PDA

View Full Version : Photo of overdosed parents with child illuminates drug problem in U.S.

ThisBougieLife
September 10th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Photos released from an Ohio town that showed too completely zonked out parents on heroin in a van with a young child in the back seat has brought to the fore the issue of heroin and meth abuse in rural America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/09/ohio-city-shares-shocking-photos-of-adults-who-overdosed-with-a-small-child-in-their-car/

Although the drug problems in big cities get a lot of attention (or did, at least), I often feel that the drug epidemic affecting white rural America is largely ignored by the media and the government.

I wish I had more ideas or solutions, but this isn't something that I know a lot about, so I was interested in hearing all your opinions. What is to be done about the drug issues that affect rural America? What can be done legally? The current laws don't seem to be effective. What can be done socially (i.e. can we prevent people from getting addicted in the first place)? Is it a consequence of poverty? (Most of the communities affected are generally poorer, working class, with high rates of unemployment, particularly in the Rust Belt).

Emerald Dream
September 10th, 2016, 06:12 PM
While it's not exactly graphic, that's pretty disgusting and scary picture. I'm pretty horrified to see that child in the car.

I'm not sure this is strictly an issue that deals with poorer or more rural people. As far as I know, people across all classes, backgrounds, and locations have problems with drug abuse. It's just that some can afford better living conditions, possessions, and more expensive drugs.

phuckphace
September 10th, 2016, 06:43 PM
heroin junkies and tweakers need to be rounded up and holocausted, absolutely no exceptions.

much, much cheaper than the current "War" on Drugs which is some gay rule of law bullshit that gets nothing done and leads to the above pic. ammo is cheap as fuck especially if you're the Man, only takes one 50-cent round per junkie and killing them all pays dividends later because any kids they have can be adopted into Christian homes and won't grow up to be junkies like their worthless ass "parents."

P.S. most heroin comes from Mexico (BUILD WALL)

Vlerchan
September 10th, 2016, 06:52 PM
There, at the least, needs to be social support to help them re-skill, and feel like there's something to live for.

heroin junkies and tweakers need to be rounded up and holocausted, absolutely no exceptions.
http://www.dw.com/image/0,,19246003_303,00.jpg

phuckphace
September 10th, 2016, 06:56 PM
image (http://www.dw.com/image/0,,19246003_303,00.jpg)

have you seen how shitter-shattered The Economist et al are about Duterte the Great? it's almost like their writers planned to re-up their supply on the next visit to fuck child prostitutes

Abysse
September 10th, 2016, 07:41 PM

much, much cheaper than the current "War" on Drugs which is some gay rule of law bullshit that gets nothing done and leads to the above pic. ammo is cheap as fuck especially if you're the Man, only takes one 50-cent round per junkie and killing them all pays dividends later because any kids they have can be adopted into Christian homes and won't grow up to be junkies like their worthless ass "parents."

Are you... serious ?:confused:

everlong
September 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM
That poor kid. The world's really shit sometimes.

phuckphace
September 10th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Are you... serious ?:confused:

it's literally late 2016, get with the times fam

TIRED: democracy

WIRED: fascism

StoppingTom
September 10th, 2016, 08:12 PM
If it makes y'all feel better, the kid is no longer in that family's possession, and is either living with a relative or in a new home.

Abysse
September 10th, 2016, 08:55 PM
it's literally late 2016, get with the times fam

TIRED: democracy

WIRED: fascism

Yesssss, you can do it ! Coup d'etat !!!!

... Your way to see political life is... sad.

If it makes y'all feel better, the kid is no longer in that family's possession, and is either living with a relative or in a new home.

Good news !

Dalcourt
September 10th, 2016, 08:57 PM
It's really sad to see such pics...drug abuse is an epidemic throughout all of the US be it either those illegal stuff like meth or addiction to prescription meds.
Solutions to fight it are hard to find I'm afraid...Prevention would be most important imo cuz once you have started it's kinda too late already and you will have to struggle with it your whole life.
Problem however is how such a prevention shoud look like.

Harsher punishment wouldn't really work I feel. The greed of drug dealers to get easy money will always bigger than their fear of being punished. And if you are the addict punishment won't syop you either cuz you don't think about anything but the drug.

So sadly there is no real solution I'm afraid.

lliam
September 10th, 2016, 09:21 PM
As a positivist, I only can say: it's a good sign, that thus junkie-parents haven't fed their child with drugs.

Flapjack
September 10th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I think this is why we need to offer more support to drug users.

Dalcourt
September 10th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I think this is why we need to offer more support to drug users.

Unfortunately from experience I can tell ya that most aren't willing to take any support offered.
If you are like those people in that article you are usually beyond the point of realising you need help.

Leprous
September 11th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Yesssss, you can do it ! Coup d'etat !!!!

... Your way to see political life is... sad.

You must be new here

Jinglebottom
September 11th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Absolutely vile.

nebula
September 11th, 2016, 03:58 AM
I hope the child is safe.

Abysse
September 11th, 2016, 07:01 AM
You must be new here

Not really... I just rarely come.

Karkat
September 11th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I'll say this much: felony drug court does not get people the help they need. Mental health also needs to be a huge focus as literally every user I know (including myself) either started due to poor mental health/mental illness/stress/etc or their problem is exacerbated by it, leading to relapse.

Babs
September 11th, 2016, 09:57 PM
My parents don't have a drug problem. But this kind of makes me sad because it reminds me of my mom's alcohol problem.

candorgen
September 12th, 2016, 04:09 AM
The persisting problem here is that even if the more addictive drugs that are main contributors to this problem were all seized, what the supposed 'war on drugs' is all about (not that I agree with that 'war'), you'd then have a good population of people who now enter withdrawal that won't be pretty.

It's one thing to try to halt all illegal drug influx to the country, and then it's another thing to maintain that along with resisting what I'd anticipate to be a spike in crime rates from now drug-starved people.

(I'm relatively not much in the know with all this, but that's where I stand.)

Yes yes, we know about your wall at this stage...

Jordanchill
September 12th, 2016, 11:01 AM
At least the child is safe. Pretty sad story though. I myself know people who have lost loved ones to heroin and other drugs. There really isn't much to be done to stop people from using drugs. Adding more laws won't stop people either. I think the most effective way to help stop is awareness. This story will have an effect on people when they read it you know. The government can make it harder to get the drug, but if someone wants it, they will get to it.

ethan-s
September 12th, 2016, 04:14 PM

This. Right here.^^

Porpoise101
September 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Although the drug problems in big cities get a lot of attention (or did, at least), I often feel that the drug epidemic affecting white rural America is largely ignored by the media and the government.
I firmly disagree. The only reason Republicans have gotten in the mood to fight the epidemic is because it has affected White America. The poorer cities have been dealing with this for years. Only because of the media sensationalism of this crisis and the fears of whites is this issue being confronted. In Michigan, this issue has been plastered as headlines for about a year and a half now and frankly, I think it is an overdue issue.