PDA

View Full Version : Weed Legalisation

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Do you guys think weed should be legalised?

I think it should for a few reasons.

It is less harmful than alcohol.
Income source from the taxes
Safer for those that consume it
It is really popular despite being illegal and studies have show that legalising the drug brings usage down.
Was introduced to target the black communities and hippies.

I think keeping weed illegal is like the prohibition on alcohol. I have never touched weed and do not drink much alcohol so don't think I am a 'druggie' that wants it legalised so I can have some because I would never even if it was legalised.

Just JT
August 13th, 2016, 09:57 PM

It is less harmful than alcohol. Probably less, at least documented health issues
Income source from the taxes. Would be a good thing
Safer for those that consume it. If regulated properly, yes I think it would be
It is really popular despite being illegal and studies have show that legalising the drug brings usage down. Think most kids I know either do or have
Was introduced to target the black communities and hippies. I do t think so

I think keeping weed illegal is like the prohibition on alcohol. I have never touched weed and do not drink much alcohol so don't think I am a 'druggie' that wants it legalised so I can have some because I would never even if it was legalised.

I've done drugs and drank, not proud of it much. But it is fun. But can also ruin families. Teaching it's proper use and moderation I think is key.

Amethyst Rose
August 13th, 2016, 09:59 PM

It is really popular despite being illegal and studies have show that legalising the drug brings usage down.

I agree with your points, and also from what I have heard it is much less harmful than the artificial shit being sold in convenience stores.

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Was introduced to target the black communities and hippies. I do t think so

coYUFJLSOm8
This is why I think it :)

Just JT
August 13th, 2016, 10:04 PM
coYUFJLSOm8
This is why I think it :)

Yeah, I'm, no, I don't do to good in debates, didn't realize what this was till after I posted
Sorry.... :/

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm, no, I don't do to good in debates, didn't realize what this was till after I posted
Sorry.... :/
Don't be sorry buddy!! The good thing about debating is challenging other people's ideas and listening to what they say and maybe changing what you think about the topic :) You should really get involved in more debates!!:)

Just JT
August 13th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Don't be sorry buddy!! The good thing about debating is challenging other people's ideas and listening to what they say and maybe changing what you think about the topic :) You should really get involved in more debates!!:)

I should, but I always end up somewhere I don't lie but thanks

Dalcourt
August 13th, 2016, 11:41 PM

I dunno really what opinion to have on it.
I'm not sure about the health thing...THC concentration in today's weed is way higher than it used to be in the 60s and this can deeply affect your physical and mental health...so in the long run I don't think it's less harmful than alcohol just different but since alcohol is allowed too...

In have never really paid attention to studies whether there had been any changes in consumation after it was legalised. Do you have any data on that?

Legalising weed might reduce a lot of petty crime that is going on now and that costs a lot of tax money.

So I think I'm more for legalising it but just if there will be provided enough education about it...

mattsmith48
August 14th, 2016, 12:06 AM
We are legalizing it next year here in Canada.

EuRo
August 14th, 2016, 01:00 AM
I've based my opinion on drugs from a few sources:

Personally I say that all drugs should be legalized, but drugs should have a really, really high tax.

Watch black markets crumble when drugs are legal.

Gwen
August 14th, 2016, 01:35 AM
I dislike marijuana as much as I dislike smoking, so in all fairness I wish neither were apart of me or my friend's lives. I do understand the difference thoughts on both though so if one is legal and heavily taxed then the other should be as well.

DriveAlive
August 14th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I think it should be legalized, but I do see some problems with it. Weed is still smoking and is very harmful. Like all drugs, it can damage developing brains. Just like anything else, people can become psychologically addicted.

Porpoise101
August 14th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I don't like the fact that having a lot of regulation like liberals often suggest is a good thing. What that will do is lower competition, leaving us with big corporations that produce goods of little benefit to public health. I am against that. So that means that we have the status quo or we legalize without much regulation, which could be bad as well. It's a tough question for me.

mattsmith48
August 14th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I don't like the fact that having a lot of regulation like liberals often suggest is a good thing. What that will do is lower competition, leaving us with big corporations that produce goods of little benefit to public health. I am against that. So that means that we have the status quo or we legalize without much regulation, which could be bad as well. It's a tough question for me.

What about what we are planning to do here sell marijuana in goverment runned liquor stores?

Taint
August 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I think it should be legalized but there should be things put in place. My reasoning is it helps with a lot of chronic pain conditions and in some cases can be safer than the medications prescribed for said conditions and I've seen the effect its had on a couple of friends that are ill. That being said its easily abused but that can be said for a lot of things like alcohol and even prescription medications.

devotionnel
August 14th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Well my town will reek of weed either way, sooo...

Like everything else, there are pros and cons to the drug:

+ Products like cannabis oil would now be available in medicines and would benefit patients dramatically, especially those going through chemotherapy (cancer patients)
+ Putting a tax on weed would boost government revenue (which would be good for the economy)
+ Illegal drug dealers would be on the decline, and some drug cartels would lose business quite quickly.

- It is often seen as a gateway drug for harder chemicals like meth etc and it would boost the consumption of these harder illegals.
- Of course it's not as addictive as normal cigarettes but it must be noted that long-term users can still develop a dependency for the drug.
- It will be much easier for the drug to fall into the hands of children and teenagers, like alcohol and cigarettes can. I can imagine it being the case also for weed, because it could damage cognitive development.
- Due to the fact that weed gives the user an altered perception on reality, it would also mean the likelihood of an increase in road accidents and similar incidents.

Personally I would not legalise it but I would not be so offended if it did end up being legalised. Either way, I won't use the stuff.

Porpoise101
August 14th, 2016, 02:42 PM
What about what we are planning to do here sell marijuana in goverment runned liquor stores?
Well in states with legalisation, they usually have private businesses that are authorized to sell. This isn't really the problem, the problem is the fact that marijuana farms are run by a few companies. The farms themselves are super regulated, meaning that it is difficult for the actual producers to have competition.

Flapjack
August 14th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Well my town will reek of weed either way, sooo...

Like everything else, there are pros and cons to the drug:

+ Products like cannabis oil would now be available in medicines and would benefit patients dramatically, especially those going through chemotherapy (cancer patients)
+ Putting a tax on weed would boost government revenue (which would be good for the economy)
+ Illegal drug dealers would be on the decline, and some drug cartels would lose business quite quickly.

- It is often seen as a gateway drug for harder chemicals like meth etc and it would boost the consumption of these harder illegals.
- Of course it's not as addictive as normal cigarettes but it must be noted that long-term users can still develop a dependency for the drug.
- It will be much easier for the drug to fall into the hands of children and teenagers, like alcohol and cigarettes can. I can imagine it being the case also for weed, because it could damage cognitive development.
- Due to the fact that weed gives the user an altered perception on reality, it would also mean the likelihood of an increase in road accidents and similar incidents.

Personally I would not legalise it but I would not be so offended if it did end up being legalised. Either way, I won't use the stuff.
Alcohol is worse though and that's legal :P I also wouldn't use it and my town reeks of weed too xD

PlasmaHam
August 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I don't think it should be legal. I also don't think alcohol should be legal. They do nothing besides make your mind go crazy and gives you an artificial sense of happiness while destroying your body. I honestly think smoking or chewing tobacco is far better than either one of these, but I might be biased being that I live in the center of American tobacco production. It doesn't twist your perception and make you do stupid stuff. It harms you, but it's not a risk to other people(second-hand smoke is far over rated, especially compared to alcohol and other drug related deaths)

As for medical marijuana, I'll be fine with it as long as it is treated like any other dangerous drug. Prescriptions, defined dosages, regular check ups, and eventually getting off of it.

Flapjack
August 14th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I don't think it should be legal. I also don't think alcohol should be legal. They do nothing besides make your mind go crazy and gives you an artificial sense of happiness while destroying your body. I honestly think smoking or chewing tobacco is far better than either one of these, but I might be biased being that I live in the center of American tobacco production. It doesn't twist your perception and make you do stupid stuff. It harms you, but it's not a risk to other people(second-hand smoke is far over rated, especially compared to alcohol and other drug related deaths)

As for medical marijuana, I'll be fine with it as long as it is treated like any other dangerous drug. Prescriptions, defined dosages, regular check ups, and eventually getting off of it.
Right... lets get some things out of the way xD Have you ever drunk alcohol? You want guns to be legalised but not alcohol? Is that not big government? Do people not have the right to freedom and to drink it? Do you not realise what happened last time alcohol was illegal?

Dalcourt
August 14th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Right... lets get some things out of the way xD Have you ever drunk alcohol? You want guns to be legalised but not alcohol? Is that not big government? Do people not have the right to freedom and to drink it? Do you not realise what happened last time alcohol was illegal?

Oh no, not the guns again...But well during Prohibition the guns were very important for all the criminal clans, so I guess we need them be legal once we prohibit other stuff. What would criminals and cops do without 'em? Using knives and baseball bats and truncheons like in England? No way...

But without joking...with his argument about being biased when it comes to tobacco PlasmaHam quite said it all. Tobacco is a horrible drug...so many people die due to illnesses caused by tobacco...and don't forget the dangers of passive smoking. Still as growing tobacco, manufacturing cigarettes and of course selling them is a huge economic factor...just think about all the tax money they will always be legal.
So if people want to have weed legalised they just have to make a business plan that appeals to the greed of the respective government imo.

Whether it is morally okay...however I can't say but since alcohol and tobacco are legal why not.

mattsmith48
August 15th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Marijuana is the safest drug you can consume you can overdose . Yes it might cause some permenant damage to your brain if its not fully developed but so is alot of things that are legal. Tabaco is infinitly worst than weed, Tabaco is the only drugs that when consumed is also harmfull to everyone around you even if they don't also smoke. The consuption of tabaco doesnt fill any needs or isnt advantagous to you in any way, if your thirsty you can drink alcohol its not recommended but its a possibility, if your hungry you can eat a big mac, or advantagous or helpfull to you and your body like weed can cure some diseases ranging from common cold to possibly cancer.

peanut One of the big argument we ear from people like PlasmaHam who are against gun control in the US is that because its easily available illegally so its useless to have gun control. Than the same people go and say we shouldnt legalize weed because its too dangerous but even more easily available illegally, you cant kill anyone with marijuana and it puts money in the hands of criminals.

Dalcourt
August 15th, 2016, 04:02 AM
peanut One of the big argument we ear from people like PlasmaHam who are against gun control in the US is that because its easily available illegally so its useless to have gun control. Than the same people go and say we shouldnt legalize weed because its too dangerous but even more easily available illegally, you cant kill anyone with marijuana and it puts money in the hands of criminals.

Don't understand it at all to be honest.

To be fair then we needed to legalize both or none.

PlasmaHam
August 15th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Marijuana is the safest drug you can consume you can overdose . Yes it might cause some permenant damage to your brain if its not fully developed but so is alot of things that are legal. Tabaco is infinitly worst than weed, Tabaco is the only drugs that when consumed is also harmfull to everyone around you even if they don't also smoke. The consuption of tabaco doesnt fill any needs or isnt advantagous to you in any way, if your thirsty you can drink alcohol its not recommended but its a possibility, if your hungry you can eat a big mac, or advantagous or helpfull to you and your body like weed can cure some diseases ranging from common cold to possibly cancer.

First of all, studies about second-hand smoke are vastly varying, with most people saying its not as bad as the media likes to put it. Tobacco really just harms yourself, you don't see tobacco smokers or chewers acting like crazy people or running over people. I don't advocate any drug, but there is a reason drinking while driving is banned and not smoking.

My argument is a bit more complicated than that. People can die from marijuana, over 15% of fatal car crashes result from marijuana, in comparison to 28% for all drugs. And marijuana is used by less than 10% of the US population, so imagine if it became comparative to alcohol consumption. So marijuana kills.

Secondly, there is a big difference between guns and drugs. In most states, if you want marijuana, you have to have some sort of illegal connection. Law abiding citizens typical don't have that kind of access, as they obviously don't want to risk prison time just to get high. The big difference between marijuana and guns is that you don't need marijuana to defend yourself from criminals with marijuana.

Flapjack
August 15th, 2016, 06:39 AM
My argument is a bit more complicated than that. People can die from marijuana, over 15% of fatal car crashes result from marijuana, in comparison to 28% for all drugs. And marijuana is used by less than 10% of the US population, so imagine if it became comparative to alcohol consumption. So marijuana kills.

But freedom? Kids die from school shootings but you give people guns 'cos freedom :D

PlasmaHam
August 15th, 2016, 06:42 AM
But freedom? Kids die from school shootings but you give people guns 'cos freedom :D

What is the subject of this debate? Guns can be used in defense as well as offense. Marijuana and other illegal drugs, not so much. mattsmith48 said that no ones dies due to marijuana, that it is perfectly safe. That is plain wrong. I am not saying guns are safe, but they are essential to keeping us safe.

But if you want to see, why don't we replace all the police officers' guns with packets of marijuana and make sure they remain high all the time. That seems like a good comparison between the benefits of each.

Flapjack
August 15th, 2016, 06:48 AM
What is the subject of this debate? Guns can be used in defense as well as offense. Marijuana and other illegal drugs, not so much. @mattsmith48 (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=101901) said that no ones dies due to marijuana, that it is perfectly safe. That is plain wrong. I am not saying guns are safe, but they are essential to keeping us safe.
Weed can do loads of good too! It can make people more relaxed and less likely to shoot up a school :P Tbh I think it is actually a freedom thing :D If weed is bad, they're only hurting themselves, same with alcohol.:)

I would understand your health argument more if you were from the UK and had the government free healthcare and didn't want the government to be paying for people to get a high and drunk, but you pay for your own healthcare.

If you're that worried about health consequences, legalising weed makes the usage go down.

There is also less risk of getting contamination from a dodgy drug dealer.

Dalcourt
August 15th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Secondly, there is a big difference between guns and drugs. In most states, if you want marijuana, you have to have some sort of illegal connection. Law abiding citizens typical don't have that kind of access, as they obviously don't want to risk prison time just to get high. The big difference between marijuana and guns is that you don't need marijuana to defend yourself from criminals with marijuana.

Well wouldn't it suffice the to ban driving under influence of marijuana like with alcohol?
And I don't think everyone would start smoking weed just cuz it's legal, same as for cigarettes and alcohol...not everyone smokes and drinks just cuz it's legal.
So I really don't think consumption would rise that much...

DriveAlive
August 15th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Well wouldn't it suffice the to ban driving under influence of marijuana like with alcohol?
And I don't think everyone would start smoking weed just cuz it's legal, same as for cigarettes and alcohol...not everyone smokes and drinks just cuz it's legal.
So I really don't think consumption would rise that much...

They are developing a more accurate THC breathalyzer so as to better monitor usage while driving. However, there is no real way to standardize a scale of "highness" because of different strains all affecting different people differently. This makes it extremely difficult to determine who is unsafe to drive and also makes it hard for insurance companies to write policies around this.

Dalcourt
August 15th, 2016, 11:06 AM
They are developing a more accurate THC breathalyzer so as to better monitor usage while driving. However, there is no real way to standardize a scale of "highness" because of different strains all affecting different people differently. This makes it extremely difficult to determine who is unsafe to drive and also makes it hard for insurance companies to write policies around this.

Yeah that's true but it should be possible to find a solution for this.

mattsmith48
August 15th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Don't understand it at all to be honest.

To be fair then we needed to legalize both or none.
By that argument I just mention we should also legalize cocaine, ecstasy, meth, and heroin.

First of all, studies about second-hand smoke are vastly varying, with most people saying its not as bad as the media likes to put it. Tobacco really just harms yourself, you don't see tobacco smokers or chewers acting like crazy people or running over people. I don't advocate any drug, but there is a reason drinking while driving is banned and not smoking.

Smoking while driving can be as distracting as using your phone while driving and smoking in a car is extremly dangerous for yourself and other people with you in the car because of the secondhand smoke accumulating extremly fast thats why its illegal to smoke in a car when they are kids with you.

The reason pot as a higher fatal crashes pourcentage than other illegal drugs is because its more available than other illegal drugs. How many of those 15% were also drunk or on other drugs? 72% of DUI caused death the drug was alcohol compare to 15% for weed, 31% of fatal crashes are caused by a distraction, 25% of those are caused by using your phone. Its not marijuana that kills, or cell phones or alcohol its the car kills. Btw you said marijuana kills because its responsable for someone dying in a car accident, but when it comes to guns its not the gun that killed its the person.

Its relatively easy to find someone to sell you weed because its so easy to grow and start selling it, if you want to smoke marijuana you will find someone to sell it to you pretty quickly. The problem with this is that it puts money in the hands of criminals. You mention that some people dont want to risk prison time thats another good reason to legalize it free places in jails for real criminals like murderers and rapist. The big difference between marijuana and guns is marijuana doesnt kill anyone, guns do kill people.

The problem with breathalyzer it only mesure the alcohol or in this case THC you have in your breath not whats in your blood with THC its a little tougher because it stays in your blood for a very long time.

Dalcourt
August 15th, 2016, 11:37 AM
By that argument I just mention we should also legalize cocaine, ecstasy, meth, and heroin.
I would have always supported this ...would have spared me a great deal of time in the foster system.

PlasmaHam
August 15th, 2016, 03:31 PM
mattsmith48

Your arguments are borderline crazy. Marijuana has killed people, 15% of all fatal car crashes are caused by marijuana. I really don't see how you think a drug that can warp your perception of reality is perfectly harmless.

Why do you keep bringing up guns? Drugs to guns are like apples to oranges. Guns are controlled by the person, marijuana controls the person. Guns can be negative and positive in public, marijuana is a negative. You have to realize, that marijuana can literally twist your perception of reality, making it very easy to kill someone. Guns don't mess with your brain, having a gun in your hand doesn't make you suddenly blood-thirsty or crazy, you control it. You can't control marijuana.

Vlerchan
August 15th, 2016, 03:43 PM
People can die from marijuana, over 15% of fatal car crashes result from marijuana, in comparison to 28% for all drugs. And marijuana is used by less than 10% of the US population, so imagine if it became comparative to alcohol consumption. So marijuana kills.
Would you mind sourcing these claims? Thank you.

Yes it might cause some permenant damage to your brain if its not fully developed but so is alot of things that are legal.
I believe that amongst those that begun sustained habitual use as teens, it reduced IQ by about half a SD, or 8 points.

That's quite severe, and you'll have a difficult time pointing to anything comparable.

If weed is bad, they're only hurting themselves, same with alcohol.
I am not sure if you have ever come across a household headed by an alcoholic, but I can promise you that his family aren't existing in a vacuum to all this.

I would understand your health argument more if you were from the UK and had the government free healthcare and didn't want the government to be paying for people to get a high and drunk, but you pay for your own healthcare.

It affects insurance costs.

People who smoke, and consume alcohol too regularly, also tend to cost less on average. End-of-life care, which can drag on, is the greatest expense that needs to be paid in the medical system.

If you're that worried about health consequences, legalising weed makes the usage go down.
Source, please.

mattsmith48
August 15th, 2016, 04:03 PM
mattsmith48

Your arguments are borderline crazy. Marijuana has killed people, 15% of all fatal car crashes are caused by marijuana. I really don't see how you think a drug that can warp your perception of reality is perfectly harmless.

If you drive your car while high and you crash and kill someone its the car that killed not the drug.

Why do you keep bringing up guns? Drugs to guns are like apples to oranges. Guns are controlled by the person, marijuana controls the person. Guns can be negative and positive in public, marijuana is a negative. You have to realize, that marijuana can literally twist your perception of reality, making it very easy to kill someone. Guns don't mess with your brain, having a gun in your hand doesn't make you suddenly blood-thirsty or crazy, you control it. You can't control marijuana.

Marijuana at worst will make you a little paranoid but not to the point to kill someone, and even if you did kill someone it wouldnt be the marijuana that killed its what you used to kill someone a gun, a knife, a car...

Mars
August 15th, 2016, 04:07 PM
I honestly think smoking or chewing tobacco is far better than either one of these
If you think that, then you are far from correct.
Smoking cigarettes can:
-Lowers good cholesterol
-Increase chances of blood clots
-Raise blood pressure
-Highly increase chance of stroke
-Can lead to Peripheral Artery Disease (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/PeripheralArteryDisease/Peripheral-Artery-Disease-PAD_UCM_002082_SubHomePage.jsp)
-Literally destroy your respiratory and cardiovascular systems
(If that isn't clear enough,
Respiratory:
-Asthma,
-Pneumonia
-Tuberculosis
-Chronic bronchitis
-Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
-Emphysema
-And obviously lung cancer
Cardiovascular (circulatory) system effects were previously stated)

-Plaque build up in arteries
-Can lead to birth defects or stillborn children
-Erectile dysfunction
-Ectopic pregnancies
-Can also cause cancer in nose, mouth, larynx (voice box), trachea, asophagus, previously stated lungs, throat, liver, stomach, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, cervix, bone marrow and blood, colon, and rectum.
-Smoking can also heavily compromise your autoimmune system
-It's also been linked to Type 2 diabetes
-It can also cause gum and tooth rot and loss
-Peeling and rough skin
-etc etc I think you get the point
(Too lazy to even search up what tobbaco does but it's also horrible for your mouth and throat. Destroys your teeth etc etc)

Smoking weed may lead to:
-Temporary increase of heart rate (for about 3 hours, studies say)
-Trouble thinking or remembering

Consuming weed in any form (pot brownies, etc.):
-May take a while to kick in and could lead to overdose of eaten too much

-----

Health benefits of cigarettes:
-Helps the drug clopidogrel work better (I think)

Health benefits of marijuana:
-Can be used to treat Glaucoma
-May actually improve lung health and reverse some carcogenic effects of tobacco
-Help control epileptic seizures
-Decreases the symptoms of a severe seizure disorder known as Dravet's Syndrome
-Many researchers are finding links between marijuana and it stopping the spread of cancer
-May relieve anxiety
-Slows progression of Alzheimer's disease
-Eases pain of multiple sclerosis
-Lessens side effects of treatment of hepatitis C and may improve treatment effectiveness
-Treats inflammatory bowel diseases
-Relieves arthritis pain
-Relieves symptoms of Lupus
-May help with Chrons disease
-Spurs and increase activity and creativity in the brain
-Soothes patients with Parkinson's disease
-Some research shows that it may protect the brain after stroke and possibly concussions
-Helps eliminate nightmares and relax someone
-Reduces pain and nausea from chemo, and stimulates appetite

Oh and I know you'll get a kick out of this:
-Veterans use it to help treat PTSD

It doesn't twist your perception and make you do stupid stuff. It harms you, but it's not a risk to other people(second-hand smoke is far over rated, especially compared to alcohol and other drug related deaths)
Smoking cigarettes is doing stupid stuff. Also,

Secondhand smoke can cause:
-Cancer in the Larynx (voice box)
Pharynx (throat)
Nasal sinuses
Brain
Bladder
Rectum
Stomach
Breast
-Possibly linked to in children
Lymphoma
Leukemia
Liver cancer
Brain tumors
-Many previously stated diseases and effects, affecting the respiratory, circulatory, and autoimmune systems in the body.

Also, since you so kindly asked, "It is estimated that secondhand smoke caused nearly 34,000 heart disease deaths each year during 2005–2009 among adult nonsmokers in the United States."
"Secondhand smoke exposure caused more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths each year during 2005–2009 among adult nonsmokers in the United States."
"...53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure. This number is based on the midpoint numbers for heart disease deaths (48,500), lung cancer deaths (3,000), and SIDS deaths (2,300) as calculated in the 1997 California EPA Report on Secondhand Smoke. And children are at significant risk to many acute and chronic diseases as a result of secondhand smoke exposure."

Agreed though, that alcohol and drugs such as cocaine, heroine, methamphetamine, etc. cause many deaths and dangerous situations for others.

Marijuana isn't a dangerous drug. Period. People that are high however should not be allowed to drive or operate machinery.

---

I believe medical marijuana should be legalized. I agree that it may be easier to get into the hands of children and teenagers if it's legalized all around.

Also, this shit took like an hour to type so I'm probably late on replies

Also, keep it on topic. I know it may veer off a little bit but try not to bring other debates into this. Thank you :)

Paraxiom
August 20th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Taking experimental evidence for certain medical uses and its very low / negligible ability for people to get physiologically addicted to it, I'm for it being legalised, though I'm open to restrictions on its availability.

There are arguments which say that it shouldn't be legalised because underage people will abuse it and harm themselves. I don't get how something shouldn't be implemented just because there is a risk of certain people abusing it. You can say the same thing then with alcoholic beverages, cars and laser pointers. This is where restrictions on its use come in.

There are certain people who don't want this to happen, but yet also don't advocate for banning tobacco cigarettes. That I cannot make sense of.

If we want to take a crude "I want money" economic angle for governments, I'm not confident that the sales of cigarettes makes more money than what is 'lost' in healthcare demand through the population who buy them.

Vlerchan
August 20th, 2016, 07:27 PM
[...] I'm not confident that the sales of cigarettes makes more money than what is 'lost' in healthcare demand through the population who buy them.
Because smokers die earlier, they are in fact less of a burden on government resources than non-smokers.

It's more problematic for people that live in private-insurance-based healthcare systems.

Paraxiom
August 20th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Because smokers die earlier, they are in fact less of a burden on government resources than non-smokers.

It's more problematic for people that live in private-insurance-based healthcare systems.

I can take that point.

How much would you say is between the money got in sale of tobacco cigarettes, and the money lost in sustaining healthcare for people who use them?

Reise
August 21st, 2016, 08:24 AM
I can take that point.

How much would you say is between the money got in sale of tobacco cigarettes, and the money lost in sustaining healthcare for people who use them?
May I bring my brick to a potential response to that question?
You're asking the difference between the gain in sale of tobacco for the State and the loss experienced by the State in providing healthcare to those very same tobacco consumers? Or the insurance costs?

To begin with, tobacco consumers tend to represent an higher risk premium (basically you will pay more your life insurance if you've been smoking for 20 years) as you have greater chances to suffer from certain medical conditions that may require extended treatment.
Same goes for a public healthcare, an healthy person is likely to represent less charges than, well, an ill one.
other factors have to be taken into account, sure, it's not a simple binary choice.

Emeka
August 21st, 2016, 09:50 AM

If im not mistaken, i think Its Portugal that proved the war on drugs is a joke. To make something expensive and also profitable. Make it a criminal act. To make something not worth your time. Legalise it. If narcotics generally as well as cannabis should be legalised, people will rather get high on super glue or sniff their fuel tanks, than waste hard cash on plants.

DriveAlive
August 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM
There is a vast difference between legalizing marijuana and other drugs. I am all for legalizing weed. It would drastically decrease criminal justice expenses, allowing for a more effective use of resources in combating more serious crimes. Also, it would hopefully decrease the criminal trade of weed, thereby decreasing violence and reducing the amount of unsafe product on the streets. However, I am strongly against decriminalizing or legalizing other harder drugs, such as many opiates. Anything that is physically addictive is immediately a dangerous drug in my opinion. These hard drugs cannot be used safely and users cannot maintain a productive life. Try running a business in which all of your employees are on heroin. I once heard a comedian make a good point about this. He said that hard drugs, unlike weed, cannot be used in moderation. No one ever did just a little heroin every once in a while. They do a little heroin and then want to do all of the heroin in the world.

Paraxiom
August 24th, 2016, 06:40 PM
May I bring my brick to a potential response to that question?
You're asking the difference between the gain in sale of tobacco for the State and the loss experienced by the State in providing healthcare to those very same tobacco consumers? Or the insurance costs?

To begin with, tobacco consumers tend to represent an higher risk premium (basically you will pay more your life insurance if you've been smoking for 20 years) as you have greater chances to suffer from certain medical conditions that may require extended treatment.
Same goes for a public healthcare, an healthy person is likely to represent less charges than, well, an ill one.
other factors have to be taken into account, sure, it's not a simple binary choice.

It's a nice brick. :D

I'm fine with that point, my lack of confidence would serve better elsewhere with this debate than first impressions on what cigarettes to to a country economically. Money is being made overall (as with the trend in many things). What I said prior to that still holds as appropriately not relevant to this.

Flapjack
August 24th, 2016, 10:45 PM
There is a vast difference between legalizing marijuana and other drugs. I am all for legalizing weed. It would drastically decrease criminal justice expenses, allowing for a more effective use of resources in combating more serious crimes. Also, it would hopefully decrease the criminal trade of weed, thereby decreasing violence and reducing the amount of unsafe product on the streets. However, I am strongly against decriminalizing or legalizing other harder drugs, such as many opiates. Anything that is physically addictive is immediately a dangerous drug in my opinion. These hard drugs cannot be used safely and users cannot maintain a productive life. Try running a business in which all of your employees are on heroin. I once heard a comedian make a good point about this. He said that hard drugs, unlike weed, cannot be used in moderation. No one ever did just a little heroin every once in a while. They do a little heroin and then want to do all of the heroin in the world.
Yesss I agree with all of this xD The only I would add is that we treat those on hard drugs like those with any other addiction and we try to help them rather them locking them away :)

PlasmaHam
August 25th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Yesss I agree with all of this xD The only I would add is that we treat those on hard drugs like those with any other addiction and we try to help them rather them locking them away :)

Often locking them away is the best way to treat them. I have a somewhat distant relative who was basically buried in illegal drugs and activities. She got caught, thrown in prison for a few years for it, and later got out. She said that prison was the best thing that ever happened to her. She got clean, and learned to respect the law. In her own opinion, if she didn't go to prison, she would still be living in a trailer taking drugs, if not just dead.

Mars
August 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Source?
Let's keep this on topic :)

Often locking them away is the best way to treat them. I have a somewhat distant relative who was basically buried in illegal drugs and activities. She got caught, thrown in prison for a few years for it, and later got out. She said that prison was the best thing that ever happened to her. She got clean, and learned to respect the law. In her own opinion, if she didn't go to prison, she would still be living in a trailer taking drugs, if not just dead.
Just wondering if you read my previous post and have changed your mind any.

Weed isn't a hard drug tbh. It's nothing like cocaine, methamphetamine, or heroin. (Not saying you claimed that weed was... Unless you did. Idk)

PlasmaHam
August 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Source?

Um, I just basically told the true story of a former drug addict who credits prison as being the wake up call for her to get clean. If she wasn't imprisoned, she personally admitted she would either still be in drugs, or dead.

Its not the national study you probably wanted, but it does show that prison can have positive results.
Mars, not really. Living in the tobacco capital of the USA makes the effects of tobacco pretty evident. I would still rather have a tobacco smoker for a neighbor than a weed smoker. Chewing tobacco is probably the best choice of either though, mouth cancer yea, but its a good alternative for smokers. But I'm getting off topic.

I'm not sure what drugs she was taking. She was on a wide variety, so she probably was using some hard drug.

Mars
August 25th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Mars, not really. Living in the tobacco capital of the USA makes the effects of tobacco pretty evident. I would still rather have a tobacco smoker for a neighbor than a weed smoker. Chewing tobacco is probably the best choice of either though, mouth cancer yea, but its a good alternative for smokers. But I'm getting off topic..

>I would rather have tobacco smoker for a neighbour than a weed smoker
>chewing tobacco is probably the best choice of either though
>good alternative

http://i.imgur.com/eeWOANF.jpg

Dalcourt
August 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Ah Jack don't go off topic I love reading your posts so much I don't want to see you banned so if you wanna discuss the way addicts should be treated we can do a thread about that.

Legalizing weed would have a lot of benefits esp. money wise.
We could gain lots of money through taxes.Police forces and courts wouldn't have to spend so much time with pursuing petty crime in connection with weed and had more time for more important things.

Where I live we do the purple drank made with cough syrup so not get into trouble with the cops for buying or possessing weed...the health risks are huge compared to weed ...same goes for the "bath salt" drugs. All legal shit some just buy cuz weed is illegal.
So sure weed might have health risks too but I'd rather totally ban tobacco than not legalize weed when it comes to the health discussion. Even as there are so many "legal drugs" out there that are really dangerous.

Flapjack
August 26th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Ah Jack don't go off topic I love reading your posts so much I don't want to see you banned so if you wanna discuss the way addicts should be treated we can do a thread about that.

Legalizing weed would have a lot of benefits esp. money wise.
We could gain lots of money through taxes.Police forces and courts wouldn't have to spend so much time with pursuing petty crime in connection with weed and had more time for more important things.

Where I live we do the purple drank made with cough syrup so not get into trouble with the cops for buying or possessing weed...the health risks are huge compared to weed ...same goes for the "bath salt" drugs. All legal shit some just buy cuz weed is illegal.
So sure weed might have health risks too but I'd rather totally ban tobacco than not legalize weed when it comes to the health discussion. Even as there are so many "legal drugs" out there that are really dangerous.
Yeahh I agree with all of this buddy:) I would add that it was only developed to target Nixon's political enemies (black people and hippies) and that it is destroying the lives of one people for doing something harmless and something that most people have done at one point in their lives.

jamie_n5
August 30th, 2016, 02:58 PM
The only real problem I see with all out legalization is how do you regulate and control how it influences the ability to drive or operate machinery and such? We don't need people that are high driving down our streets and highways either. I guess we can watch how things work in Colorado and see what happens there.