PDA

View Full Version : California Underage Smokers

Cognizant
August 21st, 2016, 05:54 PM
This is a few months late I guess, but in June, California moved the legal minimum age for smoking cigarettes from 18 to 21.

I was just wondering how anyone else from California under 21 is faring? I don't smoke personally, but I imagine it's a bit of a sticky situation.

Flapjack
August 21st, 2016, 05:55 PM
If it is anything like Europe, they're just getting older friends to buy it for them.

SethfromMI
August 21st, 2016, 07:28 PM
If it is anything like Europe, they're just getting older friends to buy it for them.

oh that already happens over here. the sad thing is when 13 year olds and sometime younger are able to do it, or worse, stores which will sell to them, taking the risk just to make the extra money.

I haven to and have no desire to smoke, but I disagree with such a decision to change the age. if your old enough to die for your country, pay taxes, vote, etc., if you want to buy tobacco, do it. I kind of feel the same way about alcohol. again, I do not endorse either, but really, if someone can fight for our country, but they can't have a beer, that is not right.

now I understand why they would change the age of course (and I understand even more so with alcohol, they are hoping people will make better decisions/have more self control) but honestly, people usually do not get that much more self control between 18 to 21. by that point you either have it, or you have to work at getting it. 21 is not a magic age which somehow changes people.

Ben7
August 23rd, 2016, 12:05 AM
Well whether one is for or against this legal change makes no difference. Those who already smoke will continue to do so one way or another because they will find a way around this, and those that don't smoke will continue abstaining from it. Personally I don't smoke either so this doesn't apply to me. I'm sure the intent was a good one, trying to prevent younger and probably uninformed people from getting hooked onto a habit that poses serious long term health risks (or I'm not sure how it was justified)...but in the end it is a useless change.

AussieNicholas
August 23rd, 2016, 12:42 AM
Why?

Let legal adults start taking some responsibility for their own health. If you're legally considered old enough to buy a gun or drive a car (two object which can be used to kill others), then you're old enough to handle your own health issues and face the consequences.

ImCoolBeans
August 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
The legal tobacco age in NJ is 19, but it never stopped me when I was younger and never stopped anybody that I know either. I think the age should be 18, while I don't smoke cigarettes anymore and I'm not as passionate about the issue as I once was, I still think that at 18 you should be able to make decisions for yourself.

jamie_n5
August 31st, 2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah I agree at 18 you should be able to decide. The US government sticks their noses into way too much along with individual states.

marrisa
September 5th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Like anywhere I guess Have someone older buy them.My sister or older guy friends buy them for me.

phuckphace
September 5th, 2016, 05:39 PM
california.txt

only in the land of fruits and nuts is it considered worse for the youth to smoke cigarettes than to smoke cock

Snjezana
September 7th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Cigs at 21? Im from Eastern Europe and here the legal smoking age is 18+ but noone really cares. Its no problem at all to buy cigs even at 12.

Karkat
September 8th, 2016, 07:38 AM

Or going to Nevada, etc to buy. That's what I did until I turned 19. (I live in Utah, where the age is 19, but many [if not all?] surrounding states have the age at 18. And yeah, it's totally legal [afaik- if it's not then no one really cares] to use an ID from a state where the age is higher as long as you're legally old enough to buy them in the state you are buying them in)

Rendez-Vous
September 19th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Here in Russia you get 'freedom' (lmao) at 18. But anyone who want to drink or smoke can easily get it. For me - I can ask my 18-year-old cousin to buy me wine or cigarettes. Or if I would be more self-confident I'd be able to buy it myself.

Pulp501
September 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM
They changed it here in Missouri and I am a current 19 year old smoker so this affects me. They haven't changed the age yet, it's supposed to go in effect on December 1st, but after that I don't know how I'll get my cigarettes, I don't know anyone over 21 who can buy then for me, so I guess I'll quit which is fine, but I don't feel good about being forced to do it. I knew the consequences of smoking before I started, and I chose to start anyways. I mean, I'm about to vote in a presidential election and I'm being told I can't make a choice whether to smoke or not, that's bullshit right?

Dames
November 20th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Luckily older friends, or you find those small shops that dont ID

Svetlana2000
December 2nd, 2016, 01:08 AM
Cigs at 21? Im from Eastern Europe and here the legal smoking age is 18+ but noone really cares. Its no problem at all to buy cigs even at 12.

yes thats also my experience, also for buying alcohol.
where are you from?