PDA

View Full Version : An Essay on Americanism

Kahn
July 31st, 2016, 04:15 PM
Hello friends of VT,

I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Firstly, I don't post often anymore, and that's because these last few months I've undergone quite a bit of necessary change that has left me short of leisure time. However, I do lurk, and I value and respect the opinions of all of you here. As far as teens go, you're some of the most articulate, well-rounded individuals I've had the privilege of conversing with.

Secondly, I don't know if this thread is appropriate for RotW, but I felt it would reach the most users being posted here.

Now, to get to the meat of the thread. I'm writing an essay on "americanism" and as I was writing, I found myself curious as to what americanism means to the people of VT. Not exclusively the Americans of VT- I'm curious as to how everyone views the idea of americanism. Whether it be from a cultural point of view, economic point of view, ethical point of view, militaristic point of view, philosophical point of view, or political point of view, what does americanism mean to you?

Judean Zealot
July 31st, 2016, 04:37 PM
I would say it primarily means a belief in some sort of manifest destiny for America, be that in a territorial or, more importantly, a moral sense.

Flapjack
July 31st, 2016, 04:44 PM
90% of my experience with Americanism involves the idea of American exceptionalism and I believe that is harmful and toxic.

Reise
July 31st, 2016, 04:46 PM
I didn't even know Americanism was a serious shit. Looks like it is.

Anyway Kazin et al. (2005) described Americanism as "an articulation of the [United States of America's] rightful place in the world, a set of traditions, a political language, and a cultural style imbued with political meaning."
Thx Wikipedia.

So I guess we're discussing here what's being... ugh... well, typical American way of thinking or something like that no?

So far Wikipedia has led me to, the very beginning of the idea originates from the first settlements in what's actually Trumpie's Reich.
Guess we have to start from the idea of "A Brave New World".

No seriously, one thing I noticed about the US is basically this attitude of doing nothing like the others (The West, I mean), you could say it's because of the geographic situation and stuff but I curiously found similar ways of thinking in Great Britain as well.
I might develop this further in the thread.

An interesting thing comes from the observations of Bartholdi (the guy who designed the huge lady in NYC), he was expecting kind of a "quiet" country, instead he found a place where people were always busy, everything was moving all around.
The US has never been a place where a big history was carried (the little there was has basically been exterminated, but that's another story), that's a key factor to consider when examining the American behavior.

Now I am no sociologist so I don't see why my personal definition would be relevant.

lyhom
July 31st, 2016, 05:31 PM
IhnUgAaea4M

Just JT
July 31st, 2016, 06:35 PM
Guess I'm out numbers huh?

Anyways, I don't believe I'm doing this, but I think I actually agree with Reise
I think there is this "my shit don't stink" attitude about us, and I think that sucks tbh. Not sure where how or why it started, but as an American, I see it. I don't believe it, but I see it.

We have such an entitled perspective on life that seems backwards, and at times, offensive.
Crazy isn't it, to see my own country like that, but hey, it's how I see it.

:usflag:

Porpoise101
July 31st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Hmm. It has its good and bad parts. It inspires patriotism and pride (a good thing) but also gives the impression that the US is distant or more special than it actually is. To me that is a bad thing.

Paraxiom
August 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM
I suppose 'Americanism' is a viewpoint which sees the governing / way of maintenance of the USA as the best way for any country, and whose cultural and/or political values are also seen as ideal and worth fighting for. With that, there's the proclamation of the unique qualities of 'freedom' and 'equal and plentiful opportunity for all' in the USA.