PDA

View Full Version : Can schools legally do this?

Matryoshkasystem
August 8th, 2016, 10:41 PM
My high school has a rule that they HAVE to be notified if you are being checked out by at least a day, even for doctor appointments, family deaths, anything. What makes it worse, is they say they have to be able to contact the doctors, etc. If not they won't let you out, even with your parents there. Thing is, I have town of appointemnts, some of which need me checked out, and since I have no true schedule with my therapist. If she has an opening, and my dad can do it, I her it. So if an opening is given, and its on the same day, I can't go to it. Note I have serious physical medical problems that could kill me if not checked. So, are they even legally allowed to do this?

Flapjack
August 8th, 2016, 11:11 PM
I don't even know what country you're from so have no idea whether it is legal or not but I am sure if you make them aware of your situation they will bend the rules:)

Just JT
August 9th, 2016, 04:34 AM
Yeah like Mimikyu said. Don't know about the laws where you live. But seems to me there a little more to it than what your saying. I get they need to know if your going to be absent from school, dismissed etc. that makes sense cause there responsible for you while your in school. But if you have an apt then you have an apt. Never heard about the school needing to be in contact with your doctor. That might be a violation of some kinda rights where I live. But idk about where you live.

Matryoshkasystem
August 9th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I like in the U.S. its mainly if you drive, but if you don't then all they need is to know your being checked out later.

Bull
August 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM
I like in the U.S. its mainly if you drive, but if you don't then all they need is to know your being checked out later.

Now I am confused. This post is not consistent with your original post. I am from USA and a parent could check me out at any time. Once I was 18, legal age, I could check myself out.

Matryoshkasystem
August 9th, 2016, 05:02 PM
...I messed up, I wasn't 100 percent sure, anyways here we can check out once we reach high school it seems, note there are 50 states. Though they still need a note to let you check out, and they need verification-the day-, if you do. Since ages can range in grades, they require everyone to give a note at least a day in advance. I was tired, and in pain when I first responded.

Periphery
August 10th, 2016, 06:51 AM
My high school has a rule that they HAVE to be notified if you are being checked out by at least a day, even for doctor appointments, family deaths, anything. What makes it worse, is they say they have to be able to contact the doctors, etc. If not they won't let you out, even with your parents there. Thing is, I have town of appointemnts, some of which need me checked out, and since I have no true schedule with my therapist. If she has an opening, and my dad can do it, I her it. So if an opening is given, and its on the same day, I can't go to it. Note I have serious physical medical problems that could kill me if not checked. So, are they even legally allowed to do this?

They don't have to be notified all the time at my school but can ask my proof. Pretty sure they can though.

VTGEEK14
August 10th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I don't think it's illegal but I think it's wrong

Dalcourt
August 10th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Well I guess it's not illegal and that it differs from school to school or so.
In my school they only ask for verification if you have a lot of days off...dunno.

Falcons_11
August 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
At my school in order to be checked out for medical appointment or other kind of appointment you have to tell them about it 48 hours in advance. This is usually note from parents with copy of appointment slip attached. You have to be picked up by your parent or person who is authorized to pick you up. This would be my aunt, grandparents, or close family friend. Besides that there is nothing else required.

devotionnel
August 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I doubt it's illegal but like some of the other posters here I don't think it's right for them to do that.