PDA

View Full Version : You can do it, bud

Karkat
September 8th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Hello, my name is Ren

When I first got on this site, I was on medical leave from work, and suffered from horribly debilitating mental and physical illness. I was a high school dropout who couldn't drive, didn't even have a learner's permit, felt hopeless, lived in an abusive home situation, and was rapidly spiraling into addiction. I was horribly codependent, had horribly low self-esteem, hated myself, and was super underweight and struggling with bulimia.

Today, I live with a friend who understands me and cares about me. I have my driver's license (it only took me four fucking years. Yeesh.) I haven't really remedied the high-school dropout part yet- but I've got a plan to get my GED, and if my life situation doesn't throw me for a loop again, I should be able to complete it by the end of the year. I've been sober almost six months (and free from constant drug and alcohol abuse for almost two years). I am on medications that are helping me (although I'm not quite where I should be, for the first time ever my meds are helping to the point where I notice a difference), seeing a good therapist, I've applied for Medicaid with people who can hopefully help me, and I'm going to apply for SSDI as well. I'm in category 2 at VocRehab (significantly disabled) and should be getting assistance from them soon. I'm with someone who loves and supports me, even though he's going through rough times as well. I am independent, I'm learning to love myself, I am finally at a healthy weight, and I'm starting to have a more positive outlook on life.

Things aren't perfect. Far from it. I still have a lot of shit to deal with on a daily basis, a lot of changes to make in my life, etc.

But I've come a long fucking way in the past two and a half years. In fact, as of yesterday, I've been living away from my parents for six months. That's huge for me. At the beginning of this year, I thought I'd be doing good to even get another job (which I have since then- but I've also moved, so I'm currently unemployed.) by the end of this year.

I'm not here to tell you life will get better immediately, or even that life will be what you think of as ideal- but it does get better. Even if it takes a while.

And it'll be worth it. You just have to keep striving for the future you want- it's up to you to change your life. But when it all boils down to it, it's worth it to stick around and see it through.

Sincerely, one of the ancients of VT

Endeavour
September 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
That's a great message. Thank you for sharing this with us, Ren. :)

Dalcourt
September 8th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Ren. Gives me hope that my daily fights and struggles aren't in vain, either.

Amethyst Rose
September 8th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm so happy to hear you're in a better place Ren. You've come leaps and bounds from where you were, and that's inspiring. I hope you continue to improve. Thanks for sharing this message of encouragement.

azure moonstone
September 9th, 2016, 12:58 AM
It's pretty amazing to see the struggles, highs, lows, and accomplishments that are told here. I know you've come a long way, Ren - and it's good to see you getting through the tough times in your life. Encouragement and positivity are the best things for helping yourself and others. This was great to read. :)

jake97aus
September 14th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Thx for sharing this very inspiring post! I applaud you for how you overcome all that shit, well done :)