PDA

View Full Version : Vegan and Digestive Disorder

Madison519
September 8th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I have a friend in school who has had severe digestive disorders and stomach pain for quite a few years. That includes a lot of Big D, bleeding, and missed school. She takes Rx drugs and laxatives for it, and may even require surgery. But now she's decided to go vegan, and that's only made her get worse. She claims it's a temporary effect of the new diet. i feel so bad for her, but I'm starting to wonder if she has some other emotional or behavioral disorder. Anyone else ever experienced something like this? I'd really like to help her.

Cadanance00
September 8th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Try asking her if she's been tested for Giardia. I knew someone who had it with the same symptoms you describe. Docs missed it for years. They were going to take part of her colon out till a doc tested her for that. 2 weeks of meds & she's normal again.

Madison519
September 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I talked with her today and she did have blood tests and they all came back normal. She wasn't sure specifically about Giardia but is going to find out. Thanks for your help. BTW, her doc also told her that removing part of her colon might be necessary. That's why I don't completely understand her dietary choices.

Godsdaughter
October 21st, 2016, 07:18 PM
As long as she is going to the doctor and it is being delt with, don't worry about it. Just be there for her.
I'll be praying :)