PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my parents to be supportive

Just a Guy
August 13th, 2016, 03:45 AM
I'm an 18 y/o guy so I should be able to do whatever I want but I still live with my parents going to community college. Anyways I wanted to take a risk and get this cool haircut and then dye my hair silver but my parents would never approve. Maybe they would be okay with the cut but they wouldn't like me to dye it and I am technically allowed to but they would just be really unsupportive and not happy about it. What should I do? Should I try and convince them or just go do it and gave their judgment??

Dalcourt
August 13th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Since you are 18 you should do what you feel like.
I mean there will always be people who won't like your looks whether it's parents or anyone else shouldn't matter since you are an adult.
It make your own decisions is good for you and your parents have to learn that you are an adult now and that they can't control your actions.
And it's just a hairstyle...it could be replaced if you all can't deal with the situation.
I haven't asked what to do with my hair since I was maybe 12 so I don't think it's a really big deal but yeah I don't know your parents...

Just JT
August 13th, 2016, 04:16 AM
I agree. But also what your saying is there not supportive and maintain approve. What I'm Jr bearing from you is they won't allow you to do it. There's a difference....
If you want silver hair go for it....

Iri_dium
August 15th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I'm an 18 y/o guy so I should be able to do whatever I want but I still live with my parents going to community college. Anyways I wanted to take a risk and get this cool haircut and then dye my hair silver but my parents would never approve. Maybe they would be okay with the cut but they wouldn't like me to dye it and I am technically allowed to but they would just be really unsupportive and not happy about it. What should I do? Should I try and convince them or just go do it and gave their judgment??

I think that you can do whatever you want because you're an adult person in fact ;) It's very sad when your parents don't understand your tastes in style and hobbies but usually nothing can be done with this... :whoops: For example, my mom never understood my obsession with such bright colours on my head like here http://hairstylezz.com/best-dark-blue-hair-color-ideas/6/ but I decided to do what I want despite of her opinion :D
Don't be too worried about their reaction, your style in fact isn't such a massive problem for their worrying at all ;)

Flapjack
August 15th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I think you should have more independence at 18 however as you're living off of them you must follow their rules. I'd just not get the haircut. It is now worth the backlash from your parents:)

Hudor
August 15th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I think you should ask your parents first. If they disagree you could explain that you really wish to and feel that you should be given some independence in making your decisions since you're an adult now. If they still don't agree to it, don't dye your hair and play the "You didn't agree to that and that as well." card later for something bigger :P

Maddy01
August 15th, 2016, 08:58 AM
It's your hair

zack.zack
August 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
You have to live your life and do what makes you happy. Your parents arent going to always agree with or like the choices you make in life, but there isnt much they can do about it. You are 18 now and capable of making your own decisions and handling the consequences of those decisions. If you feel this isnt so, then dont do it and just give into their will and let them guide you.

Vermilion
August 19th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I would just do it show that you can make your own choices and if you don't like it you have to live with it as punishment

jxxx_z
September 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM
If you're living under their roof, I wouldn't do it... Just in case they kick you out

PunkModRevial
September 23rd, 2016, 10:34 PM
I'd personally say do what you want, but I also don't give a fuck what others think of me(including my parents).

Drewboyy
September 24th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Go ahead and do it if you really want to but since you live with them I wouldn't, in fear of getting kicked out.

everlong
October 1st, 2016, 05:01 PM
I believe you should get the cut and dye it. It's your hair, it should be your choice. Personally, I wouldn't care if my parents didn't like it, but I can see why it wouldn't be fun for your parents to disapprove of your hair every time they see you. I still think you should go for it though, you can't let the opinion of your parents get in your way all the time.

Jameson9
October 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Since u are 18 u can technically do whatever u want. Start with the haircut and slowly die ur hair