PDA

View Full Version : Metrication

Pilyk
August 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Officially, there is three countries left in the world that keep using units of measurement which are not part of the metric system (Liberia, Myanmar and USA).
However, some countries such as the UK are still using the imperial system pretty often in everyday life.
Nevertheless all the scientific world have already switched for the metric, and most of the trade worldwide is too.

In your opinion, should all the countries adopt the same simple, logical and universal system of measures?
What are the arguments in favor of each?
Which one do you use in everyday life?
Do you have some knowledge the othe system? For instance, if you use imperial, do you see what 10cm is?
Do you use different systems (for examples Miles for distances, but gigabytes for computers)?
All units of distance, height, weight, temperature etc. are included.

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Yes obviously everyone should be using the metric system!

Pilyk
August 13th, 2016, 04:06 PM
This is my opinion too :). It would be easier for everybody this way.
When I read anglosaxon literature they drive me crazy when I have to search how to convert there weird units without any logic (the worst being the temperatures' :().
I know that one inch is 2,5cm and one foot 30cm and that's about it ^^'.

Reise
August 13th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Not only is the Metric System (by the way this is really bad wording, the official name being the International Unit System) more simple, efficient and relevant (in its accuracy, for example) but the fact that it coexists with other measurement systems can really be a threat. I had heard of this story that due to a certain difficulty to pass measurements from an imperial-like system to the metric one the US had literally lost a satellite, I'll try to find back the source.

In France we only use the imperial system for screens' sizes (13", 17.3" and stuff), mainly because of the American influence in the sector of technology and more particularly electronics.
There is also a different measurement system in yachting and everything sea-related when it comes to distances and speed.

PlasmaHam
August 13th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Well, working on cars would certainly be easier. You have your metric sockets, and then your standard sockets, gets confusing.

Standard US education requires some level of understanding of the metric system. So I do know the basic measurements of the metric scale and approximate conversions between the two systems. I really have no real opinion in this. I like the imperial due to the uniqueness, practically, and the fact that I already know it. But the metric is both easier to understand and is nearly a global standard.

Just JT
August 13th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I think it should be metric. It is very accurate, and pretty much universal across the board. By teaching 2 or 3 ways of measurements, it's really confusing. Like constantly trying to equate dollars to euros to pounds to yen all the time.
Makes sense to me

phuckphace
August 13th, 2016, 06:49 PM
I had heard of this story that due to a certain difficulty to pass measurements from an imperial-like system to the metric one the US had literally lost a satellite, I'll try to find back the source.

it was a gorillion-dollar Mars probe lol

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I am surprised no conservatives have come along and defended the imperial system xD

Stronk Serb
August 13th, 2016, 08:14 PM
During WWI the US bought a production licencse for Renault FT tanks from France. The project was a failure because the Americans couldn't reconfigure their production facilities for metric measurements of the blueprints.

Porpoise101
August 13th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Go metric. Imperial is for fools.

mattsmith48
August 14th, 2016, 12:24 AM
I think its inevitable that everyone will use the metric system eventually. The problem is getting use to it after

phuckphace
August 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Murica hasn't switched to metric because Quarter Pounder sounds better than "113 Gram-er"

azure moonstone
August 15th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Murica hasn't switched to metric because Quarter Pounder sounds better than "113 Gram-er"

Alright, I laughed. Nice.

I've grown up with Imperial, since that's what we are taught. Blame the geezers and the geezers before them for perpetuating this, not the ones currently being force fed an archaic system. I'm all for switching over to everything metric so we can be uniform with the rest of the world.

everlong
August 15th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I think it would be good to switch to metric. It would just make everything so much simpler, and I'm all for simple.

Stronk Serb
August 15th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Switch to metric completely. The measuring units do not have arbitrary definitions.

Arkansasguy
August 16th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Officially, there is three countries left in the world that keep using units of measurement which are not part of the metric system (Liberia, Myanmar and USA).
However, some countries such as the UK are still using the imperial system pretty often in everyday life.
Nevertheless all the scientific world have already switched for the metric, and most of the trade worldwide is too.

In your opinion, should all the countries adopt the same simple, logical and universal system of measures?
What are the arguments in favor of each?
Which one do you use in everyday life?
Do you have some knowledge the othe system? For instance, if you use imperial, do you see what 10cm is?
Do you use different systems (for examples Miles for distances, but gigabytes for computers)?
All units of distance, height, weight, temperature etc. are included.

US law requires duel-labeling of consumer goods. This seems reasonable.

ThisBougieLife
August 16th, 2016, 06:52 PM
The Metric System?! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!

Switching to the metric system may be beneficial in terms of facilitating communication between the world's nations, so in that sense I support it. In the other sense, however, I don't think imperial is complete "bollocks" and I do see the appeal of a system based on everyday-life points of reference. Not to mention that Fahrenheit provides smaller intervals without the use of decimals, something I find useful in ambient temperature recordings.

But the strongest case is not the lack of logic internal to imperial, but rather the fact that almost no other countries use it. Perhaps we could also make the change to metric time?

http://hitchdied.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/metrictime.png

Amethyst Rose
August 16th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Metric all the way. So much simpler and more efficient.

Paraxiom
August 20th, 2016, 07:30 PM
In your opinion, should all the countries adopt the same simple, logical and universal system of measures? For sake of ease of communication and logistics a common system is better, yes.

What are the arguments in favor of each? People can use whatever unit system they want, but having a common system makes more sense when working in large groups (hope that this is an answer for this question).

Which one do you use in everyday life? The metric system.

Do you have some knowledge the othe system? For instance, if you use imperial, do you see what 10cm is? I don't use imperial. I know some of 4 temperature scales other than the Kelvin, Celsius and Fahrenheit, but I'm not actively using any of them.

Do you use different systems (for examples Miles for distances, but gigabytes for computers)? I use kelvin in a physics simulator :P