PDA

View Full Version : My little rant on chevy

Professional Russian
August 6th, 2016, 11:46 AM
this is for the people who do alot of mechanic work and stuff like that cause they'll get it. as some of you know i have a 2002 chevy Silverado 2500hd with the 8.1 liter engine and Allison transmission. well 3 days ago I discovered a leak in the coolant line going into the heater core. ok so I got new lines and put them on. I was tightening the hose clamp on the input side that fucking plastic fitting snapped right off. I got real lucky that those trucks were equipped with quick connect fittings on there or I would have needed a whole new heater core. but my question is why the fuck do you think chevy used plastic fittings instead of like brass that wouldn't break that easily? to me it makes no sense other than being cheap.

Just JT
August 6th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Pretty much. Spend that kinda cash on that you'd think they'd throw down for a couple brass, idk, stainless fittings??
Shit even if you could upgrade or something when you buy it, it's worth it if you risk breaking it. Maybe there just gambling that you'll take it to a dealer for that repairs so they can make the cash that way

Professional Russian
August 6th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Pretty much. Spend that kinda cash on that you'd think they'd throw down for a couple brass, idk, stainless fittings??
Shit even if you could upgrade or something when you buy it, it's worth it if you risk breaking it. Maybe there just gambling that you'll take it to a dealer for that repairs so they can make the cash that way
no brass fittings avaikable. I already tried to get them

phuckphace
August 7th, 2016, 08:13 PM
good thing it's not a Ford or the whole thing would've just come apart like CLANK! *tire rolls down your driveway and plows into the neighbor's porch*

Professional Russian
August 8th, 2016, 10:23 AM
good thing it's not a Ford or the whole thing would've just come apart like CLANK! *tire rolls down your driveway and plows into the neighbor's porch*

that actually happened when I had my ranger. I was rotating the tires and one just took off on me and rolled into the house across the street

phuckphace
August 8th, 2016, 10:33 AM
that actually happened when I had my ranger. I was rotating the tires and one just took off on me and rolled into the house across the street

Ford maintenance does tend to be quite tiresome

Professional Russian
August 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Ford maintenance does tend to be quite tiresome

hehehe i know i did alot of work on that thing all the time. thats why I drive a chevy now.

Professional Russian
August 10th, 2016, 12:36 PM
UPDATE: put new fittings on yesterday and one broke going down the road today. which genius engineers idea was these plastic fittings? they fucking suck and they make the main line to big to main line it so you need those fittings and theres no brass or stainless options so I'm stuck with plastic

mrmee
September 5th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Ever since about the year 2000, car companies have implemented this thing called "manufactured obsolescence. It means its made to break. Those "crumple zones" that are supposedly really safe? Are there solely so a fender bender totals a new car.

Look under the hood of my 1977 Chevy. The only plastic in there is the dixie horns i bought and put in in the 2000's!!!

ethan-s
September 13th, 2016, 10:28 AM
That sucks. One thing I never understood is why they (company's like John Deere) are obsessed with plastic camshafts, especially when the hydraulic pump is cam driven.

Professional Russian
September 13th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Ever since about the year 2000, car companies have implemented this thing called "manufactured obsolescence. It means its made to break. Those "crumple zones" that are supposedly really safe? Are there solely so a fender bender totals a new car.

Look under the hood of my 1977 Chevy. The only plastic in there is the dixie horns i bought and put in in the 2000's!!!

wait till I build my 75 ford. there won't be plastic for shit.

That sucks. One thing I never understood is why they (company's like John Deere) are obsessed with plastic camshafts, especially when the hydraulic pump is cam driven.

everythinf on my John deere s Steel or aluminum...although it is a 1980 model

Use the edit button--Tom

ethan-s
September 14th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I'm talking about on mowers and they type of thing. The thing is, jd doesn't make the engines for the mowers, someone else does.

Professional Russian
September 14th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I'm talking about on mowers and they type of thing. The thing is, jd doesn't make the engines for the mowers, someone else does.

mines got kohler in it. I knew that. mines a 1980 317

ethan-s
September 15th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Nice. I run a deere 4510. It's a 40 hp tractor with a yanmar diesel engine in it.

Professional Russian
September 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Nice. I run a deere 4510. It's a 40 hp tractor with a yanmar diesel engine in it.

i used to run an old 5020 for a friend of mine. I think it was 150 hp....it uh well it wouldn't stop. it did whatever you wanted then some more

CosmicNoodle
September 25th, 2016, 01:52 PM
They save money, more parts break, they sell more parts. It's all for the sake of money.

If you think that's bad my motorycle voltage regulator/rectifier was mounted in such a way it was effectively a water scoop, ended up putting 20V and fuck knows how many amps throught my electical system when it finally gave up the ghost. Thankfully it didn't fry anything significant.

Professional Russian
October 30th, 2016, 10:36 PM
They save money, more parts break, they sell more parts. It's all for the sake of money.

If you think that's bad my motorycle voltage regulator/rectifier was mounted in such a way it was effectively a water scoop, ended up putting 20V and fuck knows how many amps throught my electical system when it finally gave up the ghost. Thankfully it didn't fry anything significant.

i like how chevy put coolant hoses over 4 power packs that can't get wet....and power packs cost a boy $200 a piece 😂😂😂😂

CosmicNoodle
November 3rd, 2016, 03:01 PM
i like how chevy put coolant hoses over 4 power packs that can't get wet....and power packs cost a boy $200 a piece 😂😂😂😂

What an unfortunate and expensive "oversight".

And people call me crazy when I say older vehicles where built to last, and modern ones are designed to last until the new one is released

Professional Russian
November 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM
What an unfortunate and expensive "oversight".

And people call me crazy when I say older vehicles where built to last, and modern ones are designed to last until the new one is released

well i mean mines been going 14 years now but yeah older ones do last longer

Heres where chevy really shines. ALLISON TRANSMISSIONS god i fucking love them. Ford tranny broke? the 2nd one this year? no problems buy a chevy with an allison cause my dads has been going for 14 years and i havent had one problem with that tranny. Fuck ford, live live chevy and allision transmissions