PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia is Ruining My Life

Sarcastic Cupcake
July 15th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I've been emetophobic since I was 9 or 10, but it's gotten a lot worse since then. Today, my mom went to the doctor because she's had a headache constantly for a really long time, and I decided to go with her. On the way home, she threw up, and I started having a panic attack. I was hyperventilating and seriously considered rolling down the window and jumping out just to get away from it. :( I don't want to be in the same house as her right now, and I feel awful because I know that she feels really bad and it's not her fault. I've even considered suicide because I don't know how I can live like this. I know that's not the answer, and I'm not really serious about it, but I just don't feel like I can cope. Please, someone help.

WhoWhatWhen
July 16th, 2016, 03:31 AM
I didn't even know this was a phobia (but now that I do it kind of sounds like I have it)! When someone throws up around me I find it gross (but unavoidable), so I go into my room and distract myself. Watch YouTube or play my music loud etc. Just remember though that if someone does throw up that it is not a big deal and it will go away soon.

devotionnel
July 16th, 2016, 04:02 AM
I'm guessing there's really not much you can do about this phobia, like the above poster I didn't even know this was a thing, but I guess it's possible and it's justifiable.

Just JT
July 16th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I agree. I never knew this existed. I did a Google search, but was t able to pull up any good stuff on my phone that I can make out. But I know there's a lot on Google books on the topic. If your on a pc maybe look it up, but you probably already know all about it already.

Think I'd just try and keep away from people who are sick, or might get sick, and think of things you can do for yourself for when you can't avoid it. Like a trigger, and a plan for that experience.

jamie_n5
July 16th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah that is a tough one. I think we all get a bit queasy and sick feeling when someone vomits near you. I hope that you find some way to cope.