PDA

View Full Version : Nice Luck and Economics

Porpoise101
August 24th, 2016, 05:09 PM
So here's the thing. I've been at school for a few weeks now and I am pretty happy. I got placed in almost all of the classes I wanted/have to do. I got into the biology class and I got most of the 'better' teachers at my school. But I did get placed into one surprise class. I intended to go for chemistry, but I got into the Economics class. I am not terribly upset though, in fact I really like it. In my freshman year everyone has to take economics and I did fairly well. This year it is more advanced and intense, but I really understand it. I've even been reading the textbook for fun. I don't think I have really been so engrossed in a class like this before. I just hope that this correlates to a good grade though :D.

Any tips if you have been in an economics class?

Vlerchan
August 24th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Incoming college senior, economics major.

This will sound vague- until you get it - but learning to think like an economist will serve you infinitely better than learning off whatever amount of source material is prescribed. Economics encourages a certain manner of considering the world an its interactions, and if you can wrap your head around this, you'll be comfortable dealing with whatever is put in front of you. That's something that comes with digesting a lot of high-level material, but also just thinking about absolutely everything.

If you're serious about pursuing economics at a college level, then cover as much high-level mathematics and statistics as possible. You should also look to learn at least one quant-orientated programming language - R, Julie, Python - as that's of increasing importance in the field*.

Can I ask what exactly you're doing now, though? When I was in high-school, it seemed like an economics-themed definition-learning class, with some algebra and low-level calculus thrown in. I probably wouldn't have gotten into it as much as I did, if we didn't have such a fantastic teacher.

---

* If you also have any questions about further study, feel free to ask me. I'm applying for MSc's this year, and hope to get into an internationally-ranked PhD, afterwards.

Porpoise101
August 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Can I ask what exactly you're doing now, though? When I was in high-school, it seemed like an economics-themed definition-learning class, with some algebra and low-level calculus thrown in. I probably wouldn't have gotten into it as much as I did, if we didn't have such a fantastic teacher.
Yeah vocabulary is important. And there is some algebra. Luckily we got most of that out of the way in the first year. If there is a menial task associated with the class, it would be writing. We have to write a lot, discuss concepts, and make arguments.

The class is about different themes. Here is the list:

The Role of Government
Threats to Sustainability
Efficiency vs Equity
Growth vs Development

The class is over two years because it is part of the IB thing that my school does. But this year the first semester focuses on micro, the second on macro. I also have a really good teacher, he is probably one of the best.

jamie_n5
September 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Just listen in class take notes and read the material you are assigned and I am sure you will do fine.