PDA

View Full Version : Lead singer of Twenty One Pilots attacked at LeedsFest

devotionnel
August 27th, 2016, 03:43 AM
http://www.inquisitr.com/3456511/tyler-joseph-lead-singer-for-twenty-one-pilots-gets-attacked-by-fans-while-attempting-to-crowd-surf-video/

I had to make a thread of this, this actually made me so mad when I read about it.

At BBC Reading and Leeds festival last night, the band were playing a set and the microphone had failed to work multiple times and they were faced with small minor technical difficulties. When Tyler went to climb his podium (that he stands on during the performance of a specific song) he was denied access by security, so he decided to crowd surf to it instead. During the crowd surf, his shirt was ripped multiple times, his shoes were stolen and his characteristic mask was also stolen. He was also dropped onto the floor and some fans were grabbing onto him hard and wouldn't let go. He finally got to his platform and flat out ended the show, he said "That's it Josh we gotta end it, we gotta be done."

EjdRmS0co-w

Fans of the band or not, what do you think of this? How would you react if it was one of your favourite bands?

Mars
August 27th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Fuckin ridiculous... People are so blinded by the fact that it's a famous person that they like, that they forget that they're a human being too, and that their actions have consequences. Fuck them.

A band I would love to see live. Touche Amore, is known for their wild crowds and them jumping on stage and stage diving and shit, but practically no one touches the band because they know better. It's a responsibility when you go to live shows to keep yourself and keep the people around you safe, and have a good time too

Flapjack
August 27th, 2016, 04:01 AM
That's terrible!! Tbh I never understood crowd surfing, I remember reading a while ago about a female artist that was sexually assaulted while crowd surfing.

I don't get how you could call yourself a fan and do that to them. Maybe they though the shoe and mask would sell for a lot of money? But then why drop him? I don't know people can be cruel :(

devotionnel
August 27th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Here's a before and after photo of his shirt:

http://assets5.pop-buzz.com/2016/34/twenty-one-pilots-reading-festival-new-1472250958-responsive-large-0.jpg

I find it honestly disgusting that fans would act this way towards someone they respect. Hopefully they do end up playing at LeedsFest tonight as planned.

Amethyst Rose
August 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Respect between fans and artists should be mutual. Therefore I think Tyler ending the show was the right thing to do; the fans weren't being respectful to him, so why should they give them a show?

azure moonstone
August 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM
What a dickish thing to do, and I definitely disagree with intentionally trying to hurt anyone - let alone someone you invested your time and money to see.

Once again proving that people are assholes, as a general rule.

ImCoolBeans
August 27th, 2016, 12:17 PM
As an experienced concert go-er, I've seen many, many people with poor concert etiquette but I've never seen anything like that. There are just some things you don't do at a concert, and that's one of them. I'm always astounded by people who go to concerts and start fights. Everyone goes to have a good time and enjoy their favorite songs being played live, why fight and ruin it for everyone around you? It's messed up.

devotionnel
August 27th, 2016, 12:43 PM
As an experienced concert go-er, I've seen many, many people with poor concert etiquette but I've never seen anything like that. There are just some things you don't do at a concert, and that's one of them. I'm always astounded by people who go to concerts and start fights. Everyone goes to have a good time and enjoy their favorite songs being played live, why fight and ruin it for everyone around you? It's messed up.

You just put my thoughts into that post right there. It's like when you see people go to live concerts just to hate on the band. A bit pathetic, really...

Melodic
August 27th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I'm so bothered by this right now and I completely understand them ending the concert after that. That's way too much to handle mentally and physically. The sad part is, he had so much trust in his fans to do a crowd surf and they freaking mugged and dropped the guy.

The Byrd
August 29th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Should have listened to security. I'm just sayin', yo...

Flapjack
August 30th, 2016, 02:13 AM
That is soooo victim blaming!! Poor guy wanted to have fun and make the concert exciting for the fans! He didn't want to be attacked.

devotionnel
August 30th, 2016, 02:29 AM

But this has never been an issue with them before. Tyler put trust in his fans and they betrayed him.

Uniquemind
August 30th, 2016, 02:51 AM
But this has never been an issue with them before. Tyler put trust in his fans and they betrayed him.

At least the fans that come from wherever that geographical location was.

This is horrible and it just shows you how much celebrity fame, hi-jacks the fandom and they treat someone more like an idol-object, rather than, a human being.

I hope he doesn't have trust issues stemming from this but I understand if he does going forward.

Horrific, absolutely horrific.

City Kid
August 30th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I've seen acts who went straight into the pit, but still I've never seen anything close to this happen. It seems like hardcore fan boys and girls are a lot more dangerous than the so called "agressive" metalheads.

devotionnel
August 30th, 2016, 08:54 AM
At least the fans that come from wherever that geographical location was.

They played at a famous festival known in the UK, and although they've played in the same location in the past, I don't think it was for this festival. So there was a lot of people that you may not have expected to see there.

The Byrd
August 30th, 2016, 09:11 AM
If everyone would have just followed the rules, none of it would have happened.

lyhom
August 30th, 2016, 04:39 PM
If everyone would have just followed the rules, none of it would have happened.

we know you said that already :lol:

like yeah it could've been prevented but that doesn't make what actually happened okay lmao

Abhorrence
September 2nd, 2016, 03:47 AM
This happened at Reading, my friend went to Leeds and said it was fine. It's a common occurrence unfortunately, usually happens to females more though. Like, didn't some pop woman have to stop crowd surfing because she was being sexually assaulted? It's astounding really, I can barely talk to people I look up to when I meet them - let alone rip their fucking clothes off...

Periphery
September 4th, 2016, 05:17 AM

So that justifies the fact he got beaten up by a bunch of assholes? Like what kind of logic is this?

Flapjack
September 4th, 2016, 06:10 AM
This happened at Reading, my friend went to Leeds and said it was fine. It's a common occurrence unfortunately, usually happens to females more though. Like, didn't some pop woman have to stop crowd surfing because she was being sexually assaulted? It's astounding really, I can barely talk to people I look up to when I meet them - let alone rip their fucking clothes off...
Did it really??? My friend went to Reading!! I am going to ask him if he saw it xD

Yeah I can't remember the women you were talking about buddy but I remember the story :)

The Byrd
September 4th, 2016, 08:06 AM
So that justifies the fact he got beaten up by a bunch of assholes? Like what kind of logic is this?

No. They're all in the wrong.

devotionnel
September 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
No. They're all in the wrong.

You're literally blaming them when they've built the trust for the people they play for, they do this every single concert and there's been no problems at all, and after Reading there's been no other instances of the same mistake, so surely it's not their fault?

The Byrd
September 4th, 2016, 01:42 PM
You're literally blaming them when they've built the trust for the people they play for, they do this every single concert and there's been no problems at all, and after Reading there's been no other instances of the same mistake, so surely it's not their fault?

It's still their fault for disobeying what they were told by security. Rules are there for a reason.

devotionnel
September 4th, 2016, 02:49 PM
It's still their fault for disobeying what they were told by security. Rules are there for a reason.

Which weren't ever rules in the first place because they had never been established and still haven't.

The Byrd
September 4th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Which weren't ever rules in the first place because they had never been established and still haven't.

I figured that because of this: "he was denied access by security"

Flapjack
September 4th, 2016, 03:49 PM
That's like saying a kid that was told not to go out past 8pm but snuck out anyway is responsible if they get kidnapped. It is not his fault he was attacked. He didn't choose for it to happen. Stop victim blaming and excusing the attacker's actions.

lyhom
September 5th, 2016, 12:33 AM

not trying to be rude at all but you're like that douchebag who blames girls for being raped because they dressed "slutty" or were drunk

The Byrd
September 5th, 2016, 05:04 PM
That's like saying a kid that was told not to go out past 8pm but snuck out anyway is responsible if they get kidnapped. It is not his fault he was attacked. He didn't choose for it to happen. Stop victim blaming and excusing the attacker's actions.

I wouldn't blame the kid for being kidnapped but I would state that it could have been prevented had he listened to what he was told. I made it clear in multiple comments that I'm not excusing the attackers' actions. It was their fault for attacking the darn guy but it would be really ignorant to excuse the fact that it wouldn't have happened if the singer had just listened to the security blokes.

not trying to be rude at all but you're like that douchebag who blames girls for being raped because they dressed "slutty" or were drunk

Not at all.

Amethyst Rose
September 5th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't blame the kid for being kidnapped but I would state that it could have been prevented had he listened to what he was told. I made it clear in multiple comments that I'm not excusing the attackers' actions. It was their fault for attacking the darn guy but it would be really ignorant to excuse the fact that it wouldn't have happened if the singer had just listened to the security blokes.

Maybe so, but the "security blokes" didn't tell the fans to attack him. That was their choice to violate the trust between themselves and Tyler, and there's no excuse for that.

Mars
September 5th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Please keep this thread on topic and refrain from arguing with each other, thank you.

The Byrd
September 5th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Maybe so, but the "security blokes" didn't tell the fans to attack him. That was their choice to violate the trust between themselves and Tyler, and there's no excuse for that.

I'm not saying there is! I don't know how many times I have to say it; I'm not excusing them!