PDA

View Full Version : What should I study?

PSDX
August 30th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Hello.
Next year I'm gonna go to university. My problem is that I'm not sure if I should study information design, what isn't uninteresting and the chance to get employed is high, although I'm not sure if that's the right thing for me, or if I should study directing what I'd really love to do, while I might not be able to earn enough money ( depending on how successful I get).
What do you think?

bougainvillea
August 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I've found that people who go to uni that choose the wrong subject usually find themselves in a crisis because they don't even like what they studied. If you really think you have enough potential for the major you'd love to do, I recommend you go for it! Not everyone goes to university to either way it'll be a good experience. :)

jamie_n5
September 4th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I think that you need to study something that interests you and that you will enjoy doing. If you don't do that you may end up being very miserable.

Atlantis
September 4th, 2016, 05:45 PM
You should do whatever subject makes you feel happy. What do you mean by not earn enough money? Not enough to pay the tuition fees? And don't forget there are alternative paths that don't need degrees, you could consider an apprenticeship.

Ben7
September 5th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Generally speaking I'd say, at least from what I've heard, that choosing that subject which you are passionate about will increase your chances of doing well (because you actually like what you are doing) and overall you will be happier.

If still hesitant I've heard some that go for instance into music because that's their true passion but because of associated risks or hesitation they also either double major or minor in something else from which they can more easily find a steady job, as a safety net to fall back in should their main plan not end up working. You could consider that. And in some cases even as double majors they could complement each other in different ways (i.e. Music or film and business or something related)

jake97aus
September 15th, 2016, 11:18 AM
As others have said its good to have a safety net, so perhaps find out a bit more about the double degrees your university offers and whether they suit your interests. But yea speaking from experience, don't study something your not at least half interested in coz you'll end up hating it

Andyyy95
September 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Follow your interests! Do something that you enjoy, bare in mind you'll be sticking with it for at least 3 years (if you do decide to go to university), so it's important to find out exactly what field interests you most!