PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes

BNSF8865
August 23rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
I have seen a few big ones.
What do you guys think of these very little known storms?

Flapjack
August 23rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
Well I have never witnessed one as it is very rare to even get a little one in England, I think they're really cool but am glad I don't have to live with the threat of them!

Amethyst Rose
August 23rd, 2016, 04:47 PM
I live smack-dab in the region of the US dubbed Tornado Alley and was in one this summer. Not fun.

WhoWhatWhen
August 23rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
They are very destructive. I live in tornado alley and we usually get a bunch of warnings during this time of year, but we haven't so far. Luckily my town hasn't been in a huge tornado in years so I'm okay for now.

Babs
August 23rd, 2016, 06:15 PM
I don't like the destructive aspect of course, but I think they're really cool and fascinating. It's on my bucket list to chase one. I've had lots of pleasant and exciting dreams about them.

BNSF8865
August 24th, 2016, 12:20 PM
I don't like the destructive aspect of course, but I think they're really cool and fascinating. It's on my bucket list to chase one. I've had lots of pleasant and exciting dreams about them.

I caught the Joplin Missouri tornado and the El renoe Oklahoma tornado both where amazing to see.

PinkFloyd
August 24th, 2016, 12:35 PM
I've never seen a tornado in real life, but I'd love to sometime. I would be okay with living in Tornado Alley, (Southwestern Minnesota, East half of South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas) just not in central Oklahoma. There's a scientific reason that cities and towns in that area have been destroyed in the past. See, the way a tornado is formed is when warm moist air from one direction (Gulf of Mexico in this case) and cold dry air from another direction (Rocky Mountains in this case) meet up, then a tornado forms. Well, Oklahoma City is right smack dab in the center of where the warm air and cold are meet up to create the strongest of the strong storms. It sucks that there's a major city right there and this is a perfect example: The May 3rd, 1999 Oklahoma City Tornado was the single biggest and most destructive tornado in recorded history. It had wind speeds as fast as 318 Miles Per hour. It was classified as an EF-5 tornado on the Fujita Scale, but people have called it an EF-6 (which doesn't exist; the fujita scales is only 0-5) because after the tornado struck in 1999, the Fujita scale was updated from EF-5 being just simply "over 200 mph wind speeds" to "261-318 mph wind speeds"

OLD
http://www.whenwasitinvented.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fujita-Scale.JPG

NEW
http://www.tornadofacts.net/images/fujita-tornado-scale.jpg

BNSF8865
August 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM
theres a thing called a super wedge
that's what the joplins and el reno tornadoes where

Vermilion
August 24th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Well I have never witnessed one as it is very rare to even get a little one in England, I think they're really cool but am glad I don't have to live with the threat of them!

Same ! :)

Regina
August 24th, 2016, 06:04 PM
We don't get any of those in California but we get earthquakes though!

ThisBougieLife
August 24th, 2016, 07:45 PM
I've never seen a tornado in real life, but I'd love to sometime. I would be okay with living in Tornado Alley, (Southwestern Minnesota, East half of South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas) just not in central Oklahoma. There's a scientific reason that cities and towns in that area have been destroyed in the past. See, the way a tornado is formed is when warm moist air from one direction (Gulf of Mexico in this case) and cold dry air from another direction (Rocky Mountains in this case) meet up, then a tornado forms. Well, Oklahoma City is right smack dab in the center of where the warm air and cold are meet up to create the strongest of the strong storms. It sucks that there's a major city right there and this is a perfect example: The May 3rd, 1999 Oklahoma City Tornado was the single biggest and most destructive tornado in recorded history. It had wind speeds as fast as 318 Miles Per hour. It was classified as an EF-5 tornado on the Fujita Scale, but people have called it an EF-6 (which doesn't exist; the fujita scales is only 0-5) because after the tornado struck in 1999, the Fujita scale was updated from EF-5 being just simply "over 200 mph wind speeds" to "261-318 mph wind speeds"

Yep. Tornadoes are almost exclusively unique to the United States. Other parts of the world do see them sometimes, but nowhere else gets the frequency of them and the large destructive tornadoes that the U.S. gets. The unique geography of North America is the reason; it's the only place in the world where arctic and tropical air can meet without any mountains to block them from doing so. And that area where they meet happens to be the Great Plains region of the U.S.

We don't get any of those in California but we get earthquakes though!

Yep. Earthquakes and wildfires are the disaster of choice here in California.

Dalcourt
August 24th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I have experienced a tornado once this was pretty scary.
But in the South were I live our disasters are flooding and hurricanes.

phuckphace
August 25th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Tornado Alley crew

who else would wait outside as a kid at 12:00 PM on a sunny Friday for the weekly tornado siren test, and pretend it was a nuclear air raid siren? anyone?

Dalcourt
August 25th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Tornado Alley crew

who else would wait outside as a kid at 12:00 PM on a sunny Friday for the weekly tornado siren test, and pretend it was a nuclear air raid siren? anyone?

Lol, that's hilarious...

Jericho14
August 26th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I've never witnessed a tornado (We get typhoons or small earthquakes instead), Thoug small tornadoes happens in some parts of Philippines

Chris298
August 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I live by Cleveland Ohio and I have never seen a tornado or even a funnel cloud... Sometimes we get tornado warnings and the sirens go off, hasn't. Happened since like 2 years ago though, but nothing really ever happens.

Desynchronized
August 30th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Tornadoes aren't that common in california. And i've never witnessed one. Tho i think it'd be cool.

Freckles
November 1st, 2016, 10:59 AM
I think they're fascinating. I want to be a storm chaser someday. I saw an F4 tornado in Nebraska when I was 8 years old. Since then I've been amazed by them. I plan to go to meterology school and learn how to research and maybe help predect them better.

Mars
November 1st, 2016, 11:25 AM
Please don't bump threads with two or more months of inactivity :locked: