PDA

View Full Version : Starting college ... filled with fear

Milos
September 4th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Hey,

In about a week i ll start college and i m crippled with fear ...
Not sure where to start but here it goes ...

PROBLEM 1
I stutter and well i dont want to be mocked or stutter on some words when i talk with my teacher and knowing myself that will happen,a lot ...

PROBLEM 2
The new surroundings,the new friends.Its just so scared,i dont want to go through that again ... ANd lets not forget food,since i want to start a bb career,how can i do it if i dont eat and well due to my schedule,i spend 4 to 5 hrs there ... Without any food :/

PROBLEM 3
The studying,on college you re supposed to study at least half of a day for each day for next 4 years and well i am a lazy guy that can only lift weights ... In highschool i never studied(like a day a before test,only for 1 hr ..),how could i start now?

I dont want to sound like a complete lost cause.I dont have any physicall or mental problems(except stuttering which really beats me sometimes),i live a stable life,i dont have any problems ...
Sometimes i tell myself,you can do it man.You can control your stutter(sometimes i really can),you can make new friends really easily(which i can)and finally you can study if you want to.I tell myself,if i finish this i ll live like i always wanted ... But those moments are rare ...

Btw,i m starting economics(full of math) ...
Any advice?
Thanks

Ben7
September 5th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I'm not yet in college, I will likely be applying this year and if so then next Fall I'm going to be similarly nervous as you, I have no doubt. While I have no college experience I'll still try to respond.

For stuttering, you may just have to force yourself to relax and be calm and slowly say the words that you want to say. Running thru the words that you want to say over and over in your head may help you when you actually go to say it out loud as well. Anyways I'm sure once you feel more comfortable you will be able to speak more relaxed and any friends you make won't care about or even really notice any stutter you may have left.

As for a new place with new people, well yeah it will be nerveracking I'm sure but also remember that every other student starting the same year as you will be in the same boat, everyone will be new, nervous and not know anyone else either. And so this will make it an ideal time to make new friends. Not sure what you mean by bb career but as for eating I'm sure you'd have some breaks in between to relax and eat?

Studying wise I think many others will also be in the same situation, you'll just have to get used to the new routine and figure out a balance between your work and the rest of your life. You may have to discipline yourself to get used to working more than before but in certain cases I'm sure you will find some things won't require as much time as you thought.

I wish you good luck, hope it gets well for you! And you've actually got me thinking that I'll likely be with the same worries a year from now :3

Milos
September 5th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I'm not yet in college, I will likely be applying this year and if so then next Fall I'm going to be similarly nervous as you, I have no doubt. While I have no college experience I'll still try to respond.

For stuttering, you may just have to force yourself to relax and be calm and slowly say the words that you want to say. Running thru the words that you want to say over and over in your head may help you when you actually go to say it out loud as well. Anyways I'm sure once you feel more comfortable you will be able to speak more relaxed and any friends you make won't care about or even really notice any stutter you may have left.

As for a new place with new people, well yeah it will be nerveracking I'm sure but also remember that every other student starting the same year as you will be in the same boat, everyone will be new, nervous and not know anyone else either. And so this will make it an ideal time to make new friends. Not sure what you mean by bb career but as for eating I'm sure you'd have some breaks in between to relax and eat?

Studying wise I think many others will also be in the same situation, you'll just have to get used to the new routine and figure out a balance between your work and the rest of your life. You may have to discipline yourself to get used to working more than before but in certain cases I'm sure you will find some things won't require as much time as you thought.

I wish you good luck, hope it gets well for you! And you've actually got me thinking that I'll likely be with the same worries a year from now :3

Thanks man ! BB=bodybuilding and nah there are no breaks :/

Milos
September 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM
bumppppp