PDA

View Full Version : Removing some skin of my fingers

BrokenWingedPegasus
July 14th, 2016, 05:29 PM
So, I don't know where this thread belongs, but I decided to put it here.
It's nothing too bad, but I constantly scratch a zone near the nail of my fingers, especially the thumbs that sometimes has a bit of dead skin, and so I begin to scratch it, sometimes without me even noticing it, and I remove the dead skin, and take off some other skin too from that. A few times that zone on my finger had redder skin, and it looked like a different layer of skin than the normal one. (the touch there also felt different than on the normal layer of skin.) Sometimes I also bite the dead skin taking it and some normal skin off. I don't know if you can understand this, but if you have any questions tell me, and if you understand, is it bad that I do this? Any problems it can cause?

I could even put a photo of the finger after I did that if someone wants.

Phosphene
July 14th, 2016, 05:52 PM
It's a bad habit. You could end up getting an infection in that area if you keep scratching off the skin. I don't really know what to tell you to do that will help you stop doing it, but I hope you can break the habit so it doesn't get infected.

Flapjack
July 14th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I used to do this buddy, I doubt it will cause any major medical problems but I would still stop:) Mainly for cosmetic reasons.

Just JT
July 14th, 2016, 09:28 PM
If I get this right, it's around yiur fingernails? Is that right?
It yes, 1) stop scratching 2) carefully cut the seas skin fragments ya away close to the new skin with toenail trimmers 3) keep your ha da and affected areas clean

BrokenWingedPegasus
July 15th, 2016, 12:35 PM
It's a bad habit. You could end up getting an infection in that area if you keep scratching off the skin. I don't really know what to tell you to do that will help you stop doing it, but I hope you can break the habit so it doesn't get infected.

I used to do this buddy, I doubt it will cause any major medical problems but I would still stop:) Mainly for cosmetic reasons.

If I get this right, it's around yiur fingernails? Is that right?
It yes, 1) stop scratching 2) carefully cut the seas skin fragments ya away close to the new skin with toenail trimmers 3) keep your ha da and affected areas clean

I have these pictures, not sure if you can see the redder area of the thumb?

(It's funny it says thumbnail because it's literally a thumbnail...)

Just JT
July 15th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Think it looks fine, just keep it clean, leave it alone, and drink more water, looks a bit dehydrated to me

BrokenWingedPegasus
July 15th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Think it looks fine, just keep it clean, leave it alone, and drink more water, looks a bit dehydrated to me

It's that purplish/red-ish bit on the left side of the picture. And I don't think it is too bad, I just wanted to know if it could be or not. And I drink a lot of water, especially now that it's the summer :)

jamie_n5
July 15th, 2016, 09:24 PM
It looks fine but take the advice you have gotten and quit doing it. It is a bad habit like biting your nails down to the nubs. So again try quit and leave them alone.

nebula
July 16th, 2016, 04:32 AM
I have a bad habit of biting the skin near my thumbnails... so I can't give a lot of advice for it :P

Just try to disinfect it and care for it if it gets too bad, to avoid infection.

BrokenWingedPegasus
July 16th, 2016, 09:30 AM
It looks fine but take the advice you have gotten and quit doing it. It is a bad habit like biting your nails down to the nubs. So again try quit and leave them alone.

I have a bad habit of biting the skin near my thumbnails... so I can't give a lot of advice for it :P

Just try to disinfect it and care for it if it gets too bad, to avoid infection.

Thanks, I'll try to stop, even if it's hard. I don't know why, but it feels really good... Right now it's not that bad, but it once got really red, like it was a different layer of skin than my normal one. But I'll try to stop :)

Just JT
July 16th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks, I'll try to stop, even if it's hard. I don't know why, but it feels really good... Right now it's not that bad, but it once got really red, like it was a different layer of skin than my normal one. But I'll try to stop :)

Yeah biting your fingernails, yeah, I get that, I've done it to. I know exactly how you feel. But, also, think about how dirty your fingers are. Especially if you don't wash your hands regularly. And all that....whatever.....is stuck under your fingernails, and into your mouth it goes, chewing, slobbering it all into your mouth, that's where everything you touch goes. And, everything everyone else has touched also.

Sorry for being so graphic, but yeah, I get how you feel, but I also think about all that to help me stop.

It's an oral thing, so try chewing some gum, and grab some nail clippers, and keep them trimmed really well so there's nothing to tempt you, at the same time.

nebula
July 16th, 2016, 12:29 PM
It's an oral thing, so try chewing some gum, and grab some nail clippers, and keep them trimmed really well so there's nothing to tempt you, at the same time.

Well, if I have the same habit as the OP, it's not the fingernails themselves but the actual skin around it, so trimming my nails (which I do regularly anyway) won't do much help.

volleyballer13
July 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM
probably nothing bad will happen but its a nasty habit that you should probably try to stop.