PDA

View Full Version : Which Internet Browser Should I Use?

DriveAlive
August 30th, 2016, 01:11 AM
I am setting up my laptop for college and I cannot decide between making either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome the default internet browser. Which one would be best for general use in college?

devotionnel
August 30th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Microsoft Edge (prepares to get attacked by Flapjack)

Nah personally I would choose Chrome over any other browser, mainly because I'm used to the interface and I find it generally easier to use than Edge.

Endeavour
August 30th, 2016, 01:29 AM
I generally use Chrome. I've always found it nice, quick and easy to use. I also use Firefox from time to time as well so I can use chat on here :)

Flapjack
August 30th, 2016, 01:41 AM
Microsoft Edge (prepares to get attacked by @Flapjack (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=122060))

Nah personally I would choose Chrome over any other browser, mainly because I'm used to the interface and I find it generally easier to use than Edge.
https://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4674983+_055fb6d75865d14958a50dbcc93f5fdb.png
https://s12.postimg.io/d5wod8w0d/Untitled_1.png
I will never understand people that like Edge :P

DriveAlive
August 30th, 2016, 01:55 AM
I am not technologically savvy at all and this laptop will be used for college work almost exclusively. I will not be playing games or that sort of thing on it. I really do not have much of an understanding of technology so I am sure most of the differences would be pretty well lost on me. Since I used an iPad for almost all of my internet needs, I find Edge to be aesthetically more pleasing as it is similar in a way to Safari. I find Chrome a little harder to use just because I am not familiar with it an it seems to be zoomed out as compared to Edge.

Flapjack
August 30th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I am not technologically savvy at all and this laptop will be used for college work almost exclusively. I will not be playing games or that sort of thing on it. I really do not have much of an understanding of technology so I am sure most of the differences would be pretty well lost on me. Since I used an iPad for almost all of my internet needs, I find Edge to be aesthetically more pleasing as it is similar in a way to Safari. I find Chrome a little harder to use just because I am not familiar with it an it seems to be zoomed out as compared to Edge.
Tbh dude it doesn't sound like any of the differences would effect you much :) One thing that might sway you however is all the add ons for chrome including stuff like ad block :)

DriveAlive
August 30th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Tbh dude it doesn't sound like any of the differences would effect you much :) One thing that might sway you however is all the add ons for chrome including stuff like ad block :)

Would you care to elaborate about some of the differences and what the add ons like ad block do?

Flapjack
August 30th, 2016, 03:09 AM
Would you care to elaborate about some of the differences and what the add ons like ad block do?
Sureee :) Below here is a table of the performance difference between them.
https://s16.postimg.io/wq8ekhiv9/browser.png

I doubt any of the performance differences would effect you though buddy :)

Most modern browsers use a minimalist design but in my opinion Edge takes it too far to the point where it isn't as useful.

Ad block is an extension that works with browsers like chrome and firefox to remove all adds, including those at the beginning of youtube videos. You can get it on Edge but it is a lil more difficult :)

There are soooo many other extensions buddy and I belive chrome has the most :)

Here is a lonk to them buddy :) (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions)

You probably won't find anything useful on the main page but I have found loads :) For example I used to have an extension that told crunchyroll I was in the USA so I could accsess anime exclusive to the US :)

Desynchronized
August 30th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Nothing beats chrome. :)

Uranus
August 30th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I would go with Chrome, especially if you're an Android user and are already used to using Chrome. Besides Microsoft Edge is shit

Reise
August 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Firefox.
Because Internet freedom is great.

eric2001
August 30th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Chrome is no. 1 and it's 2-100.

EuRo
August 30th, 2016, 05:38 PM
For school and college I would recommend Chrome, especially if you can utilize some of the online applications Google provides. Chrome automatically syncs a lot of stuff, so it can sometimes be really convenient.

I would also recommend checking out Firefox if you like settings and more general freedom, etc.

As for extensions I recommend uBlock Origin and HTTPS-Everywhere. There's also Privacy Badger and Adblock Plus (ABP) if you want to be extra sure nothing is tracking you.

uBlock Origin blocks ads and some malicious/tracking scripts on sites. It is also lighter-weight than ABP, which can be good if your laptop for college is lower-spec. With uBlock Origin you can also right click and block specific elements of a page if you wish.

HTTPS-Everywhere automatically makes traffic encrypted if a site has HTTPS. It can be very useful and can keep you more secure.

I personally would also disable third-party cookies for added security and privacy.

DriveAlive
August 30th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Thank you all for the input. I am very concerned about security, but I also like to have all of my passwords and logins saved for everything so I can just automatically get on to my websites for school. I really am looking for whatever will be fastest and give me the easiest interface to interact with for school type work. I am technologically illiterate, so imagine if you had to recommend a browser for your grandmother who was going to college.

Flapjack
August 30th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Thank you all for the input. I am very concerned about security, but I also like to have all of my passwords and logins saved for everything so I can just automatically get on to my websites for school. I really am looking for whatever will be fastest and give me the easiest interface to interact with for school type work. I am technologically illiterate, so imagine if you had to recommend a browser for your grandmother who was going to college.
if you are doing the auto login stuff it is the same for both, you can go into settings and see the passwords in plain text. The odds of someone doing this is low but if you're worried about security and leave your laptop open, it is a risk :)

I would use a password manager buddy, if you're interested in that I will tell you how to do it right but if not dw and make sure your password to your laptop is good!! I assume you know how to make a good password so won't lecture you on that :P

For me personally, chrome has the easier interface, it is easy to bookmark and is simple without the simplicity making the browser more difficult to use :)

PoseidonX43
August 30th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Firefox.
Because Internet freedom is great.

And you could also use DuckDuckGo browser, if you like privacy that is.
the government hates when you use any browsers like that so shhhh..:lol:
But if your running windows 10 your screwed anyways.:yes:

jamie_n5
August 31st, 2016, 03:46 PM
I vote for google Chrome.

DriveAlive
August 31st, 2016, 06:24 PM
I have been trying google chrome to do usual stuff and come on the forum and whatnot. To me, it seems rather zoomed out and not quite formatted right on most websites, including this forum. This does not seem to be a problem as much on Edge. I am not sure if this is adjustable or something that I should change in my settings.

EuRo
August 31st, 2016, 07:39 PM
DriveAlive Press CTRL and scroll in/out until it's at the right size.

TheMatrix
August 31st, 2016, 11:29 PM
Opera. It's basically Chrome, but your browsing habits go to the Norwegians instead of Google. ;-)

everlong
September 1st, 2016, 05:52 PM
Edge blows, no matter what you're using it for. Chrome/Firefox is best.

Periphery
September 2nd, 2016, 02:56 PM
Chrome all the way, firefox is good but I don't really use it anymore since they kinda went for a more chrome looking layout.

mrmee
September 5th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I recommend Opera for everyone. Its clean, simple, fast, and recently free. I learned about it from a school program that wouldnt work on chrome because microsoft silverlight is not compatible with chrome.

BrokenWingedPegasus
September 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Firefox or Chrome should be the best, in my opinion.

lliam
September 6th, 2016, 09:39 PM
There are soooo many other extensions buddy and I belive chrome has the most

And the more extensions you install, the more they may slow down the browser.

I don't using Chrome, but an Chromium based browser. Slimjet, cause its slim. It has it's own built in adblocker, which suits me more than Adblock does. And who really wants to can litter up this browser with extensions from the Chrome web store.

Murk.T.M
September 10th, 2016, 03:16 AM
This is probably done by now, but, edge I'd still in development~ish so I'd go with Chrome

LucaBaLuca
September 13th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I am setting up my laptop for college and I cannot decide between making either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome the default internet browser. Which one would be best for general use in college?

I would use Microsoft Edge because it is much faster than Google Chrome. The only thing I HATE about other internet browsers is that when you are on google or youtube, they always say you should download Google Chrome

AmyUK
September 20th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I use Chrome the whole time, never had a problem with it and I don't understand how a browser could be any faster than it is...

Sonicomsk
September 22nd, 2016, 04:49 AM
Opera(because it has its own build-in and free vpn, a lot of web-sites get blocked here in Russia, so this topic is more personal) or Chrome. If you like hanging out in chat here - Chrome is not your option, either. It doesn't support java

Kahn
September 22nd, 2016, 03:07 PM
Posted in wrong thread. My b.

I use Chrome.

I just installed java but I still can't get chat to work. What gives, VT?

Hyper
September 22nd, 2016, 03:48 PM
Posted in wrong thread. My b.

I use Chrome.

I just installed java but I still can't get chat to work. What gives, VT?

Chrome & Firefox don't want to work with Java these days because of 64bit trickery.

Could try Opera, personally I can't get mine to work on anything and I haven't had the time or care to figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

Kahn
September 22nd, 2016, 03:53 PM
Chrome & Firefox don't want to work with Java these days because of 64bit trickery.

Could try Opera, personally I can't get mine to work on anything and I haven't had the time or care to figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

Damn son, that's shitty. Oh well. I tried IE and Opera both, still doesn't work. \_(ツ)_/

Hyper
September 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
Damn son, that's shitty. Oh well. I tried IE and Opera both, still doesn't work. \_(ツ)_/

Then you are as cursed or f****d as I am. If I have too much time some day I'll try to fix it, but I bet it at best is as simple as editing/deleting some registry keys or its something messed up having to do with my router and DNS settings..

Miss Ophelia
October 14th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Firefox works for me. Lots of options and addons.

ThisBougieLife
October 15th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Chrome is what I use most of the time, but it has crashed far more than any other browser I've used. Chrome is not perfect, not by a long-shot. But it does seem to be a bit "snappier" than Firefox, in my experience.

LookItsOwen
October 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I have always used Chrome, and it always seems to work and never crash. Google seem to be supporting it well, and I just love how many extensions there are. Firefox is better if you want to get more into depth, but for ease of use, Chrome is best

DefinitelyNotY
November 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM
I found edge a little bit better, but Chrome has many useful extensions, so my vote goes for chrome

bonbon
November 10th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Firefox, with uBlock and Privacy Badger.

abisert
November 11th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I use Chrome about all the time. I used Firefox and Opera in the past, but Chrome really sticks to me. It's a very simple browser to use.

Weekender56
November 20th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Chrome is the only right answer

HououinKiyoma
November 21st, 2016, 09:03 AM
Im a linux user, so for me, Chrome or Chromium are the best.

bentheplayer
November 23rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
If its for college, why don't you ask the IT dept which is the recommended browser? They would be the best people to recommend you according to what ever elearning systems the college utilizes. The best browser would be one that is optimized for your college IT websites. As for security, the best browser is still tor/onion router but you probably don't need it.

Falcons_11
November 25th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Chrome is my first choice.

lliam
November 25th, 2016, 08:46 PM
any chromium based browser

brandon9
November 25th, 2016, 11:30 PM
I personally use Firefox, and believe it to be the best browser, best UI and most private (given that everything you do is tracked, at least its not reporting EVERYTHING to Google) of the current browsers. I use chrome at school though which annoys the fuck out of me.

For God's sake don't use Microsoft Edge though. Its shit.

auser_name
December 21st, 2016, 03:13 PM
Nope. Safari is clearly the best choice

FPFanatic
January 8th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Firefox. I find Chrome to be too resource-intensive

swiftshadowolf
January 15th, 2017, 11:02 PM
It depends on what you use the internet for. I use Chrome because I do a lot of downloading and the downloads simply pop up ready to drag at the bottom of the screen, it's quite easy.

LRSSS02
January 15th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Chrome, google chrome

Squiddlediddle
January 20th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Chrome