PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

Meron
August 16th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Anyone here into boxing, taking classes in boxing, or actually performing boxing and using it for self defense? I myself take classes and I think it's a cool sport, especially when self defense comes up where this comes in handy. I wouldn't say I'm advanced in it but I'm pretty good compared to other people that I've seen.

So anyhow, what do you think of the sport? Ever practiced it or something similar?

Bmble_B
August 16th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Yes I am actually a boxer. I practice it in the mirror frequently. Never had to actually use it for self-defense though, still a great skill to have. I personally love it

Just JT
August 16th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Not really a boxer, but I do have a speed bag I beat the shit out of when my rage gets to much. It helps. As a sport I think like any sport it has some value for competition. Self defense is always a good thing. I've been in plenty of fights, know what that's like. Should be taught to younger kids as a life skill IMO. So long as it's taught properly, for self defense not for violence

lemondrop
August 16th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I only box in the gym(between sets),but i fractured my knuckle somewhere so i do that rarely now

Just JT
August 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I only box in the gym(between sets),but i fractured my knuckle somewhere so i do that rarely now

That's called fighters fist and it's from not making a good point of contact in your hit. It's very common, and hard to heal, painful

Cadanance00
August 17th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Boxing is supposed to be the most complicated sport, and having taken two lessons, I can believe it. As much negative publicity as boxing has gotten (and for good reason) it's still a fascinating science. It really is complicated. It's not just two guys beating the shit out of each other.

I didn't keep it up. It's a good skill to have, but it didn't take me long to realize that getting hit in the face isn't my idea of a good time.

Just JT
August 17th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Boxing is supposed to be the most complicated sport, and having taken two lessons, I can believe it. As much negative publicity as boxing has gotten (and for good reason) it's still a fascinating science. It really is complicated. It's not just two guys beating the shit out of each other.

I didn't keep it up. It's a good skill to have, but it didn't take me long to realize that getting hit in the face isn't my idea of a good time.

Well Cean the thing is, you need to block the blows, if your getting hit, your not defending yourself. So yeah, I can see how you wouldn't like that at all

Flapjack
August 17th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I reallyyyy wouldn't rely on boxing as self defence irl!!! I suppose it is better than nothing but I have also heard people say boxing skills irl are worse than nothing.

Regina
August 21st, 2016, 03:36 PM
I've taken cardio kickboxing classes but I've never done or plan on doing a fight

Albatross13
August 25th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I havent trained in boxing yet but im a 2nd dan in krav maga, senior level in russian sambo. Ive also trained in capoeira,karate,Brazilian jiu jitsu, and a few other okinawan martial arts, but im not nearly as mastered in the latter as I am krav maga and sambo. I train and hour a day in my training room/sometimes with weapons (throwing knives,sais,katanas,scimitars). I also exercise an hour prior before doing that to limber up. Between work and school its hard to fit it it, but I manage. I also run 6 miles saturday morning and sunday night.

Falcons_11
August 31st, 2016, 09:55 PM
I would like to take boxing at the gym. But, unfortunately, my mom is adamantly against me taking up the sport. No trying to talk her into it will convince her.

swimjoey1
September 1st, 2016, 10:10 PM
Just saw creed last night..got me interested. Lol

ThomasD
September 11th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Looks like hard work, but good for fitness I hear

awsomekid23
September 12th, 2016, 11:23 PM
Might get intobit

Zenos
September 19th, 2016, 11:14 PM
I reallyyyy wouldn't rely on boxing as self defence irl!!! I suppose it is better than nothing but I have also heard people say boxing skills irl are worse than nothing.

Until shortly after the 1920's any books written on how to box was written with the idea of self defence in mind.Heavy weight great Jack Dempsey wrote one of the best books on the use of Boxing for self=defence in the 1950's called Championship fighting
http://rossboxing.com/2014/10/15/jack-dempseys-championship-fighting/

I would like to take boxing at the gym. But, unfortunately, my mom is adamantly against me taking up the sport. No trying to talk her into it will convince her.

I'll do you a solid here's

Chamipionship fighting by Jack Dempsy,feel free to learn the art of self defence without having to buy the book

http://bmsi.ru/issueview/50fc5c79-9b3d-43d8-b013-05838f82720e/files/jack%20dempsey%20-%20championship%20fighting.pdf

That's pertty common,boxers today do not know how to punch properly

Jack Dempsey said you don't hit with the two big knuckles,you hit with the lower three with the knuckle between the pinky finger's knuckle and the middle fingers knuckle being the one to make contact and he was right because when u punch like that all three knuckles hit and it's safer

Posts merged. Use the multi quote button next time. ~Mars

lliam
September 19th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Not really a boxer, but I do have a speed bag I beat the shit out of when my rage gets to much. It helps.

same here. but at least I prefer doing wing tsun or teakwondo instead of boxing. And in the end boxing is as good as any martial arts, to encourage the self-confidence of kids and teens. Unless it is taught responsibly.

Zenos
September 19th, 2016, 11:31 PM
same here. but at least I prefer doing wing tsun or teakwondo instead of boxing. And in the end boxing is as good as any martial arts, to encourage the self-confidence of kids and teens. Unless it is taught responsibly.

I find that punch for punch Boxers are able to hit harder then people that do kung fu are karate style arts because the stance used in western boxing has better mechanics to it,plus i also find that western boxing as faster footwork due to the stance

lemondrop
September 20th, 2016, 05:52 AM
That's pertty common,boxers today do not know how to punch properly

Jack Dempsey said you don't hit with the two big knuckles,you hit with the lower three with the knuckle between the pinky finger's knuckle and the middle fingers knuckle being the one to make contact and he was right because when u punch like that all three knuckles hit and it's safer

That's what i did,but this case is different...well somehow i hit a sharp edge of a furniture and it f.. Up , also i had a fight 3 months back or sooo and landed a hard one into a forehead :D

Zenos
September 21st, 2016, 04:02 PM
That's what i did,but this case is different...well somehow i hit a sharp edge of a furniture and it f.. Up , also i had a fight 3 months back or sooo and landed a hard one into a forehead :D

Ouch been there on that one:metal:

mark_r100
October 20th, 2016, 12:54 PM
i wanted to try boxing but my dad said i am already working too many sports