PDA

View Full Version : Random car question I should know the answer to, but don't

PinkFloyd
September 2nd, 2016, 01:06 AM
It's not really about cars, but rather their names.

Most regular everyday cars have normal car names like the following 12 car names as well as many, MANY more:

Chevrolet Impala
Honda Civic
Mitsubishi Galant
Dodge Avenger
Buick Park Avenue
Kia Spectra
Nissan Altima
Pontiac Grand Am
Ford Mustang
Mini Cooper
Hyundai Velostar
Chrysler Sebring
and so on....

I understand that there are exceptions to this rule. My very own car is called the "Mazda 3." It certainly is not luxurious.

However, once you cross into luxury cars, the names change to letters and numbers. See the following 12 car names as well as many, MANY more:

BMW 750i
Mercedes Benz SL-550
Ferrari F430
Audi A4
Kia K900
Lexus GS350
Cadillac CTS
Audi R8
Acura TL
Tesla Model S
Lincoln MKZ
Infiniti Q50

There are exceptions to this too, of course. The Rolls-Royce Phantom is a perfect example.

My overall question is this: Why is it a trend for a normal car to have a real name, but its luxury counterpart is letters and numbers. They do have uses and make sense (BMW 740i is the base model of the 7 series lineup and the 760li is the top trim.)

Endeavour
September 2nd, 2016, 07:37 AM
I've just done a bit of research. Apparently they want you more expensive brands want you to focus on the brand rather than the model. It's similar with phones, like the iPhone/Galaxy ranges, they use numbers and like your example they get better as they go up, ie. the 6s Plus is better than the standard 6s. Apparently, if we follow your example, you are more likely to say 'I drive a BMW' rather than 'I drive a 740i'.

Flapjack
September 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM
I've just done a bit of research. Apparently they want you more expensive brands want you to focus on the brand rather than the model. It's similar with phones, like the iPhone/Galaxy ranges, they use numbers and like your example they get better as they go up, ie. the 6s Plus is better than the standard 6s. Apparently, if we follow your example, you are more likely to say 'I drive a BMW' rather than 'I drive a 740i'.
Yeah that makes sense buddy but for all that money I would want a car with a cool name xD

Endeavour
September 2nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Yeah that makes sense buddy but for all that money I would want a car with a cool name xD

But if you have a fancy brand surely you would want to show that off :D

PinkFloyd
September 3rd, 2016, 01:51 AM

The middle luxury cars like BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Cadillac, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, and others have half cool names. The brand is enough. If you want the name to be fully cool you have to go to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Maserati, Maybach, and others. :lol:

That's the key right there. I figured the whole thing out. Alright, so I'm gonna talk about three cars. The first is cheap, the second is upscale, and the third is very prestigious. The first car is a Chevrolet Cavalier. There's no playing around with the name. It's a Chevy Cavalier and nothing more. No focus on Chevy and no focus on Cavalier. The second car is a Lexus LS460. The key here (as you pointed out) is to notice that it's a Lexus and nothing more. The fact that it's an LS460 as opposed to the cheaper and less loaded LS400 only matters to the owner and enthusiasts, not random everyday people. The everyday people just need to know it's a Lexus. Our third car is a Rolls-Royce Phantom. Both of those names mean a lot to anyone. Rolls-Royce is a household name that conveys luxury beyond anyone's wildest dreams and Phantom backs it up. There's no focus on Rolls-Royce because it doesn't need to justify its self to anyone like a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac Audi, Infiniti, Acura, Volvo and Saab.