PDA

View Full Version : Experience with small engines?

Murk.T.M
July 25th, 2016, 02:13 AM
OK so, I got this `81 Honda express SR NX50 from my uncle, and once I got it running after a lot of work with it, I ran it for a few minutes to check for anything to adjust, then it started to diesel (if you don't know what dieseling is, look up gas engine dieseling). Since it's a two stroke, I knew that it had to be carbon deposits in the cylinder.

I am very experienced with small gas engines, but I haven't taken the head off one yet, so, I I'm waiting on an order for head and cylinder gaskets, as well as a new spark plug, and fuel and oil filters. My question is, who here has experience with this? And do you have any pointers for me?

I am also going to clean the carb and replace some fuel lines, AND buy a good scraper.

Money isn't something I have much accesses to, but I think I can manage this.[

:)

This is the scooter/moped http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Express/Express-SR.html

And this is the service manual http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manuals/Honda_NX50_Service_Manual.pdf

This is what it looks like .: http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Express/files/page157-honda-express-sr-blue.jpg

Blue Jean Baby
July 27th, 2016, 05:25 AM
I've had a lot of experience with carburetor problems. The gas nowadays is horrible on small engines. My guess is, is that you'll definitely need to replace the fuel lines. The ones on my go-kart got gummed up really bad. It looks like you're doing everything right.

My pointer? Wash up with dish soap and lemon juice when you're done. ;)

PlasmaHam
July 27th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I've had a lot of experience with carburetor problems. The gas nowadays is horrible on small engines. My guess is, is that you'll definitely need to replace the fuel lines. The ones on my go-kart got gummed up really bad. It looks like you're doing everything right.

My pointer? Wash up with dish soap and lemon juice when you're done. ;)

Yea. I have had a lot of experience of small engines as well. The biggest killer for most engines, especially two strokes, are that the carburetor clogs up. The 10% ethanol based gasoline you see in most gas stations is awful on small engines. Get some carburetor cleaner and thoroughly clean the carburetor. Also, make sure the little float in the carburetor is floating properly, and that the pin is intact and working.

For something that is over 30 years old like your scooter, I would do a complete tear down of the engine. If sounds like you are already doing that though, so that is good. Try to get any and all rust out, clean it really well with some soap or degreaser. I would also replace any fuel lines, as those can easily dry rot out or clog.

About the head, I took it out of my lawnmower once. Fairly easy to take off, only a few bolts. When you put it back on, make sure that the gasket is on well, and that you don't strip out the bolt holes. I didn't have carbon build-up though, the shaft in it completely snapped after hitting a stump while mowing.

Murk.T.M
August 5th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Thanks peoples! I'll let you guys know how this thing goes once I get these parts....I hate slow delivery....