PDA

View Full Version : Unnatural Cause of Earthquakes

Bull
September 4th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Yesterday we experienced 11, that's right eleven, earthquakes in Oklahoma. The center was about 30 miles from where I live. We felt them. We do not live on, or near a fault line. The cause of the earthquakes were not from the natural shifting of earth's crust, it was the result of pumping waste into the subsurface and causing unnatural movement. The state has mandated the stoppage of the practice within 7 days. I will be very surprised if the shut down is permanent. The energy lobby in our state is very strong. What is good for the oil interests always seem to be above what is good for land preservation. We must become better stewards of our planet.

Dalcourt
September 4th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Well maybe peope really see that as some kind of warning shot...but I doubt they do as long as they aren't harmed personally.

Leprous
September 4th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Well, let's hope they got the memo and will actually stop this time.

candorgen
September 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
If only the stoppage was permanent, not 7 days.

Atlantis
September 4th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Let's hope they do stop. Since buildings not near fault lines are considered to not be at risk, they tend not to have extra protection measures so if something bad was to happen, it could potentially be a lot worse and cause a lot more damage.

Canadian Dream
September 4th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I hear ya, it's the same here in Alberta but the opposite. Because people work in the oil industry everyone always complains when there's something to oppose its development such as a raise in corporate tax or royalties, which is unfortunate. People need to start thinking about the long-term consequences of what we're doing to the planet and developping the oil and gas industry is not going to help. Thankfully we have as our provincial government a very left-wing party that is starting to reverse all the crap our right wing conservatives have done to the province. One thing I am glad the US did is reject the Keystone pipeline, which everyone here whined about for like a year.

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Thats what happens when you legalize corruption.

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I hear ya, it's the same here in Alberta but the opposite. Because people work in the oil industry everyone always complains when there's something to oppose its development such as a raise in corporate tax or royalties, which is unfortunate. People need to start thinking about the long-term consequences of what we're doing to the planet and developping the oil and gas industry is not going to help. Thankfully we have as our provincial government a very left-wing party that is starting to reverse all the crap our right wing conservatives have done to the province. Once thing I am glad the US did is reject the Keystone pipeline, which everyone here whined about for like a year.

Here in New Brunswick 3 years ago the conservatives wanted to start fracking to pay off the debt and we said no.

Canadian Dream
September 4th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Here in New Brunswick 3 years ago the conservatives wanted to start fracking to pay off the debt and we said no.

Good for you guys don't get into the same shitshow we're in now.

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Good for you guys don't get into the same shitshow we're in now.

Problem is how PM is pushing for the Energy East Pipeline

candorgen
September 5th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Canadian Dream

Trudeau the somewhat disappointing, by title? :D

(Not implying I am systematically against Trudeau entirely though.)

phuckphace
September 5th, 2016, 12:52 PM
that feel when you just wanna drill and make a measly couple billion but accidentally set off Ragnarök

mattsmith48
September 5th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Canadian Dream

I was talking about Brian Gallant the PM of New Brunswick.

candorgen
September 5th, 2016, 03:09 PM

Ah right, my mistake. Didn't realise that provinces of Canada had PMs.

jamie_n5
September 5th, 2016, 07:28 PM
I have heard also that they think that fracking in oil fields may help earthquakes to happen.

Canadian Dream
September 5th, 2016, 07:56 PM

Canadian Dream

Ah right, my mistake. Didn't realise that provinces of Canada had PMs.

Lol you almost got me too here please refer to the title as Premier because most people understand PM as Prime Minister

candorgen
September 6th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Lol you almost got me too here please refer to the title as Premier because most people understand PM as Prime Minister

Right :P that makes more sense.

Uniquemind
September 6th, 2016, 05:04 PM
It's stupid that the state allows that practice to occur without making 100% of the damages be the cost upon the business-oil industry that is profiting off the fracking.

Let a true assets VS liabilities balance sheet be shown.

Obviously it's caught in a legalese battle because we cannot prove direct casual links of fracking to the earthquake and therefore the damages and emotional distress of the people in that area of the country.

In the future I'd like to see a nation develop less on regional economic dependence and model itself after a cellular interconnected network.

Cadanance00
September 6th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Maybe they could frack Switzerland and shake em up a little. They're too damn quiet.