PDA

View Full Version : Members / fake members

Vermilion
September 7th, 2016, 01:50 AM
So some older members mite remember "Dylan Danger" the one that did some singing and also lost his legs ? Ring any bells.

His page on here has a Skype contact which I added after he stopped using the site in around July 2015. We have spoken for nearly a year off site, in which time I was told he has gone under more medical treatment meaning he lost his arms and more On what was left of his legs. I was also introduced to a brother called Cody who also ended up loosing his legs due to mental health reasons as if it wasn't done he would do it him self.

Ok skip forward there would be times where I didn't hear from either of them. I decided to track him down on Facebook so I found him and added him. It wasn't till Sunday when he added me as a friend. I thought I'd look at his page to see. Well photos of Dylan with arms and legs and no sing the of a brother. Also trips to florida and sea diving trips when there. No photo of him doing so but didn't add up.

He messagd me on Skype well Cody did and I sent the photo and asked when it was taken to what I was told was an old pic but the phone in his hand and how much older he looked wasn't right.

So I questioned about the diving.

And no reply but a new symbol next to his name. I Google it and guess what I've been blocked.

So yeah what the fuck.

Dalcourt
September 7th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Well that's the internet. There are so many weird people around who do this shit all the time. Dunno if it's cuz they are bored or some sort of freaks.
I met people like that too online on this site and elsewhere...

Uniquemind
September 7th, 2016, 04:16 AM
That's why I am respectfully skeptical when I am here or anywhere else on the internet.

I won't outright say ___ original poster is a troll, I'll respond legitimately to the core of any issue that is at hand, and holds learning merit to readers that follow even if a thread is later locked.

But I really stop myself from empathizing to "stories" online as I have a personal rule to feel for things I can verify as actually occurring, otherwise I treat everything else I come across online as fiction by default.

Although this has caused others to call me a bit brash, cold, disrespectful, categorical, and a bit robotic.

It's not just VT though, it's everywhere else especially youtube right now in 2016, there's been so many lawsuits, and drama, it makes you question where you place emotional energy. Can you trust reactions you have to outside forces and events?

ClaraWho
September 7th, 2016, 06:52 AM
I mean someone having their legs amputated for mental health reasons should really have clued you in...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all week.

There are clearly a lot of fake members on this site, though they tend to stick to sex stories.

~ Clara

Flapjack
September 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I mean someone having their legs amputated for mental health reasons should really have clued you in...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all week.

There are clearly a lot of fake members on this site, though they tend to stick to sex stories.

~ Clara
There are many teens with leg amputations and mental health issues. More likely on this site as the site is aimed at helping the mentally ill.

Voice_Of_Unreason
September 7th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Yea, I usually take the identity of people I meet on the internet with a grain of salt. Especially ones with complicated sympathy stories like your apparent basket case friend.

That is the main reason I don't get too involved in many of the Help/advice or Psychiatric threads about people having horrible lives or major real life 1 in-a-million events. Sure, some of them are true, but many are exaggerated or are straight up lies just to gain sympathy. I've gotten a bit of a reputation of being cold and rude, because I normally ignore the fluff and head straight towards the issue, or lack thereof.

Uranus
September 7th, 2016, 01:19 PM
It's the internet, who cares? I'd rather hear complaints about p101 and having them be resolved. Also I don't see the need to point fingers or identity the user you're speaking of because that is disrespectful even if they are lying

ClaraWho
September 7th, 2016, 03:43 PM
There are many teens with leg amputations and mental health issues. More likely on this site as the site is aimed at helping the mentally ill.

Lol can you give a single example of a mental illness that requires amputation of a leg?

~ Clara

Flapjack
September 7th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Lol can you give a single example of a mental illness that requires amputation of a leg?

~ Clara
No but I can think of many conditions that would require a teen to have a leg amputated which then causes mental health issues or coincides with mental health issues.

he said he would cut them off himself, there was a women once that blinded herself purposelessly because of an illness after doctors refused to do it for her. Maybe he had a medical condition that put him in great pain. We know he was fake but I do not blame the OP for falling for it.

Voice_Of_Unreason
September 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM

~ Clara

No but I can think of many conditions that would require a teen to have a leg amputated which then causes mental health issues or coincides with mental health issues.

Whether or not we agree that this specific problem could happen, we should agree that the likelihood of this actually happening and that person coming and openly sharing it via a teen's forum is very slim. I personally see anyone who constantly broadcasts that they have some sort of disability as a fraud, atleast until I can see proof.

Flapjack
September 7th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Whether or not we agree that this specific problem could happen, we should agree that the likelihood of this actually happening and that person coming and openly sharing it via a teen's forum is very slim. I personally see anyone who constantly broadcasts that they have some sort of disability as a fraud, atleast until I can see proof.
That's a very negative way of thinking :P I like to help and support anyone that asks for it. The number of mentally ill on this site may seem like a lot but that was the original purpose of the site. Unless it is pervy or they're asking for money I don't see the need to be so negative :)

Voice_Of_Unreason
September 7th, 2016, 04:10 PM
That's a very negative way of thinking :P I like to help and support anyone that asks for it. The number of mentally ill on this site may seem like a lot but that was the original purpose of the site. Unless it is pervy or they're asking for money I don't see the need to be so negative :)

That was not the point, I was simply saying someone who constantly feels the need to bring up that they are in some way disabled, are either prideful attention grabbers, or frauds just looking for sympathy points. I am half-deaf, you don't see me broadcasting that across the internet. Because I don't want to be known as the half-deaf guy, I don't need your sympathy to support my ego. I want people to see me as a good person, a debator; anyone who makes their whole stick based on being disabled, really doesn't deserve sympathy in my own opinion.

Flapjack
September 7th, 2016, 04:13 PM
That was not the point, I was simply saying someone who constantly feels the need to bring up that they are in some way disabled, are either prideful attention grabbers, or frauds just looking for sympathy points.
By starting a thread asking for help, support and advice I don't think it makes them any of that. it is good they come here for help.

I forgot that a lot of people see common sense as rude and negative, but it has brought me this far.
A lot of people would see that someone with common sense would realise that saying every thought in their head is often a bad idea.
I am half-deaf, you don't see me broadcasting that across the internet. Because I don't want to be known as the half-deaf guy, I don't need your sympathy to support my ego. I want people to see me as a good person, a debator; anyone who makes their whole stick based on being disabled, really doesn't deserve sympathy in my own opinion.
Just because you do not need support, does not mean that is the same with everyone. If you see them as just using their issues to support their egos then you are either, hateful or ignorant. Certainly not a 'good person'

phuckphace
September 7th, 2016, 04:29 PM
So yeah what the fuck.

I found his real pic

http://i.imgur.com/grOOZNo.jpg

Phosphene
September 7th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Him blocking you is for the best - that's a fishy situation. I tend to be very paranoid on the Internet, paranoid in real life as well tbh.

there was a women once that blinded herself purposelessly because of an illness after doctors refused to do it for her.

I heard about that. Conditions that give you inclinations to do things like that are very dangerous and not completely unlikely.

Devinsoccer
September 7th, 2016, 07:32 PM

I thnk its to help the mentally I'll the LGBTQ+and people who need help. A lot of people dont like those people, so I think some of them take it out on teens using this site.

Dalcourt
September 7th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Flapjack PlasmaHam it's funny to see that you can argue about everything not just religion and politics ; )
Anyway what I wanted to say is that in a way you are both right.

The anonymity of the internet makes it easy for people to tell lies and troll...but this doesn't necessarily mean everyone does so.

It might be in the case described by twin and I'm not saying that everyone on this site really is genuine ( as I said above) but to say everyone who talks about their problems openly is a liar or attention whore is wrong either.

This site was created as a place to help teens with mental health issues and therefore there are a lot of teens on here who have those issues. This can attribute to the fact that some post come off as weird or exaggerated but that can happen if you post in a bad mental condition.

Sometimes it's far easier to talk about your problems and issues on the internet than in the real world outside. Or you can use the internet as some sort of testing ground on how people might react if you tell them in real life.So to automatically blame anyone talking openly about stuff here to be an attention-seeking fraud would be totally against the purpose of this site.

You could also say then that all ROTW posters who argue their extreme views over and over again are all attention-seeking trolls but that would be equally mean.

Personally I do tell people a lot more about myself and about how I feel on here than I would ever do in real life...it's easier to show weaknesses and fears in the anonymity of the internet than in a world where they would use them against you.
This is the reason why I try to be open about anyone cuz I guess I'm not alone with that.

I have met a great deal of people who were fake or worse on the internet nevertheless if someone asks for help or advice here and I have some to offer I do so cuz who carese if that other person really needs it or not? It doesn't hurt to post it...and maybe it's useful to someone else who was even to shy to talk about a similar problem online.

Of course I get mad when I find out someone lied but end of the day does it matter?...it doesn't really harm anyone too much and if you are sick and tired of someone the internet gives you the ability to ignore or block this person...a function real life unfortunately doesn't provide.

Phosphene
September 7th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Flapjack PlasmaHam it's funny to see that you can argue about everything not just religion and politics ; )
Anyway what I wanted to say is that in a way you are both right.

The anonymity of the internet makes it easy for people to tell lies and troll...but this doesn't necessarily mean everyone does so.

It might be in the case described by twin and I'm not saying that everyone on this site really is genuine ( as I said above) but to say everyone who talks about their problems openly is a liar or attention whore is wrong either.

This site was created as a place to help teens with mental health issues and therefore there are a lot of teens on here who have those issues. This can attribute to the fact that some post come off as weird or exaggerated but that can happen if you post in a bad mental condition.

Sometimes it's far easier to talk about your problems and issues on the internet than in the real world outside. Or you can use the internet as some sort of testing ground on how people might react if you tell them in real life.So to automatically blame anyone talking openly about stuff here to be an attention-seeking fraud would be totally against the purpose of this site.

You could also say then that all ROTW posters who argue their extreme views over and over again are all attention-seeking trolls but that would be equally mean.

Personally I do tell people a lot more about myself and about how I feel on here than I would ever do in real life...it's easier to show weaknesses and fears in the anonymity of the internet than in a world where they would use them against you.
This is the reason why I try to be open about anyone cuz I guess I'm not alone with that.

I have met a great deal of people who were fake or worse on the internet nevertheless if someone asks for help or advice here and I have some to offer I do so cuz who carese if that other person really needs it or not? It doesn't hurt to post it...and maybe it's useful to someone else who was even to shy to talk about a similar problem online.

Of course I get mad when I find out someone lied but end of the day does it matter?...it doesn't really harm anyone too much and if you are sick and tired of someone the internet gives you the ability to ignore or block this person...a function real life unfortunately doesn't provide.

Well said Ty, I couldn't agree more :)

Melodic
September 7th, 2016, 11:14 PM
The site is pretty easy for anyone to access. Including creeps and pathological liars. 95 percent of them you'll never even notice and speak to. Like OP's case, there have been members who've managed to reach out to others. Honestly, I could give you a larger list of active or formally active members I know who are 100 percent real and genuine than any of the creeps who've managed to last more than a few days on here.

Remora
September 7th, 2016, 11:56 PM
as much as i, too, am growing numb to things like this, it still feels like a slap in the face and i don't think we should treat everyone sceptically because being treated sceptically also feels like a slap in the face.

i try not to let it bother me too much, but when i ask for proof (subtly) and someone keeps avoiding giving me it i get pissed off and delete them.

ClaraWho
September 8th, 2016, 02:39 AM
Judging by this thread alone, some people are so gullible they would unquestionably believe anything, based on nothing but some trolls comments. But whose fault is it really? Healthy skepticism is a quality every adult needs, stop things such as mindless belief in religion.

~ Clara

Ragle
September 8th, 2016, 03:05 AM
meaning he lost his arms and

By this time I had been wondering how he can respond to my messages

Karkat
September 8th, 2016, 07:26 AM
My initial reaction was "Wait, what the heck- how would that even be real" but after reading a few posts I guess I could see how it could have been genuine.

Gotta love people who make shit up for sympathy. It makes it hard for people to actually feel for the people who actually have gone through shit.

Vermilion
September 8th, 2016, 07:28 AM
By this time I had been wondering how he can respond to my messages

There are programs where it works by speaking to text. I was told that and his brother was typing it

Living For Love
September 8th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I'm going to lock this thread since it's not particularly related to Family and Friends and because it as ran its course. :locked2: