PDA

View Full Version : Emptiness

Brightwolf
July 25th, 2016, 12:12 PM
i think that I have depression. But I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I have it but I've been feeling extremely empty and sometimes worthless for around a month. I've also been very emotional (even more than I usually am). I've started to almost end up crying for no reason. I don't know what to do

Endeavour
July 25th, 2016, 12:27 PM
i think that I have depression. But I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I have it but I've been feeling extremely empty and sometimes worthless for around a month. I've also been very emotional (even more than I usually am). I've started to almost end up crying for no reason. I don't know what to do

Hi there,

First of all don't worry, there are plenty of people like you who have feelings like this from time to time. I would just like to give you some advice from what I have done in the past if things like this happen:
- Try to spend some time with yourself, what I mean by this is step away from your phone/laptop etc. and just relax and think about positive things, your goals and aspirations. This can help you create more 'meaning' in your life and can prevent things like this happening again.
- Try to think about what is causing this emptiness and then try to remove that from your life. For me, this was setting way too high expectations for myself and then 'failing' (even though it was still pretty good), for others it could be constantly labelling yourself as 'bad' by comparing yourself against others.

Feeling empty can lead to depression, as you have no motivation to be happy, in a way. In order to help yourself, you could try things like mindfulness or just talking your feelings through with a friend.

That's all I can think of right now, be strong and things will be ok.

Brightwolf
July 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Hi there,

First of all don't worry, there are plenty of people like you who have feelings like this from time to time. I would just like to give you some advice from what I have done in the past if things like this happen:
- Try to spend some time with yourself, what I mean by this is step away from your phone/laptop etc. and just relax and think about positive things, your goals and aspirations. This can help you create more 'meaning' in your life and can prevent things like this happening again.
- Try to think about what is causing this emptiness and then try to remove that from your life. For me, this was setting way too high expectations for myself and then 'failing' (even though it was still pretty good), for others it could be constantly labelling yourself as 'bad' by comparing yourself against others.

Feeling empty can lead to depression, as you have no motivation to be happy, in a way. In order to help yourself, you could try things like mindfulness or just talking your feelings through with a friend.

That's all I can think of right now, be strong and things will be ok.

Thank you. I do compare myself to others a lot. I've tried to stop but I just can't seem to help it.

jamie_n5
July 25th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Well you are not alone. I have suffered from depression too. Thankfully for now I am off medication for now. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There is no shame in needing some help. I hope that you can feel better.

Dalcourt
July 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM
yeah, as Jamie_n said if it's really that bad maybe you should talk to a doctor. Meds and therapy are very helpful and you can learn to live a total normal life with your depression.

Desynchronized
July 27th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Ya if things are getting too bad you should seek professional help or it will get worse day by day.

Just JT
July 27th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I agree with everyone here, you might wana talk to a talkin doctor. May not be what you want for yourself right now, same as for meds. Nobody like to take meds. They make me feel like I'm less of a person cause I don't have a level of control that I should. And I also know it's not true.

That being said, I'd say if you think that's what's happening, I'd look into it. It's easier now when it seems like it's might be just starting, or just being noticed, than later after God know s what's happened. Depression is a kick in the nuts, it's really tough to get through. Sometimes asking for help is the hardest and bravest thing you can do for yourself

Brightwolf
July 28th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I agree with everyone here, you might wana talk to a talkin doctor. May not be what you want for yourself right now, same as for meds. Nobody like to take meds. They make me feel like I'm less of a person cause I don't have a level of control that I should. And I also know it's not true.

That being said, I'd say if you think that's what's happening, I'd look into it. It's easier now when it seems like it's might be just starting, or just being noticed, than later after God know s what's happened. Depression is a kick in the nuts, it's really tough to get through. Sometimes asking for help is the hardest and bravest thing you can do for yourself

Thanks. I don't usually feel like this when I'm around friends, but that might be me distracting myself. I'm (if I can go without informing my parents or twin, which will be hard) planning on going to my college's counselor when I start college, so that might help.

Just JT
July 29th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Why do you want to avoid letting your parents and twin know?
Seems to me they'd be the first ones to turn to on hard times?

Brightwolf
July 29th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Why do you want to avoid letting your parents and twin know?
Seems to me they'd be the first ones to turn to on hard times?

I'm afraid that they'd get mad at me for some reason. Or that they'd overreact

Just JT
July 29th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Well I'm sure some parents would "get mad" or maybe show some signs of concern or something. But I think the reality is parents wana know we're ok, and healthy.

My parents, adoptive, they know shit about me, they can read me, I'll bet yours can to
I'll bet they'd wana hear about how you feel, for your own personal health, not all pissed off about it. Maybe a little stressed if they don't know stuff, but not pissed off I don't think

Microcosm
July 29th, 2016, 09:47 PM
CosmicWarlock,

There are a few things that help me when I'm depressed:
1. Talking to a friend. This almost always works for me. I guess I'm kind of a dependent person and I really enjoy the company of others that care about me.
2. Getting out of my room. When I'm depressed, I'm usually alone in my bedroom. This causes me to think, and think, and think, and think myself to death. If you think for too long and too hard, you will usually start to feel depressed. Getting out of my room, even just going into another, more open room of the house like the living room, seems to help. Going outside will give you bonus points.
3. Keeping the mind occupied. This means watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, etc..
4. Cry. It's absolutely okay to cry and it's totally natural. I usually don't cry when I'm depressed. I've had fits of tears only about 3 or 4 times in the past few years that were caused by an internal conflict of depression. If you just find a place where you are alone and no one will disturb you or see you, just cry and let it out. Whenever my emotions really boil over that much, crying for about 15 or twenty minutes seems to always make me feel somewhat better.

I hope you figure this out soon, man. You've always got VT if you ever need advice or opinions on anything.

Best of luck! :D

Brightwolf
July 29th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Thanks Microcosm, I'll keep that in mind. I tend to end up almost crying but I force myself to stop. I usually do this because I'm around others and my subconscious doesn't want me to look weak so I stop myself.

Just JT
July 29th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Yeah, might help tp thet that out a bit