PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Doc. Maestro
August 6th, 2016, 11:01 AM
So I just had a party with a friend. We're a pretty responsible group of people, but tonight there was alcohol and it's the first time I've really had it in large quantities and I want to confirm some things.

My friend estimates I had about 5 standard drinks, all within about 1 hour I think.

I began with a diluted corkscrew, about 1 part vodka to 5 parts orange juice, something around that. Friends showed up, and eventually I accepted to have a shot of vodka, and around half an hour later I had another shot. Then, feeling miserable as all hell after having had so much, intoxicated me fully accepted the self loathing and decided to have a bottle of apple cider, roughly 1.5 standard drinks, and I downed it in about a minute or two. After that I realized I was starting to push over the edge, so I began to drink loads of water and stuff to try and flush it out of my system, as I value control heavily and I was beginning to lose it.

Anyway, now to the questions/queries.

How many standard drinks would you say I probably had?
I think I know my limits now, as the absorption of the first corkscrew and half of the first shot seemed to lift my spirits before I dropped, so I'm assuming around 1-1.5 standard drinks should be ideal for me, what do you think?
Would you say I was reckless? I lost control temporarily as my mood fluctuated, but I think I recovered pretty well, basically removing half the alcohol in my system within 45 minutes, and then a few hours after all the alcohol I'd say I'm completely sober.

I've told my dad, but not mum as she'd freak out. Dad gave me "liver detoxification" pills to help as well, simply because I had too many drinks in too short a period of time, even if many would consider it quite a moderate number, as it's my first time and I would like to avoid getting wasted I do think it was quite a lot to have. Overall just let me know what you guys think, I'm not sure what I'm trying to get out of this, but I want to know people's experiences with alcohol and how they control themselves and rate of consumption, as I do feel alcohol and be beneficial but in controlled doses. Thanks guys :)

Flapjack
August 6th, 2016, 11:07 AM
You was not reckless xD Me and my friends have done vodka shots after tequila after whiskey shots xD That did get us drunk though:P

I am a pretty big guy so I can drink quite a lot without any effects, beer has no effect on me and when I have vodka in drinks I have the vodka at a 1:2 ratio with the drink. I only really get drunk when I do loads of shots:) I have had people tell embarrassing stories when they're drunk, others break down crying and others vomiting :)

If alcohol makes you self loathe, please do not get drunk:)

Bull
August 6th, 2016, 11:22 AM
You are 17. Drinking at our age is risky, and probably illegal: it is where I live. However, if we are going to drink (and I do) it is important to be overly careful and responsible. It is good you had the discussion with your dad. That is important for your safety to be able to discuss questions with him. Set boundaries for yourself and stick to them. Do not be goaded into over drinking by your friends, they mean well but will get you into a situation you are not wanting. Remember there is a big difference in alcohol content in beer, wine, and liquor. Enjoy a drink but be safe. I see way too much irresponsible drinking here at university. Getting wasted is not a sign of maturity. Just the opposite.

Just JT
August 6th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Your main question seems to be were you reckless? I'd say given the variables, you, your experience with alcohol, I'd say yes. First time like that and not knowing how you and your body will react? A lot can happen.

On the flip side, like mentioned above, and I'm not guna brag here, but, I'll do that and more in an hour no problem when I'm drinking with an agenda. But that's me, I've got some experience with substance use/abuse. Kinda runs in the family game pool.

Some advise that's not asked for?
Take it slow till you know
Beer before liquor never sicker
Liqueur before beer never fear
Don't mix the junk, you'll be feelin the funk
Know the quantity, volume isn't quality

Good luck bro, just take it slow, and drink plenty of water before and after you drink, it dehydrates th shot outa ya

jamie_n5
August 6th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I am guessing that you had like 5- 6 drinks. Your body can get rid of approximately 1 drink an hour. So if you get to where you feel safe just limit yourself so you loose that drink and stay at that pace. As far as being reckless I wouldn't call it that unless you were going to drive after drinking then you absolutely would be reckless.

City Kid
August 13th, 2016, 05:47 PM
VT General Hospital :arrow: Alcohol, Drugs, and Meds

In my opinion, the way you're talking about this makes you look pretty mature. You don't seem like someone who easily loses control over their alcohol consumption.
My first few experiences with alcohol were a lot less controlled. As in I vomited on my future boyfriend's couch, passed out and had to be taken home by my parents, all in one evening. I think everyone who decides to consume alcohol at some point in their live needs some kind of wake up call to know where their limits are. Just be glad yours wasn't as, uh, extreme as mine was. :rolleyes: