PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself a feminist?

AussieNicholas
August 31st, 2016, 02:03 AM
1. Do you consider yourself a feminist?

No.

2. Why/why not?

I think when you identify yourself as belong to a certain group or movement or ideology, you make it easier for people to throw all these labels and stereotypes at you. If you call yourself a feminist, some people might label you an SJW or a man-hater. This is why I don't call myself an MRA either, even though I think men's issues aren't talked about as much as they should be. When you put these labels on yourself, people are going to just assume you believe in everything that someone else with that label believes and that you don't have your own individual opinions.

So what about you guys/gals?

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I do.

devotionnel
August 31st, 2016, 02:21 AM
I find myself to be more of an egalitarian. Some feminists (not all) tend to think they're superior to men, not equal to men. Which should be the whole point of feminism, but oh well...

Periphery
August 31st, 2016, 02:23 AM

No.

2. Why/why not?

I think when you identify yourself as belong to a certain group or movement or ideology, you make it easier for people to throw all these labels and stereotypes at you. If you call yourself a feminist, some people might label you an SJW or a man-hater. This is why I don't call myself an MRA either, even though I think men's issues aren't talked about as much as they should be. When you put these labels on yourself, people are going to just assume you believe in everything that someone else with that label believes and that you don't have your own individual opinions.

So what about you guys/gals?

Well feminism isn't actually about man hating at all, it's just the idiots over at buzzfeed who are feminazi's who hate all men and all men are bad. Feminism is about being equal, actual feminists don't hate all men which I think is a massive point you are missing out on here.

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 02:26 AM
I find myself to be more of an egalitarian. Some feminists (not all) tend to think they're superior to men, not equal to men. Which should be the whole point of feminism, but oh well...

Feminism =/= hating men.

You're confused with misandry, which isn't feminism :)

devotionnel
August 31st, 2016, 02:34 AM
Feminism =/= hating men.

You're confused with radical feminism or misandry, which again, isn't true feminism :)

Yeah, I get that. Normal, lowkey feminists (why I stated not all) who believe in equality are completely rad with me. I respect that. But the radical feminists who say they hate men and that they're all homophobic and sexist really do not get respect from me at all.

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 02:42 AM
Yeah, I get that. Normal, lowkey feminists (why I stated not all) who believe in equality are completely rad with me. I respect that. But the radical feminists who say they hate men and that they're all homophobic and sexist really do not get respect from me at all.

Agreed. There's some reeeally out there people that are fukin crazy and use "feminism" as their basis for their actions.

Kawaii Bean
August 31st, 2016, 03:23 AM
No. But I do believe in women having equal rights as men. I wish a male would look down on me, watch he end up in Hell Fire.

Flapjack
August 31st, 2016, 03:38 AM
Yes because I want gender equality.
No. But I do believe in women having equal rights as men. I wish a male would look down on me, watch he end up in Hell Fire.
Then you are a feminist buddy xD Somehow people have made the few most radical feminists represent the whole movement :)

AussieNicholas
August 31st, 2016, 04:17 AM
Well feminism isn't actually about man hating at all, it's just the idiots over at buzzfeed who are feminazi's who hate all men and all men are bad. Feminism is about being equal, actual feminists don't hate all men which I think is a massive point you are missing out on here.

I actually think you've misunderstood my point. I said that if one calls themselves a feminist, then they make themselves vulnerable to the stereotypes and stigmas that surround the feminist movement in the 21st century. I don't believe all feminists hate men. There is one feminist who I actually have a great deal of respect for: Christina Hoff Sommers. She's addressed issues facing both men and women, and she's willing to admit that there are problems within the feminist movement.

I simply choose not to call myself a feminist because I don't want to be roped into a category and be expected to push every idea within feminism.

Vlerchan
August 31st, 2016, 05:42 AM
Radical Feminist.

Better matching of capabilities with roles leads to net welfare gains.

Feminism =/= hating men.

You're confused with radical feminism or misandry, which again, isn't true feminism :)
Radical feminism =\= hating men.

You're confusing misandry which, again, isn't true radical feminism :)

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 05:52 AM
Radical feminism =\= hating men.

You're confusing misandry which, again, isn't true radical feminism :)

It isn't? The more you know I guess :P Kind of assumed they were the same, so thanks for correcting me.

Reise
August 31st, 2016, 06:13 AM

No.

2. Why/why not?

Because humans have been made differently, it's not right for women to have the same rights as men, it's not natural.
[/joke]

I always found odd to identify myself as that or that, it's quite easy to fall in dogmatism and just says that when you encounter a new issue something like that goes in your mind "I'm ***, so I think that ***".
Though I have nothing against the ideals of feminism I wouldn't consider myself feminist because some of my ideas go in the same directions.
Also gotta take into consideration that I'm like 0/i% of the time activist.

Vlerchan
August 31st, 2016, 08:47 AM
It isn't? The more you know I guess :P Kind of assumed they were the same, so thanks for correcting me.
Yeah. Since Liberal feminists and Conservatives have more media power than actual Radical Feminists - Radical Feminism as a slur became the more entrenched.

---

Its also worth noting that Feminism in its most modern incarnation is more a means of analysis that a specific ideological standpoint. The views within are quite diverse.

CoolGuy108
August 31st, 2016, 10:57 AM
I consider myself a person who is for equal rights of all humans(note no gender or race is involved)

So im an Equalist lol.

We should stop dividing people by sex and stop dividing people by race as well. No point.

I guess by default this would make me in some ways a "femenist", but it would have to be first and perhaps a little bit of the second wave of femenism. This current third wave is pure cancer. It cancers so hard it could give aids cancer. It is vile and cruel and demeaning towards both men and women who dont agree with this third wave of femenism.

jamie_n5
August 31st, 2016, 11:03 AM
No I am not a feminist. I like and respect girls. I also think that they should be equal to guys in work and pay.

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 11:06 AM
@ Everyone that says they want equal rights for everyone but their not a feminist

...why not?

lliam
August 31st, 2016, 11:28 AM
I'm a dude. It would be paradoxical if I'd call myself a feminist.

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm a dude. It would be paradoxical if I'd call myself a feminist.

How so? A man wanting equal rights for women isn't paradoxical...

lliam
August 31st, 2016, 11:42 AM
How so? A man wanting equal rights for women isn't paradoxical...

ok, for those dudes you mentioned it isn't.

but for me as a individual dude. cause I don't want equal rights just for women but for every being. even if it's an AI.

Mars
August 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM
ok, for those dudes you mentioned it isn't.

but for me as a individual dude. cause I don't want equal rights just for women but for every being. even if it's an AI.

That isn't paradoxical either lol. Many feminists also advocate for other rights and minority groups as well

Paraxiom
August 31st, 2016, 12:38 PM
Feminism as I see it is a diverse array of views which collectively advocate for more rights for women (generally).

If feminism would to mean advocating for equality between females and males in all aspects of life that do not need to make unnecessary differences between them (most/all occupations, voting, etc), and if it also would mean resisting abuse / general harm specifically directed at females for implicit/explicit reason that they are female, then I'm a feminist. The only issue I'd have is equating the word 'feminism' with 'equality of the sexes', because it's clear that it says 'feminism'.

As I see it, this feminism I'd be a part of would do its thing and reach its goal in a finite time. At that point the feminism would be of more historical than practical value, and/or would change itself so that it maintains the goal it was previously building toward, which would need much less effort in theory. Its emphasis would wane, but it would still be there.

As analogy, we wouldn't be having LGBT+ pride parades as much at all if LGBT+ people were not at a disadvantage in life in general because of being LGBT+.

Kawaii Bean
August 31st, 2016, 05:56 PM
Yes because I want gender equality.

Then you are a feminist buddy xD Somehow people have made the few most radical feminists represent the whole movement :)

I wouldn't really say I am because I don't participate in the movement, more like I have my own belief parallel to feminism. Like I said, I won't have a guy look down on me because of my being a female, but I don't think that qualifies me as a feminist exactly.

Pazzi
August 31st, 2016, 07:38 PM
I consider myself a feminist. I believe men and women should be treated equally politically, economically and socially.
I also see the attempts to replace feminism with the term ‘egalitarianism’ as a means to conceal the historical struggle of woman to enact a set of equal rights and achieve equality in our society.
When we replace it with other terms, we are belittling the struggles and the disadvantages that women faced throughout history and face today. This belittlement is the actions of a still patriarchal society who wish to maintain an impression of gender equity.

Vlerchan
August 31st, 2016, 07:44 PM
I also agree that the turn to the use of the term egalitarianism has been an attempt to downsize the struggle of woman - and in the process engage in retroactive apologetics for men.

More or less all post-feminism is anti-feminism.

ethan-s
August 31st, 2016, 08:40 PM
Oh hell naw. Ime, most femtards are loud, highly disagreeable, inherently unlikable sexist b****s. Most of them complain about women's rights while at the same time supporting Champaigns that accept $$$$ from regimes that stifle women's rights.

That said I do support equal rights for men and women.

Amethyst Rose
August 31st, 2016, 08:58 PM
Yes. I believe in equal rights for men and women, and all races for that matter. No one should treat any gender/race as inferior.

Drewboyy
August 31st, 2016, 08:59 PM
Oh hell naw. Ime, most femtards are loud, highly disagreeable, inherently unlikable sexist b****s. Most of them complain about women's rights while at the same time supporting Champaigns that accept $$$$ from regimes that stifle women's rights.

That said I do support equal rights for men and women.

The definition of feminism is equality of the genders but lets face it- now it's just a bunch of women who's religion is tumblr and think all men's dicks should be cut off and burn in hell.

Amethyst Rose
August 31st, 2016, 09:12 PM
The definition of feminism is equality of the genders but lets face it- now it's just a bunch of women who's religion is tumblr and think all men's dicks should be cut off and burn in hell.

And they have no right to call themselves feminists, because gender equality entails respect for both genders, which obviously they lack.

PlasmaHam
August 31st, 2016, 09:52 PM
I do not see myself a feminist, not at all.

I would of considered myself a feminist maybe 90 years ago, but since then its all gone downhill. There is gender equality today, whether or not you want to admit it. The woman lesser pay thing, that makes no sense. If women are actually paid considerably less than men, then why don't all major companies just hire women? They can make more money that way if the pay gap really existed.

Feminists today are too focused on defending very unhealthy fat girls, sleeping with every man they can find(unless they are lesbians of course), spreading anti-semitism, rejecting basic biology, accusing any man they dislike of rape, and otherwise being an anti-male snob.

If feminists really want to stand for women, then why don't they protest the countries that actually oppress women instead of waving around dildos protesting guns for some reason.

Mars
September 1st, 2016, 11:45 AM
>tfw people think feminism is morbidly obese tumblr SJWs holding signs saying "Learn my pronouns"
>tfw it's actually the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men

Well consider me triggered, boys.

Feminists today are too focused on defending very unhealthy fat girls, sleeping with every man they can find(unless they are lesbians of course), spreading anti-semitism, rejecting basic biology, accusing any man they dislike of rape, and otherwise being an anti-male snob.

This isn't feminism. Please learn definitions.

If feminists really want to stand for women, then why don't they protest the countries that actually oppress women instead of waving around dildos protesting guns for some reason.
Uh, they do? Have you not seen the massive amounts of movements in India, the Middle East, and Africa?
Oh, but my bad, it's probably because a large amount of them are raped, murdered, or kidnapped and news never gets out.

PlasmaHam
September 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM
>tfw people think feminism is morbidly obese tumblr SJWs holding signs saying "Learn my pronouns"
>tfw it's actually the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men

I'm not saying the basic principles of feminism are defending unhealthy lifestyles and liberal propaganda, but that is what modern feminism basically is. Look at the news every once and awhile.
Well consider me triggered, boys.
That word cracks me up whenever I see it.
This isn't feminism. Please learn definitions.
Note, I said feminists, not feminism. There is a huge difference between the idea of feminism and feminists as they exist today. And sense we are asking whether you consider yourself a feminist and not asking whether you support core feminism, it seems appropriate.
Uh, they do? Have you not seen the massive amounts of movements in India, the Middle East, and Africa?
Oh, but my bad, it's probably because a large amount of them are raped, murdered, or kidnapped and news never gets out.
I was talking about feminists in Western countries, not people currently living in those countries. Why don't you see protests in the US or Europe considering these actions in other countries? Why don't you see feminists spreading the news of these horrible actions and trying to convince western government to take action against it. But no, dildo waving and biology denying is going to do so much more for women around the world.

Mars
September 1st, 2016, 11:54 AM
I'm not saying the basic principles of feminism are defending unhealthy lifestyles and liberal propaganda, but that is what modern feminism basically is. Look at the news every once and awhile.

That word cracks me up whenever I see it.

Modern feminism isnt even a thing.

Fighting or advocating for equal rights and treatment for both men and women is feminism. There is no modern or older version.

>tfw rapist neonazi men think it's okay to call a submissive, totally innocent woman a bitch
http://i.imgur.com/lJYjV7W.jpg

Jokes jokes

Vlerchan
September 1st, 2016, 05:44 PM
Look at the news every once and awhile.
I searched Feminism Op-eds on the Gaurdian, a British liberal-daily. I picked the latest to start and then opened some with more provocative titles.

How a murdered woman became invisible in the coverage of her death (01.09.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/sep/01/how-a-murdered-woman-became-invisible-in-the-coverage-of-her-death) covers media reporting on the murder of three boys and their mother.
Here's how to talk to women wearing headphones – without being an idiot (30.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/30/heres-how-to-talk-to-a-women-wearing-headphones-without-being-an-idiot) discusses the sexist tropes that continue to advise men on relationship issues.
Mills & Boon: zero shades of feminism (26.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/26/mills-boon-feminism-val-derbyshire-snobbery-romance-women) discusses how a series of books which feeds the image that woman 'crave to be swept away by overpowering, macho men' cannot be re-read as feminist.
The hotly contested Olympic medal table of sexism (22.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2016/aug/22/the-hotly-contested-olympic-medal-table-of-sexism) discusses the everyday sexism of Olympic commentary.
Sex in return for shelter: homeless women face desperate choices (22.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/aug/22/sex-in-return-for-shelter-homeless-women-face-desperate-choices-government-theresa-may) discuss the exploitation-prone circumstance of female homelessness as prompting the need for more woman-only shelters (there's already a disproportionate amount.)
Three things that need to happen before I defend men from Olympic sexism (16.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2016/aug/22/the-hotly-contested-olympic-medal-table-of-sexism) discusses how the sexual objectification of men isn't a big deal vis--vis that of woman (I don't agree with this one, massively).
Feminists should end their distrust of science (14.08.2016) (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/14/feminists-end-distrust-science-killer-whales) discusses science as it should inform feminist theory.
In none of these - no matter how bad the reporting is, and lots of the reporting is quite bad - do the stories centre around 'defending very unhealthy fat girls, sleeping with every man they can find(unless they are lesbians of course), spreading anti-semitism, rejecting basic biology, accusing any man they dislike of rape, and otherwise being an anti-male snob'.

Fighting or advocating for equal rights and treatment for both men and women is feminism. There is no modern or older version.
Feminist historians have long recognised a first, second and third wave of feminism.

Babs
September 1st, 2016, 05:53 PM
Do you identify as a feminist?
I'm not terribly involved with the movement, but yes, I loosely identify as a feminist.

Why/Why not?
Because I agree with the ideas (except for the tumblry "only women are allowed to reclaim the slur bitch" type stuff) and appreciate its place in history.

An afterthought: imo my opinion it's a moot point to try and get people to identify themselves a certain way because their ideas line up with the label. It doesn't matter whether they call themselves a feminist, but instead it's their actual, raw thoughts that matter. tho I could be wrong on that one.

everlong
September 1st, 2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah I think I am. Just not a Tumblr feminist, if you get what I mean.

Paraxiom
September 1st, 2016, 06:39 PM
There is gender equality today, whether or not you want to admit it.

This is very much not what I think about when I consider myself a feminist. With the diversity in how feminism is interpreted as a definition, it's a big statement to say 'feminists today' are what you said.

Yeah I think I am. Just not a Tumblr feminist, if you get what I mean.

Yes, Tumblr does have its hyper-reactive areas...

Perhaps the outspoken extreme areas of feminism in its many forms, yes, but not 'modern feminism'.

Note, I said feminists, not feminism. There is a huge difference between the idea of feminism and feminists as they exist today. And sense we are asking whether you consider yourself a feminist and not asking whether you support core feminism, it seems appropriate.

Or I could be open to seeing feminism as a range of viewpoints, where being a feminist literally means going with feminism in some way.

It doesn't make sense to say that there is a huge difference between the ideas of feminism, and feminists. It would be like saying the same between theism and theists.

I was talking about feminists in Western countries [...]

Feminists today [...]

Sounded general, but is fine if you meant specifically to not the West; would be appreciated though if it were specified already.

Mars
September 1st, 2016, 07:21 PM
Feminist historians have long recognised a first, second and third wave of feminism.

I... I knew this...

Partially mistaken then lol my bad.

I guess what I was trying to say was that "modern feminism" being defined as my previously stated sarcastic "morbidly obese tumblr SJWs holding signs saying "Learn my pronouns"" is wrong, as it isn't feminism in the first place, will never be, and shouldn't be recognised as such.

Flapjack
September 3rd, 2016, 03:01 AM
There is still gender inequality in the west and so I do think it is important to highlight it and encourage change. Like with any movement there are people that are too radical but I don't think we should dismiss the whole movement because of that. Because of this reason, I am a feminist.

The Byrd
September 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
I believe in equal rights but we all know that equality as a whole will never be achieved.

ThisBougieLife
September 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I consider myself a supporter of equal rights and opportunities for both men and women. By some definitions, this would make me a "feminist". I choose not to use the label because it carries with it so many connotations and associations, many of which I want very little to do with.

LewisConroy
September 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Sort of. Most feminists do want true equality, but a very select few radicals (who unfortunately get the most exposure) make me reluctant to take the label, which is a shame, because the basic idea of feminism is definitely needed (although, not in the places most feminists, even the good ones seem to focus on), and there are problems that can be fixed for both genders that feminism can fix. If feminism was to filter out the very few radicals, I would happily be one, but, until then I'm going to call myself an egalitarian.

MaeFae
September 11th, 2016, 11:58 PM
I don't consider myself a feminist, I find the term has just been so soiled in the last five years that calling myself that brings with it so much unwanted hate. On top of that, we pretty well have equality in the western world; feminism is greatly needed in the middle east and I think that's where the focus should be.

Melodic
September 12th, 2016, 12:53 AM

Yes.

2. Why/why not?

I'm a big supporter for equal rights in general. I wish we could live in a world where each person was treated with the same respect and would have the opportunity to earn the same achievements as the person next to them.