PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine

City Kid
July 15th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Does anyone have any experience with mirtazapine? I've been on it for three days and I've already gone through the worst panic attack I've ever had, nightmares, being unable to stop shaking for about ten minutes, dizziness and something that almost felt like mania. Maybe it's just because I've been under a lot of stress these past few days. I don't know.

Flapjack
July 15th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I have no personal experience with it but I know that Mirtazapine is a serious drug!! If you are having increased panic attacks etc etc I would guess it is because of the stress and not the drug:)

City Kid
July 16th, 2016, 05:31 AM
I have no personal experience with it but I know that Mirtazapine is a serious drug!! If you are having increased panic attacks etc etc I would guess it is because of the stress and not the drug:)
I hope you're right. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until my next appointment with my psychiatrist.

jamie_n5
July 16th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I think you should check with your doctor. Sounds like a bad reaction or side effects to me.

Just JT
July 16th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't know much about this drug, but I just did a Google search for it, and I think it's used for like a major depression case. The side effects you mention are listed on a website I found about this drug.

Now sideffects are really kinda speculative, cause all that means is that some people have complained of these side effects, even if it's just a few. But in everyone of your complaints, it can be explained somehow by the side effects. You had a nightmare, could be associates with insomnia, your shaking uncontrollably, could be associated with a seizure. But I'm just guessing here.

To me, sounds like your having significant side effects to this med. I might consider at least let your doctor know ASAP and see what he says. I don't want to tell you to stop taking it, cause that might be bad advise, and a personal call on your part. But for me, if the side effects were so bad that it outweighed any good you might be getting, I think I'd stop taking it. And I'm only saying that now cause it is the weekend, and I'm pretty sure your doctor is unavailable.

That said, I'd give how yiur feeling a lit of thought, the shaking uncontrollable is like the most conserving to me personally. Just seems like that just shouldn't happen....

zack.zack
July 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM
I used to be on it and it made me sleep a lot and when I would sleep I would have all kinds of crazy dreams. Its known to have some terrible side effects, so I would talk to your doc about it.

City Kid
July 16th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't know much about this drug, but I just did a Google search for it, and I think it's used for like a major depression case. The side effects you mention are listed on a website I found about this drug.

Now sideffects are really kinda speculative, cause all that means is that some people have complained of these side effects, even if it's just a few. But in everyone of your complaints, it can be explained somehow by the side effects. You had a nightmare, could be associates with insomnia, your shaking uncontrollably, could be associated with a seizure. But I'm just guessing here.

To me, sounds like your having significant side effects to this med. I might consider at least let your doctor know ASAP and see what he says. I don't want to tell you to stop taking it, cause that might be bad advise, and a personal call on your part. But for me, if the side effects were so bad that it outweighed any good you might be getting, I think I'd stop taking it. And I'm only saying that now cause it is the weekend, and I'm pretty sure your doctor is unavailable.

That said, I'd give how yiur feeling a lit of thought, the shaking uncontrollable is like the most conserving to me personally. Just seems like that just shouldn't happen....
I don't think the shaking is connected to a seizure, I had it when I was on Escitalopram as well, and as far as I know a lot of antidepressants cause things like that. So that's not really what's worrying me.
My next appointment with my psychiatrist is on the 26th, do you think it's fine if I wait until then or should I contact him sooner? The side effects aren't that bad after all. They're definitely less severe than the ones I had when I was on Escitalopram. Then again, I was taking 30 mg of it a day, which is 10 mg higher than the recommended maximum, and right now I'm only taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine, which is the minimum dose.

I used to be on it and it made me sleep a lot and when I would sleep I would have all kinds of crazy dreams. Its known to have some terrible side effects, so I would talk to your doc about it.
That's pretty similar to my experience so far. I'm tired all the time and my dreams are a lot more intense, I guess.

zack.zack
July 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I don't think the shaking is connected to a seizure, I had it when I was on Escitalopram as well, and as far as I know a lot of antidepressants cause things like that. So that's not really what's worrying me.
My next appointment with my psychiatrist is on the 26th, do you think it's fine if I wait until then or should I contact him sooner? The side effects aren't that bad after all. They're definitely less severe than the ones I had when I was on Escitalopram. Then again, I was taking 30 mg of it a day, which is 10 mg higher than the recommended maximum, and right now I'm only taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine, which is the minimum dose.

That's pretty similar to my experience so far. I'm tired all the time and my dreams are a lot more intense, I guess.

I had to talk to my doc about it and we gave it a few more weeks to really get into my system to see if those side effects will go away. They didnt after 2 weeks and he changed my meds to something different. You might have to do the same thing.

Just JT
July 17th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I had to talk to my doc about it and we gave it a few more weeks to really get into my system to see if those side effects will go away. They didnt after 2 weeks and he changed my meds to something different. You might have to do the same thing.

I think this makes sense actually. Some of the meds I take, it took some time for them to really work. I know some can take like 30 days sometimes to get the full effect. And then, it might just be a little something that don't work with you, and need to try a different brand or type.

I really hope this works out for you. Meds, they suck, but if you get the right regiment, it can do a lota good in your life. Just don't give up trying

But it can't hurt to make a call, and ask before your apt.

City Kid
July 30th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Mimikyu Jamie_n Just JT zack.zack
Just in case any of you are interested in an update - I've been on Mirtazapine for about three weeks and I barely have any side effects now. It's hard for me to properly focus and sometimes I get very confused and completely forget what I was about to do, but that's pretty much it.
I feel like the positive effect is beginning to set in, too. I feel... Calmer, I guess? My emotions aren't all over the place and when I'm down, I'm not this-is-killing-me-from-the-inside-out-down, but just... Down.
So contrary to what I thought when I started taking Mirtazapine, things seem to be working out quite well. :)

Just JT
July 30th, 2016, 07:42 AM
That's great news actually, I'm really glad to hear that. I'm also glad you updates us, I've been thinking about it a while.

The other side effect will probably get better as time goes on to. And if they are still a problem later on, maybe something the doc can do to counter those side effects. Yeah, probably another med, but like you said, the positives outweigh the negatives

I'm really happy for you, thanks again

Flapjack
July 30th, 2016, 08:12 AM
@Mimikyu (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=122060) @Jamie_n (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=122591) @Just JT (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=116857) @zack.zack (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=99282)
Just in case any of you are interested in an update - I've been on Mirtazapine for about three weeks and I barely have any side effects now. It's hard for me to properly focus and sometimes I get very confused and completely forget what I was about to do, but that's pretty much it.
I feel like the positive effect is beginning to set in, too. I feel... Calmer, I guess? My emotions aren't all over the place and when I'm down, I'm not this-is-killing-me-from-the-inside-out-down, but just... Down.
So contrary to what I thought when I started taking Mirtazapine, things seem to be working out quite well. :)
Glad to hear it buddy!!:)

jamie_n5
July 30th, 2016, 09:45 AM
That is really great Sophie. I am glad to hear that.

zack.zack
July 30th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Mimikyu Jamie_n Just JT zack.zack

Good news, glad to hear it. Youll get used to it after awhile and you will learn how to adapt.

Inflation26
August 31st, 2016, 04:37 PM
Sorry for bumping this thread, but a lot of dots connected when reading this.

Basically my dad is going through a rough time. He lost his wife and his job within 24 hours at the end of June and besides that he has a really bad hernia. Now I don't know what Mirtazapine does but I guess it's an anti-depresssant drug.

My dad has been behaving really weird lately. He is heart-broken by his wife leaving (understadably) and he is really mad at his ex-boss (even more understandably, they really fucked him over). He was on vacation with my sister and grandparents and got in a physical fight with my grandfather, said he wanted to end things (suicide) about 10 times in one day and called my sister "a stupid cunt" because he said she was the reason his wife left.

Now I have never seen my dad like this. I got in a fight with him about really weird stuff and he just didn't seem like himself. I tried talking to him about it and he said that he hadn't slept a single night for three weeks because of the pain the hernia was causing him. Things are going better now. He stopped drinking for the most part, is sleeping better and hasn't said any weird shit since he got back from vacation. He is also seeing a therapist which is good. The problem here: the therapist prescribed him a heavier dose of Mirtazapine.

I hadn't really given the drug any thought but just realized what it is when I read this. I think I should talk to my dad because I feel like shit is going to go down bad if he gets a larger dose of this shit...

Dames
November 21st, 2016, 12:38 PM
I've taken it b4 to sleep, but never had what u experienced