PDA

View Full Version : Will I always be unhappy?

Kawaii Bean
July 24th, 2016, 11:11 PM
I've been depressed for 2 years. A year ago I was diagnosed with severe depression and I have been seeing a psychologist for my problems. But I still don't feel like I'm getting better. My depression worsens at night, and it's unbearable. I feel like I'm dead. That life has no meaning anymore and that it just isn't worth living up to this point.
I never thought I would get like this but I have been through a lot that I believe has been the root to my depression. I was molested by my older brother who used me for his personal pleasure, my parents got a divorce, I was bullied by boys, extended family hated me, etc. Now it's like I can't be happy again. I am numb. I have no feelings, no care for anything, everything is monotone.
I feel like I'm going to be depressed forever.

PinkFloyd
July 24th, 2016, 11:31 PM
It's good that you're getting professional help. That's an important step to take. Only you know if it's really working, but you shouldn't give up. You're in a dark time of your life and what happened to you is unforgivable and I'm sorry. Things will look up in the future though. You will grow up and do everything you want to do. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

Dalcourt
July 24th, 2016, 11:39 PM
I've been depressed for 2 years. A year ago I was diagnosed with severe depression and I have been seeing a psychologist for my problems. But I still don't feel like I'm getting better. My depression worsens at night, and it's unbearable. I feel like I'm dead. That life has no meaning anymore and that it just isn't worth living up to this point.
I never thought I would get like this but I have been through a lot that I believe has been the root to my depression. I was molested by my older brother who used me for his personal pleasure, my parents got a divorce, I was bullied by boys, extended family hated me, etc. Now it's like I can't be happy again. I am numb. I have no feelings, no care for anything, everything is monotone.

It's hard to say...maybe it just takes time. If you get the right treatment you should be able to learn to live with them but what works best is not always the same for everyone. You have a therapist? So maybe talking about the fact that you don't see any progress might be a start?

I suffer from bipolar so my depressions alternate largely with other feelings and I'm not down all the time whether treatment works or not.

Usually it all just works in small steps from my experience. Find things to occupy yourself with to take your mind off the gloomy feelings and thoughts....this can be a hassle but in the long run it works most of the time.

Well can't give you qny better advice at the moment but I'm always ready to listen if you need someone to talk to.

jamie_n5
July 24th, 2016, 11:43 PM
OMG I certainly feel for you. You have been through so much pain and suffering. I am glad that you have sought professional help. I so much hope and pray and that you can overcome these horrible events in your life.

PhillyMorrell
July 25th, 2016, 12:55 AM

Hey there, I've been there too.

I was under severe depression for about 2-3 years. I realized that what I needed was a change of environment. My parents made me change schools and I took up sessions with professionals who advised me to start doing things that I would normally be terrified of doing. e.g Public Speaking, Karate, Yoga etc. It was bad at first and took a while, but change did come eventually. I do slip into realms of sadness once In a while, but no way as bad as it used to be.

Vermilion
July 25th, 2016, 01:07 AM
It's great that you have gotten help and posting on here shows that you want to get better which is a main thing. Are you on any meds ? They can help but not them on there own. Do you have friends at school to talk to ?

City Kid
July 30th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Recovery can take a really, really long time, but it's not impossible. After all, you've already taken the important first step of getting help.
Like Peanut_ said, you should probably talk to your therapist about your worries. That's what they're getting paid for, after all.
By the way, what kind of therapy are you doing? In my experience, finding the kind of therapy you need is just as important as reaching out for help in the first place. For example, I was doing behavioural therapy for years without any results and never thought of trying a different type. But about three months ago I switched to psychoanalytic therapy and I'm not kidding, I've made more progress than in these two years of doing behavioural therapy. Most people do behavioural therapy and it helps a lot of them, but that doesn't mean that it's the right thing for everyone.
But maybe you've already found your type of therapy and everything you need now is patience. Seriously, I promise you that you will be happy again. You just have to stay strong and keep working on yourself with the help of your therapist. :)

Just JT
July 30th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I know how you feel, I've been in those dark places, had those unspeakable things happen to me. And by people we should have been able to trust. May very well be some of the cause to the family break up with stress like that. It often happens. Not saying it's your fault, cause it's not. Only common. Therapy is good, important, very important, so keep talking. Like Peanut_ said the right treatment, and City Kid, maybe talk to yiur therapist about the type of therapy you'd doing. Maybe stuff you can do to help curb some triggers. Clearly night time, bed time or what ever is a trigger. Maybe you can find the cause of that and other triggers, and make a plan for how to respond to them.

In time, and lots of it, time time time, talk talk talk, almost to the point your sick of it.....
But it will get better, just got to believe that, don't give up....

Not sure where stuff is for you, if your brothers actions were reported, but I do know that confronting your abuser is relieving. Not something you do alone, or on your own, but it's like a therapeutic step or something. I'd consider that tbh.

Flapjack
July 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
You will not be depressed for ever:) I am really sorry to hear what has happened to you but you must look forward and accept all the help you're being given:) I wish you the best:)