PDA

View Full Version : How can I help my friend understand that her life isn't worth losing over a break up?

Kawaii Bean
July 25th, 2016, 05:55 PM
She and one of my other friends began dating some months ago, maybe about 6 months. They are lesbians, to be more clear of the relationship. Earlier today they had a break up, Friend #1 dumped Friend #2. #2 is telling me about this and saying that she wants to die. She is suicidal and has been cutting herself for as long as I've known her, so this is a bad sign. I reply to her, saying (with no intentions to insult her, but as a serious question) "Over a breakup?" and then she goes off on me, saying that #1 was all she lived for and that she had went through a lot of stuff and that #1 helped her with coping. I totally understand this, but I keep on telling her that throwing her life away isn't how to deal with the break up. But now she feels there is no reason for her to live. Help???

P.S. I realized I should have put this in the self harm forum but I can't seem to delete this, so sorry if this question isn't for this forum

Living For Love
July 27th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Relationships and Dating :arrow2: Cutting and Self Harm

Just JT
July 27th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Think you just need to be there for her and listen, be a good friend and let her vent a while. But if she starts doing something that's harmful you need to get some help for her, call someone or something

Abhorrence
July 27th, 2016, 06:28 PM
I'm going through a pretty shitty break-up and I'd say that the thing I'd want most is people close to me. Being there for someone is necessary and a good thing to do.

jamie_n5
July 29th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Think you just need to be there for her and listen, be a good friend and let her vent a while. But if she starts doing something that's harmful you need to get some help for her, call someone or somethingI'm going through a pretty shitty break-up and I'd say that the thing I'd want most is people close to me. Being there for someone is necessary and a good thing to do.

I agree with both of these guys. It is a hard emotional thing to go through a breakup. Just be a good friend.