PDA

View Full Version : Intel or AMD?

Kacchon
September 9th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I want to build a gaming PC, and I'll be saving up money for it very soon. So I'm wondering whether I should go with Intel or AMD for the CPU/motherboard. What do you all think? Which do you think is better?

(Different model suggestions would help too, btw.)

Desynchronized
September 10th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I'm not actually a geek or something. But from what i know, if you have low budget go for AMD. Very well I might be wrong. Also it depends on what graphics card you'll be using. Actually it isn't like one better than other. Tbh i dunno. And if you want suggestions post your approximate budget of the whole pc or cpu. Then we could suggest something based on price :)

Kacchon
September 10th, 2016, 12:43 AM
I'm not actually a geek or something. But from what i know, if you have low budget go for AMD. Very well I might be wrong. Also it depends on what graphics card you'll be using. Actually it isn't like one better than other. Tbh i dunno. And if you want suggestions post your approximate budget of the whole pc or cpu. Then we could suggest something based on price :)

I'm willing to spend around $500-700 on everything.

Desynchronized
September 10th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Thats a great budget. You'll get a great pc. Without the Windows copy and monitor i guess?
For that money i'd im for intel core i5 6500 3.2ghz quad core processor. Its around 200 bucks. Or if you want to go with amd you should go with althon fx 8350. Its 230$ on amazon. If you're soley into gaming then grab the intel. Its clearly the winner. But if you wanna edit videos and develop games buy amd. It will get those jobs done better. And you'd be better off spending some money for the gpu as well. I can give some recommendation if you want.

EuRo
September 10th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Intel for a good budget and if you want a CPU that lasts longer. AMD if you have a tighter budget.

Endeavour
September 10th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Definitely intel. They last longer and tend to be more reliable :)

azure moonstone
September 10th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I would definitely go with the Intel, based on everything I have read myself.

everlong
September 10th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I don't have any experience with AMD, but I don't think I've ever been let down by Intel, and I've heard good things about it.

Andrew02
September 11th, 2016, 08:32 AM
I just built a gaming pc. I'd go with Intel, their chips are a bit better. AMD isn't bad, their chips can have lots of cores but games need to be coded to use lots of cores effectively and most don't. Some games even run better on a fast single core instead of a slower dual core. Most games don't seem to max out cpu anyway. Go for a decent graphics card, an ssd at least for the operating system, and 8 gig of RAM and you should be able to play pretty much anything.

Skylark
September 11th, 2016, 10:29 AM
AMD's architecture isn't efficient enough to utilize all the cores on any of their CPUs. Period. Your budget sounds a lot like mine when I built, and I went with an i3-6100 from Intel. Performs quite well. Not OC-able, but it has hyperthreading, which I suppose doesn't totally make up for the lack of overclockability, but it's an added bonus I guess.

If you're on that sort of budget I'd be happy to share my build with you, I still think I have it saved on PCPP somewhere.

Flapjack
September 11th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I would recommend intel buddy but if you don't have enough money to afford a good enough one for the stuff you want it to do, go AMD.

Neeplin
September 14th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Intel 4 the win
Reliability
Quality
Speed

Moon Lander
September 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I prefer Intel!

lliam
September 30th, 2016, 01:20 PM
i've booth. a older convertible tablet-pc with a i5 processor from HP
and a newer PC with AMD FX-8350 8x 4,0Ghz processor. the price for the base configuration was about EUR 436,90 € (~490,5950 $) including tower case, 650W PSU, full configured motherboard with 32gb Ram. with all the upgrades then I payed about 1,300 € (1,460$). a total complete system.

and as far as I can tell, the amd cpu ist rather fast and stable.

kev99
September 30th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Intel. Overall faster, and much more energy efficient, making it easier to achieve a rather silent machine (and a lower electric bill) that stays cool.

The i5-6500k is a very good choice for a gaming rig, but I think it is too costly for your budget. I'd instead go the Pentium G route, and invest in a good graphic card (GTX1060 maybe, or previous gen 970).

Uniquemind
October 1st, 2016, 02:08 AM
GPU's are easily $650-$850 now because of hyper-markup.

I'd wait to build anything until you have a budget of $3000

Darkbisco
October 1st, 2016, 05:43 AM
If you want to play in 1080p you should Take AMD (FX 8370 and RX 470 Will give you a good mid-high level hardware for 1080p gaming). Instead if you are searching 2K or 4K gaming you've to Take a i5 6600k or better and a gtx 1070 or better. Of curse u've to overcolock.

Danieldv77
October 21st, 2016, 10:02 PM
To be honest, there's never a direct right or wrong answer. Although I have an intel processor, and am biased toward them, I can say that AMD has quite a few merits as well, and can be used for different applications than Intel. However, if getting an AMD CPU, watch out for heat, as your processor can kill itself through that. I'm mostly a gamer, which means Intel just suits me better.

phuckphace
October 21st, 2016, 10:40 PM
Intel master race

Typhlosion
October 22nd, 2016, 09:56 PM
intel all the way, I have a i4590 myself.

AMD:
- Use more power
- Heats up too much
- Aren't always as efficient per core (the 8300's single-core performance ranks lower than my i4590's single-core performance. I preferred my 4 physical cores.
- Is penalized by any program that was compiled by an intel compiler.
- Is an ugly red. Fuck no blue lol

Also: as you're building a gaming rig, the graphics card is more important. You don't need a top-tier processor, most games don't use that much multi-threading so a few cores and moderate processor is OK.