PDA

View Full Version : Moving...

amandapaulina
August 24th, 2016, 05:21 PM
When i was 5 years old my parents, due to work, decided to move my family from Poland to Northern Ireland. Ten years have passed and i'm now fluent in English and Polish, but speak more confidently in English than i do in Polish. Over these years the company my dad worked for grew and grew and now are wanting to open a factory in Poland... and wanting my dad to become one of the main 'directors' there. This would mean that our whole family would have to move back to Poland and i would be leaving in the right middle of my GCSE's. This wouldn't be that big of a problem as GCSE's don't count in Poland, but i would be thrown into a new school (liceum) for my last 3 years. I have a feeling i would really struggle in subjects like science or even math, as all the major terms and phrases, for example 'photosynthesis' or 'enzymes', i know in English and lack those polish words. This at the start could result in a downfall in my grades (which i have tried extremely hard to keep up, getting mainly straight A's and A*'s), meaning i may not be at a high enough standard for certain schools and may have to change my dream career (forensic pathology). My parents were very considerate with this decision and have asked me several times if this change was okay with me. I've always been a bright student and my parents are sure that i would catch up with lacking work in no time, even though every subject would be taught to me in a language i don't have school experience with, having complete only one year of playschool. I know both of my parents would love to move back, and had plans for that for when i finish school and am settled in work after college and are ecstatic that an opportunity has arose to go earlier. All of us miss our family back home and often miss out on family occasions such as birthdays, family Christmas gatherings etc.etc. But as i have spent practically my whole life here, i feel a sort of grief. I've never been a popular child. I have two best friends who I would honestly take a bullet for, and a small but sure group of friends that i cannot imagine living without. I haven't told anyone yet as i expect i will probably bust into tears. I'm having quite a hard time dealing with this, which has resulted in me crying myself to sleep the past couple nights. I have a diagnosed anxiety and panic disorder and i just don't know what i'm going to do. Tbh just typing this is kinda soothing, even if no one reads this. If anyone has gone through a similar situation, how did you get through it? And does this Grief-type-feeling ever go away? Thanks to anyone who may come across this message for caring maybe even just a little...

Phosphene
August 24th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Welcome to VT! I'm sorry to hear of your tough situation. On one hand, it would be good to go back to Poland since you would be with more of your family and your dad would have a good job. But on the other hand, you would have to leave your friends and would struggle for a while to complete your schoolwork lacking some necessary information in your native language. If you went back, could you get a tutor outside of school to help you with your Polish? That way you could learn the terms and all you would need to do your work? I hope everything works out well for you.

amandapaulina
August 24th, 2016, 05:50 PM
There is a possibility for me to get a tutor here, as we have planned to move in about 10 months. The only problem would be the Polish tutors here, after digging into some research, can only provide you with a basic course in the Polish language, like grammar rules and all that. Thank you so much for replying :)

Phosphene
August 24th, 2016, 05:52 PM
You're welcome! Maybe an online resource for language-learning would help?