PDA

View Full Version : Homework & Depression

EuRo
September 12th, 2016, 12:06 AM
For the past few weeks I've had trouble keeping up with my homework, doing it the day before the required class, struggling to concentrate, etc. I was recently put back on Prozac but it won't start to kick in for a while, so for another 2 - 3 weeks I'm left in the dark to exhaustion and hatred and depression. For the past week I've slept on my bed more than I've been awake, and due to lots of stress and hard feelings I've cut myself quite a bit.

What can I do to get myself to do my homework? I get anxious about it but I'm too tired and hazy to do it properly. The last two times it's taken me days to complete my English, when it should take me no longer than 3 - 4 hours. I've tried energy drinks but they don't put a god damn dent in my exhaustion.

Vermilion
September 12th, 2016, 01:39 AM
I would speak to your teachers so they know what's going on and they mite try to help you with it

Flapjack
September 13th, 2016, 08:58 AM
For the past few weeks I've had trouble keeping up with my homework, doing it the day before the required class, struggling to concentrate, etc. I was recently put back on Prozac but it won't start to kick in for a while, so for another 2 - 3 weeks I'm left in the dark to exhaustion and hatred and depression. For the past week I've slept on my bed more than I've been awake, and due to lots of stress and hard feelings I've cut myself quite a bit.

What can I do to get myself to do my homework? I get anxious about it but I'm too tired and hazy to do it properly. The last two times it's taken me days to complete my English, when it should take me no longer than 3 - 4 hours. I've tried energy drinks but they don't put a god damn dent in my exhaustion.
I went through a huge phrase like this :) I would stay up until 3am doing the homework I left until the day before.Honestly it is something you must start but when you start you will love it so much you won't stop:) Now when I have free time in school I do a fw questions here and there and then when I get home I do homework but I get it done ages before it is due so t doesn't stress me out.

ImCoolBeans
September 13th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I used to have the same problem. I couldn't motivate myself to do any school work at home. I just really couldn't be bothered, but at the same time, neglecting it only stressed me out more and made me worry about my grades all of the time. It might be nice in the moment to procrastinate or blow it off, but it's never worth it in the long run and it's only going to make you more stressed out. I think what Jack said is good advice, I try to get mine done when I have free time at school or time in between classes, so that by the time I get home I only have a little bit to do and I don't have to worry about it too much. I know it's hard to motivate yourself with school, especially when feeling depressed, but getting it done and out of the way will take a load off for the rest of the day/night and could actually really help you feel more accomplished/proud of yourself when you realize you're finished with it all or when you get good grades back.

jamie_n5
September 14th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I think homework gets to be a drag for us all. Maybe you should talk to the doctor that put you back on Prozac and maybe there is something that he or she can do to help you. I hope that you can control the cutting and get your motivation back somehow.

Phosphene
September 14th, 2016, 09:00 PM
That is hard, I know how it feels not being motivated to complete your homework. As Jack and Mike said above, getting some done here and there during school works really well so you don't have so much after school. I actually did this today and wound up with hardly any by the time I got home :). Also something that works for me is a reward system of sorts... I have to finish all my homework before I can practice music, so if I want to practice that motivates me to complete everything. Hope you find something that works for you!

jake97aus
September 14th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Definitely have a talk to your teacher about it, they can then make arrangements to get you some extra help and a bit more time to do the work! Homework can be depressing enough by itself without actually having depression on top of that. Also make sure that you're not spending too much time stressing about the homework. Set out some time when you might do some and then chill out for a bit so you don't overwhelm yourself