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I did find though on Wikipedia that five Republican members of Congress were apparently very suspicious of her, because of her Muslim connections:

"In a letter dated June 13, 2012, to the State Department Inspector General, five Republican members of Congress—Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, Trent Franks of Arizona, Louie Gohmert of Texas, Thomas J. Rooney of Florida, and Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia—claimed that Abedin "has three family members – her late father, her mother and her brother – connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations."

The five members of Congress alleged that Abedin had "immediate family connections to foreign extremist organizations" which they said were "potentially disqualifying conditions for obtaining a security clearance" and questioned why Abedin had not been "disqualified for a security clearance.""

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huma_Abedin#Criticism ]
I read on a linked article to WaPo that the claims were baseless accusations. This was before the left started really calling out a lot of things in the US as being racist, but if that was said today I have no doubts that would be shot down by the news media. I am happy that Bachmann is out of politics though. She just had a propensity to make noise, like many other TEA-Party types.

Paraxiom
September 18th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I read on a linked article to WaPo that the claims were baseless accusations. This was before the left started really calling out a lot of things in the US as being racist, but if that was said today I have no doubts that would be shot down by the news media. I am happy that Bachmann is out of politics though. She just had a propensity to make noise, like many other TEA-Party types.

Oh yes, agreed. I was presenting that without being sympathetic to it.