PDA

View Full Version : Itally earthquake

Just JT
August 24th, 2016, 04:53 AM
There was an earthquake in Itally a few hours ago, just saw it on the news just now. Didn't get all the details, but I guess 23 people are confirmed dead. Had some footage of a building pretty destroyed. Not sure where in Itally didn't get the whole thing, but was felt about 800 miles away in Rome. Anyone here in Italy? Are you ok?
Anyone have any more details you can offer?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/world/europe/italy-earthquake.html?_r=0

-Link added. -Emerald Dream

Living For Love
August 24th, 2016, 05:01 AM
38 deaths confirmed so far... Most of the places affected were small old towns and villages with historic and fragile buildings that collapsed during the quake. My heart goes out to the victims, families and survivors of this tragedy :(

bougainvillea
August 24th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Guess who's here in Italy on her holiday... Just my luck, eh?

The quake's epicentre is close to Norcia (Perugia) at 3.36am local time at a shallow depth of 10km underground. The inital earthquake lasted 20 seconds and was recorded with a magnitude of 6.4 and there were aftershocks 20 minutes after with the same strength if not stronger than the quake itself. Here is a map recording where the shakes were felt at the time of the quake:

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/world/2016/08/24/magnitude-6-1-earthquake-rocks-central-italy/_jcr_content/article-text/article-par-3/images/image.img.jpg/880/558/1472010470843.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

I'm around 200 miles (~320km) away from Norcia and I could still feel some of the aftershocks afterwards but nothing major. I've seen that there's significant damage to places like Amatrice and Rieti. Fortunately, some of the historical buildings were anti-seismic and did not suffer extensive damage.

In 2009 in L'Aquilla (~50 miles/80km away from Norcia) there was a similar strength earthquake at a magnitude of 6.3 and there was over 100 killed so it is lucky that there is only around 38 confirmed dead.

Jinglebottom
August 24th, 2016, 09:05 AM
What fascinates me about earthquakes is how domestic animals like dogs and cats can feel the earthquake coming before humans.

Desynchronized
August 24th, 2016, 09:26 AM
There has also been an earthquake somewhere in asia just 2/3 hours ago. These days earthquakes are happening unusually too often.

Dalcourt
August 24th, 2016, 09:35 AM
There has also been an earthquake somewhere in asia just 2/3 hours ago. These days earthquakes are happening unusually too often.

Yea read the news about the second earthquake, too
Really horrible

bougainvillea
August 24th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Here's a link for the Myanmar earthquake if anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37172794

candorgen
August 24th, 2016, 04:45 PM
It is metaphorically funny that I was doing a long wiki internet journey of recent particularly bad earthquakes two days ago.

It would be best to rebuild with 'earthquake-resistant' structures like as in Japan, so that there's less death and destruction when the next powerful one comes.

Also putting it out here also that a bad earthquake WILL happen in California some time, so expect to see more associated death and destruction (assuming it happens before some other cataclysm already).

Here's a link for the Myanmar earthquake if anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37172794

I wouldn't have known about this at all if I didn't see this - this deserves some coverage too, thanks for the link.

ThisBougieLife
August 25th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Also putting it out here also that a bad earthquake WILL happen in California some time, so expect to see more associated death and destruction (assuming it happens before some other cataclysm already).

Yes, I've been hearing that one all my life...

Although I did see a quote from someone in an article on the Italian earthquake saying that if this earthquake had happened in California, not a single person would've died. Perhaps an exaggeration (the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake claimed 63 lives), but a quake of similar magnitude I'm sure would've resulted in less death here; it makes a difference having buildings that were built long after the 16th century or thereabouts. These old European buildings just aren't built to withstand seismic activity.

Voice_Of_Unreason
August 25th, 2016, 03:46 PM

Although I did see a quote from someone in an article on the Italian earthquake saying that if this earthquake had happened in California, not a single person would've died. Perhaps an exaggeration (the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake claimed 63 lives), but a quake of similar magnitude I'm sure would've resulted in less death here; it makes a difference having buildings that were built long after the 16th century or thereabouts. These old European buildings just aren't built to withstand seismic activity.

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake took 3000 lives. But that was a more powerful earthquake and happened 100 years ago. Now a days though, you are probably right. Here we have both newer buildings, and many buildings near earthquake zones are built to withstand most quakes.

candorgen
August 26th, 2016, 04:15 PM

The building tech like in Japan is the way to go yes. Hopefully the destruction and death would be minimal, but I'm not greatly optimistic.

Just JT
August 26th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I haven't been around as much as usual, and I actually forgot about this thread, im sorry. But also thanks to you guys for keeping it going

jamie_n5
August 28th, 2016, 04:43 PM
It is a true tragedy. Almost 300 lives lost. All the pain and suffering and devastation . I feel very bad for the people there.