PDA

View Full Version : Crack this code.

Reise
August 8th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Hello people.

If some of you are familiar with Cicada 3301 practices I'm pretty sure you will like the following.
Perhaps I will have no response, who knows.

I'd like to know if someone here is able to crack this code (that I made myself):

hlprbdbldbhlprbdbhblbphlprbdbhbjbl

(This is a real code, I'm open to any question relative to its nature though I can decide not to answer if it significantly threatens the fairness of the "game").

Advanced knowledge in Mathematics is recommended, though there is no particular skill required.

Flapjack
August 8th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Reise Jack will attempt this but it may take me days xD How advanced maths are we talking??

PlasmaHam
August 8th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I am knowledgeable of Circada 3301, and I like a good puzzle. I'll give this a shot.

ReiseHow advanced maths are we talking??

Yes, please, I want to make sure this is not a waste of time.

Reise
August 8th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Level of a Master in Mathematics.

And to give an idea the encrypted message is actually smaller (in terms of letters) than the code itself.

Edit: I've also realized it will be highly improbable that anyone crack the code without knowing what to search for, I will give you these additional information:
It begins with a C.
It ends with a F.
It doesn't constitute any meaningful word but can be used in probability theory.

Flapjack
August 8th, 2016, 05:13 PM
It doesn't constitute any meaningful word but can be used in probability theory.
Thank God you told me that or I would have assumed I got it wrong xD

everlong
August 8th, 2016, 05:26 PM

And to give an idea the encrypted message is actually smaller (in terms of letters) than the code itself.

Edit: I've also realized it will be highly improbable that anyone crack the code without knowing what to search for, I will give you these additional information:
It begins with a C.
It ends with a F.

Is it "CF"?

lemondrop
August 8th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I heard about this thing... Somekind of a hint to the secret society/elite people group?

Reise
August 8th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Is it "CF"?
I won't answer such a question.

Please note that I am very interested in knowing how you decode it, hence, your reasoning.

Paraxiom
August 8th, 2016, 06:21 PM

I don't have enough XP points for that level, but I will try.

Is the code you gave the encrypted message, or are you saying it would be smaller if encrypted?

If the former, that means some 'non-information' needs to be added to fill it out; if the latter, that means that patterns need to be found, and they need to be removed so that only a random sequence remains.

It begins with a C.
It ends with a F.

Alright then. :D
Do the letters themselves matter? Can they be exchanged for any other symbol, and still keep the meaning?

EDIT:

To keep track of my speculative reasoning, I'm guessing that the 'j' contributes to the 'F', if there are letter combinations within this sequence which goes with a certain 'actual' letter.

Also appears significant that none of the letters repeat. Perhaps more reason to see it as a letter combination thing.

Reise
August 8th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Is the code you gave the encrypted message, or are you saying it would be smaller if encrypted?

If the former, that means some 'non-information' needs to be added to fill it out; if the latter, that means that patterns need to be found, and they need to be removed so that only a random sequence remains.
The initial message is smaller than the code displayed here.

Alright then. :D
Do the letters themselves matter? Can they be exchanged for any other symbol, and still keep the meaning?

To keep track of my speculative reasoning, I'm guessing that the 'j' contributes to the 'F', if there are letter combinations within this sequence which goes with a certain 'actual' letter.
There is actually no need of a meaning or whatsoever, I gave the previous information so you know when you found it (and also to provide you with a starting point), to be frank I could literally give the initial message in clear right now, as what is interesting is how you will decrypt it, and not the fact that you find it in itself.

------------------------------

I'll also add that the message is composed exclusively of Latin letters, without any accent.
Therefore there is no , @ ) % etc...

Paraxiom
August 8th, 2016, 06:46 PM
The initial message is smaller than the code displayed here.

There is actually no need of a meaning or whatsoever, I gave the previous information so you know when you found it (and also to provide you with a starting point), to be frank I could literally give the initial message in clear right now, as what is interesting is how you will decrypt it, and not the fact that you find it in itself.

Alright. This will be interesting to flesh out.

I'll also add that the message is composed exclusively of Latin letters, without any accent.
Therefore there is no , @ ) % etc...

Alright. That narrows it to 26.

Flapjack
August 9th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Gosh this is proving to be a bitch xD I have a few more thing I might try to do and I'll do them when I get back from the shop:)
Reise does this look like I am remotely close?

sanderearesandereseaensandereselea

Reise
August 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Reise does this look like I am remotely close?

sanderearesandereseaensandereselea
Not in the slightest.

I will give you additional clues people.
One will notice the redundancy of the letters and if you want to break this code you shouldn't think like a living being, think like machines think.

I will also give you another encrypted message (with the same technique) so you can compare.
hlprbdbldbdhhlpb`bdbldbdhhlprb`bhbjdbhlprb`bdbhbjhlprbdbhbldbhlprb`bhbjbl
I'm alright with providing you with the decoded message for this one if you want, people.

Flapjack
August 9th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Not in the slightest.

I will give you additional clues people.
One will notice the redundancy of the letters and if you want to break this code you shouldn't think like a living being, think like machines think.

I will also give you another encrypted message (with the same technique) so you can compare.hlprbdbldbdhhlpb`bdbldbdhhlprb`bhbjdbhlprb`bdbhbjhlprbdbhbldbhlprb`bhbjb lI'm alright with providing you with the decoded message for this one if you want, people.
Yes please decode it :D

jamie_n5
August 9th, 2016, 02:10 PM
cuif

Flapjack
August 9th, 2016, 02:16 PM
cuif
How did you do it??

Reise
August 9th, 2016, 02:17 PM
cuif
Wrong.

Mimikyu : I'll do it if multiple people want so.

Flapjack
August 9th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Wrong.

@Mimikyu (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=122060) : I'll do it if multiple people want so.
-_- the only hope I have is you doing that xD

Paraxiom
August 9th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Don't decode it yet! Pls

Does the code have three Cs?

EDIT: I narrowed it to C F _ _ C F , where the first blank is not the same as the second blank.

I will also give you another encrypted message (with the same technique) so you can compare.
hlprbdbldbdhhlpb`bdbldbdhhlprb`bhbjdbhlprb`bdbhbjhlprbdbhbldbhlprb`bhbjbl

I've tried at this and narrowed it to 13 characters. Am I going somewhere?

Flapjack
August 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Don't decode it yet! Pls

Does the code have three Cs?

EDIT: I narrowed it to C F _ _ C F , where the first blank is not the same as the second blank.

I've tried at this and narrowed it to 13 characters. Am I going somewhere?
If that is true it narrows it down to 676 words :D Well done buddy!!:)

Paraxiom
August 9th, 2016, 04:31 PM
If that is true it narrows it down to 676 words :D Well done buddy!!:)

I could be wrong, but it would be nice to see if it is going somewhere.

Reise

I attempted the "hlprbdbldbdhhlpb`bdbldbdhhlprb`bhbjdbhlprb`bdbhbjhlprbdbhbldbhlprb`bhbjbl" again and got it to 9 characters.

Reise
August 9th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Paraxiom

You're getting closer concerning the number of characters of the message. For both codes.

--------------------

I'll also clarify that by thinking as machines think I was talking about the binary code.

Paraxiom
August 9th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Paraxiom
You're getting closer concerning the number of characters of the message. For both codes.

Am I doing the redundant code removal technique wrong?

I'll also clarify that by thinking as machines think I was talking about the binary code.

So bits are involved?

Reise
August 9th, 2016, 05:49 PM
By telling you that you got closer concerning the number of characters you probably deducted that each code is largely bigger than their initial messages.
You also noticed the redundancy of the letters.
And now you know that, yes, the binary code is involved.

And to answer the question you may wonder, yes the code can be interpreted as sort of "instructions" but those "instructions" are not directly linked with the initial message.
Which makes the idea of trying to deduct one letter from another completely pointless, the code will never break that way.

Paraxiom
August 9th, 2016, 06:02 PM
By telling you that you got closer concerning the number of characters you probably deducted that each code is largely bigger than their initial messages.
You also noticed the redundancy of the letters.

That is good to hear.

And now you know that, yes, the binary code is involved.

Alright then.

And to answer the question you may wonder, yes the code can be interpreted as sort of "instructions" but those "instructions" are not directly linked with the initial message.
Which makes the idea of trying to deduct one letter from another completely pointless, the code will never break that way.

I'll continue this tomorrow!

EDIT:

Reise

Do allow me 2 days at least to try and do this before you reveal the process and result (if you can :D). I have a busy weekend but I will not leave this go just yet.