PDA

View Full Version : Personal statement

Flapjack
July 19th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Sooooo my amazing fellow VTers:') Have any of you wrote a personal statement for uni? Because there is a very anxious flapjack over here with like nothing to write on itXD

Mars
July 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM
What's a personal statement?

Flapjack
July 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
What's a personal statement?
You guys might not have it in the USA? It is basically something you must right about yourself to get into University, apparently it has to be the best thing you have ever wrote and will ever write:'( You have to list why you want to study what you want to, show off your passion for the subject etc etc with examples!

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/when-apply/writing-personal-statement

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/10-things-to-put-in-your-personal-statement

Mars
July 19th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Oh we have those. I'm pretty sure at least lol. I'm still 3 more years till college so...

But if it's just writing about what u study and your passions, why not just write that?

Flapjack
July 19th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Oh we have those. I'm pretty sure at least lol. I'm still 3 more years till college so...

But if it's just writing about what u study and your passions, why not just write that?
Luckyyy:') You have to give examples proving your passion and so far I only have books that I have read! You also need examples showing your dedicated, honest and a team player etc etc. We had a whole day talking about it and my anxiety has gone into overdrive:p

Just JT
July 19th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Yeah I think in Europe the grades works different there and you guys go to college younger than we do. But yeah immpretty sure we need to do some kinda essay in the application
I had to do one for the high school I applied to. And I got accepted to!!:)

Microcosm
July 20th, 2016, 03:40 AM
First of all, I like your new name :D

Second, what is your major or area of interest? Also, do you do any sports? Use a dash of rhetoric in your statement to emphasize any teamwork deals you've had in the past (like being on a sports team or student government).

Also, is there any expected length that the statement should be?

Bull
July 20th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Sooooo my amazing fellow VTers:') Have any of you wrote a personal statement for uni? Because there is a very anxious flapjack over here with like nothing to write on itXD

You are a very articulate writer. You express your thoughts in logical sequence and often with elegance. So, the actual writing should be quiet easy for you once you determine the content.

Suggestion: make two columns on paper, with column 1 being the information to be included in the essay and column 2 being your personal experience for the item. Once you have made this worksheet you have the basic outline for the essay. Take it from there and I am confident you will do fine. It really is not as bad as you are making it in your mind. Do NOT over think, which I guess we all do at first when we have a new assignment and are not sure of how to proceed. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Flapjack
July 20th, 2016, 05:16 PM
You are a very articulate writer. You express your thoughts in logical sequence and often with elegance. So, the actual writing should be quiet easy for you once you determine the content.

Suggestion: make two columns on paper, with column 1 being the information to be included in the essay and column 2 being your personal experience for the item. Once you have made this worksheet you have the basic outline for the essay. Take it from there and I am confident you will do fine. It really is not as bad as you are making it in your mind. Do NOT over think, which I guess we all do at first when we have a new assignment and are not sure of how to proceed. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
N'awr thanks buddy!!! This is actually really good advice, have you wrote one of these before then?:) You have made me feel sooo much better and of course I'll let you know how it goes!:)
First of all, I like your new name :biggrin2:
Thanks!! <3 I still haven't gotten used to it:')

Second, what is your major or area of interest? Also, do you do any sports? Use a dash of rhetoric in your statement to emphasize any teamwork deals you've had in the past (like being on a sports team or student government).
Biochemistry, more specifically toxicology:)
Noooo Jack is not a sporty personXD Thanks though buddy that is a good idea:)

Also, is there any expected length that the statement should be?
4000 words max and it is expected you use most of them so no less than 3900:'(

Bull
July 21st, 2016, 12:14 AM
N'awr thanks buddy!!! This is actually really good advice, have you wrote one of these before then?:) You have made me feel sooo much better and of course I'll let you know how it goes!:)'(
Yes, I have done this twice: first to dual enroll in community college and then for entrance to level 3 at university. It is really not so bad once you have the ideas in order. Again, good luck and best wishes. I believe in you writing ability. :yes:

Typhlosion
July 27th, 2016, 02:57 AM
All of colleges here in Brazil require an exam, "vestibular", to rank people wanting to get in, the highest ranked getting in. Thankfully I didn't have to write any of those.