PDA

View Full Version : Do people really 'accept' themselves?

Mynameisdean
July 26th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I identify as some weird ass label (hetero-romantic homosexual) and to be honest I'm not sure if I have accepted myself or not. The thought of being 'different from the rest' no longer bothers me but I've never said to myself, 'I accept who I am'. I guess I've just lived with it for so long that I don't care?

I remember way back when I was 12 I really hated myself and did not want to be gay. I remember trying to use an image of a 'brick wall' to block out 'gay thoughts'. It seems so funny and stupid to think about that again. But I am glad I don't care as much as I used to.

Just thinking whether if this is a stupid question or not :lol:

jamie_n5
July 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
No it's not stupid. I think that we gay people do struggle more with our identity when we realize that we truly are gay. You kind of think well I am not normal and I should like the opposite sex. I accepted myself at between 12-13 and didn't tell my parents till I was 15.

ska8er
July 27th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I identify as some weird ass label (hetero-romantic homosexual) and to be honest I'm not sure if I have accepted myself or not. The thought of being 'different from the rest' no longer bothers me but I've never said to myself, 'I accept who I am'. I guess I've just lived with it for so long that I don't care?

I remember way back when I was 12 I really hated myself and did not want to be gay. I remember trying to use an image of a 'brick wall' to block out 'gay thoughts'. It seems so funny and stupid to think about that again. But I am glad I don't care as much as I used to.

Just thinking whether if this is a stupid question or not :lol:

I guess as u were entering puberty u were trying
to suppress ur feelings of thinking that u were gay
and didn't want to accept it-as u grew older u came
to realize that it was not all that important. Many
strange feelings and emotions come with puberty-I'm
not struggling with it cause I don't want to f--k with my
mind. but all through puberty-maybe still so-I still wonder
what is the matter with me. I consider myself straight but
really will have to come to the conclusion that I am Bi. Don't
intend to come out-now so-but probably when I get to college.:what::confused:

kyrocks03
July 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I've accepted the fact that I'm gay. For me, it has always been different in that I've always been attracted to boys and had zero interest in girls. I figure I can't change what I am so why fret over it?

Just JT
July 28th, 2016, 10:51 AM
So true, not stupid at all. Like Jamie_n I e always known. For me, it just felt natural. To have an interest in a girl that way, to me, just wasn't the same. Why resist what makes you happy?

I can't imagine how someone must feel who goes their entire life, and never live their life in a way that makes them happy.

pjones
July 30th, 2016, 09:52 AM
def not a stupid question. took me a long time to accept i'm bisexual with a strong leaning towards gay. but once i did it really made me feel better about myself. good luck

Flapjack
July 30th, 2016, 09:57 AM
This is not a stupid question buddy:) I am not sure what my sexuality is but I don't care cos I'm me and I accept me:) What your label is doesn't matter, you love who you love!!

Sean4U
September 2nd, 2016, 05:31 PM
Just saw this post and I agree with all that has been said in here. I think I realized that I was gay around 11-12. I came out at 14, but not until after my brother came out (older by about 15 months). I think that helped me being able to tell my parents that I was gay. Like Jamie you may think you're not normal, but being untru to who you are is not normal. You just have to figure things out for yourself as you are the only one that really atters.

LiamC
September 3rd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Yeah I accept myself. Not always, because until I was about 14 or so even to myself I'd say that I was bi, idk why maybe I wanted to be as close to straight to possible like seemingly everyone else in my life. But I got to that age and I knew I had never been attracted to girls, so why would I be bi? So I started telling my friends and I've accepted it since then, because everyone else has and I can't do anything about it, but also because there's nothing wrong with it. You love who you love, and not accepting it will only make you feel awful and unhappy.

ImCoolBeans
September 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
To be honest, I think longwinded labels and trying to fit yourself into boundaries set by those labels are counterproductive to self acceptance. I don't really label myself to that extent, if someone asks/really wants to know I'll say that I'm gay, mostly because it's easy. But I am attracted to some females too, not as much as I'm attracted to men, but I don't really care about the label because I'm Mike, not "Mike, the possibly bisexual but leans more towards men." I just feel like I don't have anything to prove to other people and I don't need to confine myself to something, especially when sexuality has the possibility to change or develop more over time.

I have accepted myself, I did years ago, but it can definitely be hard to wrap your head around at first. Just remember that you're you, and you don't have to prove anything to anyone, and don't need to worry about labels/changing labels.

Babs
September 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Sure I do. Being bisexual is just something that I am, it's not a large aspect of my identity. I feel no differently about it than I do about the fact that I have brown hair or freckles. There's more to me than being "different" (which I don't think I am, lots of people are LGBT).

However, it's s much bigger deal for some people, so while they might struggle, most of them do accept themselves.

Karkat
September 4th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Honestly, into adulthood I've even struggled to accept myself. I think it depends on the crowd you're around. It's harder for someone who already has low self-esteem to accept themselves if the environment around them is unwelcoming.

Don't worry too much. You'll get there someday.

Slashman1
September 8th, 2016, 11:09 PM
I've accepted that i'm gay but sadly not out because of the environment i live in like my parents and religion i do one day want to be more open about it but right now im scared to

Madison519
September 10th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I'm straight, but have a lot of curiosity and know that things could change. I'm okay with that, but sometimes it makes me insecure with guys.

jxxx_z
September 11th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I've accepted myself... Depends on the person

jake97aus
September 12th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Well I have! It does take some time though, and there a different stages to it as well. Once you've accepted yourself it then becomes opening up to other people so they can accept you, which comes with not only accepting yourself but being proud of who you are!