PDA

View Full Version : Remembering things

BravoZulu
August 27th, 2016, 06:14 AM
What strategies do people use to remember stuff?

I am really struggling at math, even when I work on it, I can't seem to be able to remember any of the formulas which are taught and always make stupid mistakes in tests and quizzes.

I get really jealous of other people in class who get taught something once and are able to just get it.

How do they do it?

Sailor Mars
August 27th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Study, flash cards, continuously doing problems... It all takes practice tbh. Also, check over your work a LOT and take your time. It will prevent you from making mistakes. If you're still having trouble understanding or remembering, ask a peer or your teacher to help too

Flapjack
August 27th, 2016, 06:26 AM
For revision just keep doing past papers buddy and as for people who get it first time in class, as long as you're paying attention it is just one of those things you either can do or can't do. If you can't then you have to revise more :)

Dalcourt
August 27th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Well I'm one of the people who hear or read something once and know it, sorry. I really can't give any tips on how to remember stuff since I just do naturally.
I hardly have to do revisions.

But from working with my friends...I can say that it's most important to find out what learning type you are first.
Like if you are a more visual learner or if you need to hear it.

Break the work up in small bits. Write the most important stuff down on cards and try to revise smaller units a few times per day. For example if you are a visual learner you can pin cards with basic mathematic formulas on you bathroom mirror and go through them while brushing your teeth. You can think of more convenient examples for yourself I'm sure.

TheFutureDoctor
August 27th, 2016, 08:07 AM
What strategies do people use to remember stuff?

I am really struggling at math, even when I work on it, I can't seem to be able to remember any of the formulas which are taught and always make stupid mistakes in tests and quizzes.

I get really jealous of other people in class who get taught something once and are able to just get it.

How do they do it?

Break it down. Assign portions for each day. Try to concentrate when the teacher is teaching (look who's speaking! :P ).
And math is all practice bro. The more problems you do, better chance of remembering atleast that's how it is here.

Microcosm
August 27th, 2016, 05:59 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

That^

I don't personally use it, but I've heard it's very effective.

Also, associating any series of things that you have to remember(the numbers in pi, for instance) with a story works a lot.

Both of those methods are scientifically proven and you can prove them for yourself. Our brain remembers pictures and stories in sequence much better than a text or spoken definition.

BravoZulu
August 27th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I wish my brain was wired different.

I wonder if there are meds I can take to enhance my learning?

Ben7
August 27th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Another option if nothing of the above works is to try to teach someone else (i.e. A friend or sibling) the material or specific problem- it is in teaching it or explaining it to someone else that you can truly determine whether you know it yourself or not, and if not, doing this will reveal what you are stuck on or what you don't understand. Once you can successfully explain it to someone, you are more likely to remember it because after all, you already taught it to someone. Good luck. As for meds, I wouldn't try to get into any of that.

ImCoolBeans
August 30th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I always recopy my notes. Do it by hand, not typing. It helps me a lot with memorizing and remembering material.

Endeavour
August 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM
For simple facts and stuff (like formulae, key words, vocab) I use Quizlet. You can type them in on a computer and then they can be used on your phone as well. For more general revision, what I do is start by looking at what is needed for the test, then make a big mindmap, then gradually condense it so I have a short, but good quality set of notes and the repetition also helps me to keep it in my mind longer. Also past papers can help if you're making minor mistakes as you get used to what the questions require and how you have to answer them in order to get the marks :)
Of course there are different types of learner, so you could be visual (mind maps), auditory (videos) or kineasthetic (do stuff). There's a survey here (http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a3_aspects/pages/vak_quest.htm) you could do.

Voice_Of_Unreason
September 2nd, 2016, 08:05 PM
I would first like to say that I really recommend you use handwriting over typing. I read somewhere that the action of writing by hand is more likely to make you remember what you wrote versus a lesser degree when you type it. Handwriting is also much easier when it comes to math, especially when you get into algebra and calculus.

For math, if I am not sure about some formula, I would copy down a couple sample problems. I would then attempt to solve those problems without referencing my book. If I get stuck, I would reference my book to figure out what I did wrong and work it again. I personally have worked an hour on a sample problem, probably attempting it 10 times before I finally figured it out.

jamie_n5
September 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Look over the formulas and things you need to remember frequently so they are fresh in your mind.

Taint
September 4th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I can't add much to what the others have said but some people think chewing gum helps the brain to remember things! I.e chew spearmint gum while studying idk History or something and try chewing the same gum when you need to remember. I haven't actually tried that but I've got a friend it works very well for. I find having people constantly repeating information at me helps me to memorise things.