PDA

View Full Version : Therapy and/or Counseling

devotionnel
September 10th, 2016, 01:51 AM
So I kinda managed to get out the way I feel (in the form of a verbal rant to my stepmother) and the first word she said was counseling. She said she may discuss it with my dad tonight and they may find something that could help me.

If the idea of therapy does indeed follow through, what do I expect? Is there anything expected of me while I'm there?

Desynchronized
September 10th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Tbh i dunno. I guess they talks with you there. Digs out the shits buried deep in the mind and such. So i don't think you're expected do something. Usually therapy helps(i guess?)

Endeavour
September 10th, 2016, 09:06 AM
You shouldn't feel worried about going to a counsellor at all. Based on my experience a few years back, nothing really is 'expected' of you. All the counsellor would want you to do is pretty much talk about how you are feeling. This would help the counsellor feel how you are feeling and this will enable them to give you advice that would really help you. It really helped me a few years back. It is also quite a good idea to learn to trust your counsellor. They will never give you any advice that will hurt you or will not benefit you. They are there to help you. You may not feel better straight away but gradually you will be fine.

Amethyst Rose
September 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM
From my experience, having a counselor was really beneficial. Don't be afraid to open up to them, they will be happy to advise you how to deal with your problems. My counselor pointed out something to me near to when she released me: she said that she appreciated how I made an effort to improve unlike a lot of other people she'd seen in the past. Counselors are there to help you, but ultimately it is you who takes their advice to heart and puts it into action.

Dalcourt
September 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM
There isn't anything expected from you when you go into therapy.
It's usually about talking about your troubles and about hw you feel.
It might be good to be honest otherwise the therapist isn't able to give you the right advice and help.
Nobody will force you to do anything but if you want the therapy to be useful you should be cooperative.