PDA

View Full Version : You can't be gay

Dalcourt
August 21st, 2016, 08:26 AM
I had a few friends over last night and we had fun and talked about a lot of different stuff as we had a new guy in our group who had moved here only about three weeks ago.

While talking some of my friends mentioned that I'm gay and this new guy was like that's not possible at all.
He said he met a lot of gay people and they all acted so different from me.
And he went on about tons of gay stereotypes...I didn't want to argue so I let it pass.

But why the hell should I act or dress or whatever a certain way just because of my sexuality?
It's total bullshit in my opinion.

I guess there's some work to do for me with this guy.

Abhorrence
August 21st, 2016, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately everyone in the world has a set mindset for people of certain cultures, sexualities, genders, etc. It probably won't ever change but most people nowadays are open minded enough to realise that you can be whatever without fitting in with a stereotype.

Phosphene
August 21st, 2016, 09:03 AM
Stereotypes make people narrow-minded. Knowing you will be good for him.

Just JT
August 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
I'm like that two. Whenever I meet someone new and it ev still come up in convo it lee them I'm gay or what ever, they can't believe it. So many people automatically think everyone's straight unless proven otherwise. Sooo not true. People would assume nothing sexual about anyone until they know for fact. That being told navy the person in question. Sometime especially people our age kinda bounce back and forth a bit before I figure it out

As for Tyrone? Seems he's rather fascinated about you, your behavior/mannerisms and sexuality...... Just sayin.... :)

Dalcourt
August 21st, 2016, 09:30 AM
Ah well dunno...just kinda made me angry. To be gay doesn't mean you act like a girl or be a drag queen and that seems to be what he thinks.

Just JT
August 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
I agree. I don't think he meant anything by it itself. But I don't like the sterioypes of shit people have about anyone. It's basically discrimination and prejudice IMO. People should IMO get to know the person as a person before they for,mam opinion of them

A lot like here, making friends etc. we get to know people based on what they say, how they respond etc, and never know what they look like or any characteristics about them at all. I have a couple friends on line who have said to me many time that if I knew them irl I probably wouldn't hang with them cause of how they are. I disagree, bit the point I'm making is that I've never seen them or anything but I know them very very well and their super cool people. Because we, here, put (need to no other options) what's said above everything else when forming an opinion of someone. Not how they behave, dress, walk talk etc....

It sucks but it's true, I think to be prejudice is something of a human instinct

Bull
August 21st, 2016, 11:16 AM
Labels and stereotypes are just so missing reality. People are people, some swing one way, some swing two ways. So what. We are what we are. Why argue with someone about their sexuality? What's the point? Just say, oh, okay, and move on.

Nosuba
August 21st, 2016, 03:33 PM
Your behavior has nothing to do with your sexuality. So don't worry. Maybe he met others gays and they have a behavior totally opposed to yours but it means nothing. Btw I don't think he was trying to offend u.

Flapjack
August 21st, 2016, 04:03 PM
My gosh he is an idiot!! Don't argue with him buddy but please do inform him of the reality!!

jamie_n5
August 21st, 2016, 05:36 PM
I am a guy guy too and so is my BF. I am not really into stereotype gays myself either.

steellord321
August 22nd, 2016, 06:26 PM
ok but here's the thing, you made progress to make him rethink those stereotypes already. Now the next time he meets someone like you, he won't find it so hard to believe....And the person after that it will be easy to believe

I know you still have a right to be annoyed at his reaction but look at it from his point of view. If everyone he's met has fit into stereotypes....