PDA

View Full Version : Broke my ankle

Inflation26
August 23rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
sooo I broke my ankle two days ago playing football. My family is still on vacation for a week so I am home alone and all my friends are at work and I am sitting at home all day. Even though I have crutches even walking into the kitchen takes a huge effort and is exhausting. My (new) girlfriend is coming over friday but it is tuesday now and I am bored out of my mind. Usually I would go for a run or any other type of workout, but I can't (obviously)

Any people have any tips or ideas for things I can do on my own? (or anyone that wants to get groceries for me cause I am all out of food... XD)

Move if placed in wrong section :)

Flapjack
August 23rd, 2016, 08:19 AM
Hope you get better soon buddy!! I would just play games or watch a tv series to pass the time :)

StoppingTom
August 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do but sit around, because the ankle area is weight bearing, and any movement or weight on the area while it's broken will cause you a lot of pain and prevent new osteocytes from bridging the gap that your break has caused. However, in terms of making yourself more comfortable:

•Using crutches will be uncomfortable for a little bit, until your upper body strength improves in order to compensate. Because of that, make sure your crutches are properly adjusted for your height.

•Using your crutches too much will dig into your armpits, and cause a friction based rash that will hurt really bad. I recommend taking pieces of cloth or small towels and rubber-banding them over the area that goes under your arms to make a cushion.

SethfromMI
August 23rd, 2016, 09:59 AM
sooo I broke my ankle two days ago playing football. My family is still on vacation for a week so I am home alone and all my friends are at work and I am sitting at home all day. Even though I have crutches even walking into the kitchen takes a huge effort and is exhausting. My (new) girlfriend is coming over friday but it is tuesday now and I am bored out of my mind. Usually I would go for a run or any other type of workout, but I can't (obviously)

Any people have any tips or ideas for things I can do on my own? (or anyone that wants to get groceries for me cause I am all out of food... XD)

Move if placed in wrong section :)

sorry bro that sucks to break your ankle.

got any good books? if some even order one on Amazon or something. binge watch on a show on netflix or something.

I would pick up some groceries for ya if I lived anywhere near close to you haha

Inflation26
August 23rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
sorry bro that sucks to break your ankle.

got any good books? if some even order one on Amazon or something. binge watch on a show on netflix or something.

I would pick up some groceries for ya if I lived anywhere near close to you haha

A book is a great idea! Netflix is the obvious thing to do but even that get's boring after a few hours for me. I'll order some books! Don't know if amazon delivers to the NL but iI think they do

SethfromMI
August 23rd, 2016, 10:09 AM
A book is a great idea! Netflix is the obvious thing to do but even that get's boring after a few hours for me. I'll order some books! Don't know if amazon delivers to the NL but iI think they do

oh I didn't think about where you might be, yea I know about sitting around and not being able to do anything, it is not fun at all. hope you have a strong recovery, I would say fast, but I know these things do take some time. was this your last season to play football? if so that would be a major bummer if you ended up missing it. I know I missed my last three games because of a concussion

Inflation26
August 23rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
oh I didn't think about where you might be, yea I know about sitting around and not being able to do anything, it is not fun at all. hope you have a strong recovery, I would say fast, but I know these things do take some time. was this your last season to play football? if so that would be a major bummer if you ended up missing it. I know I missed my last three games because of a concussion

I don't actually play football. I am more of a tennis player but I like to play football (or as americans call it: Soccer) with my friends when the weather is right. So that's what we did last sunday. My cousin was in the goal and saved my shot, I got the rebound, lobbed the ball over him and put it in the goal. When I landed I felt this crack and fell down. My friends actually thought I was joking and ignored me at first until I couldn't get up

SethfromMI
August 23rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
I don't actually play football. I am more of a tennis player but I like to play football (or as americans call it: Soccer) with my friends when the weather is right. So that's what we did last sunday. My cousin was in the goal and saved my shot, I got the rebound, lobbed the ball over him and put it in the goal. When I landed I felt this crack and fell down. My friends actually thought I was joking and ignored me at first until I couldn't get up

lol major bummer. I figured you meant our soccer.

you know for amazon, a lot of books can be bought electronically. not the same as having a physical copy, but you should still have plenty of options in case they don't ship to where you are at.

bummer bummer though

Inflation26
August 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
lol major bummer. I figured you meant our soccer.

you know for amazon, a lot of books can be bought electronically. not the same as having a physical copy, but you should still have plenty of options in case they don't ship to where you are at.

bummer bummer though

I just looked it up and Amazon does deliver to the Netherlands! Now I just have to find a good book. Any suggestions?

SethfromMI
August 23rd, 2016, 10:36 AM
I just looked it up and Amazon does deliver to the Netherlands! Now I just have to find a good book. Any suggestions?

it all depends what you like. if you like Horror, I recommend Stephen King's IT (a lot of Stephen King, is pretty good especially some of his 80's and 90's work) . it is a very long book, but one of his best. I am just started to read the Game of Thrones (first book) and so far have enjoyed it. Love Lord of the Rings and you will find some good differences form the movie, especially concerning the third book.

jamie_n5
August 23rd, 2016, 12:43 PM
I am sorry for you. I am sure there is pain involved too. Yeah being stuck not able to do things is a bummer and boring. Like you have been talking about a good book on a subject you like is good. TV gets boring fast. Myself I like documentaries and history things of that nature. I hope you can get some help. Too bad your buddies are letting you down and not coming to visit or asking if you need something. Hang in there.

jamie_n5
August 28th, 2016, 04:40 PM
How is your healing coming along my friend?