PDA

View Full Version : Poekmon is changing

ZacTheZebra
July 12th, 2016, 02:20 AM
I have been getting back into pokémon recently. And it has changed so much all these new fangled things. Call me old fashioned but I dont like it. I prefer normal pokémon the ones like blue and red and yellow also green and the others its nothing like it used to be !

WhoWhatWhen
July 12th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Everything changes with time! Besides slightly better graphics everything is very similar. But your preferences are your preferences! :D

Typhlosion
July 12th, 2016, 03:33 AM
No, he's kinda right, the games aren't that similar. Compared to Gen 1, now we have...

IVs and improved EVs
Breeding
Held items
Natures
Abilities
Attacks being physical/special not solely dependent on type
Alternate forms
Double, triple, rotation, ... battles
Mega forms

... and those are just the changes that affect in-battle that I can remember of. Plus more types and tons more pokemon and moves to keep in mind.

I don't blame him.

Feraligatr
July 12th, 2016, 05:37 AM
I prefer the older games also.

everlong
July 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I see what you're coming from. Sometimes simpler is better, no need to over complicate things. I haven't played many of the newer Pokemon games so I suppose I can't say what I think about it.

Flapjack
July 14th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I have never tried the old games but I want to!!

Porpoise101
July 14th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Hmm. I disagree. I tried to play Red and Blue, it was very painful. Mostly because of the bad sound quality and the fact you can't run. Movement speed is so slow in the first games. That is why I like Gold and Silver since they added nice features like better graphics, color, breeding, and held items. These are actually very nice features and they also balanced the game a lot in that generation. But still, they didn't have running. So that is really the only innovation that I liked that came in the 3rd gen. I believe that the series has to change because then the franchise would stagnate.

I would say that the more recent games are too easy though.

Flapjack
July 19th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I am getting an emulator on my phone to play the old games!

Typhlosion
July 27th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Regarding my preference to new vs. old, I'm not sure where to stand.

On one hand, I only feel that the Pokémon formula got perfected by Generation IV, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. The separation of an attack being physical or special based on type was huge and needed. It's not that fun playing RSE/FRLG knowing the limitation of typing and poor stat destribution on otherwise a great Pokémon was disappointing. Also, the best storyline IMO is the fifth gen games and their sequels. RSE's story was far from bad either, but BW2 was just there to continue it. I really liked that.

On the other hand, the best Pokémon designs are Gen III down. Not only that, but Generation III had (still has?) a prolific homebrewing scene where people produce their own stories and versions of Pokémon. That was really cool. I'm also going to mention that the show felt like it was growing... and then reset on Generation III. I really could care less about learning the whole world and maturing all over again without the original cast. Shame.

Gwen
July 30th, 2016, 01:11 PM
No, he's kinda right, the games aren't that similar. Compared to Gen 1, now we have...

IVs and improved EVs
Breeding
Held items
Natures
Abilities
Attacks being physical/special not solely dependent on type
Alternate forms
Double, triple, rotation, ... battles
Mega forms

... and those are just the changes that affect in-battle that I can remember of. Plus more types and tons more pokemon and moves to keep in mind.

I don't blame him.

To be fair you can ignore almost all of that if you aren't interested in battling competitively online, the game still has basically the same skill floor as it's older versions. You can still just have 6 random types and go full damage moves and beat the Elite 4 and so on. The added complexity is for people who are hardcore into Pokemon and they mostly play Pokemon Showdown! nowadays anyway.

ZacTheZebra
August 11th, 2016, 02:37 AM
To be fair you can ignore almost all of that if you aren't interested in battling competitively online, the game still has basically the same skill floor as it's older versions. You can still just have 6 random types and go full damage moves and beat the Elite 4 and so on. The added complexity is for people who are hardcore into Pokemon and they mostly play Pokemon Showdown! nowadays anyway.

This is true but there are parts of the game where you cant get away from these features and pokemon has become too social nowadays in my opinion it is single player not multiplayer

Gwen
August 11th, 2016, 02:48 AM
This is true but there are parts of the game where you cant get away from these features and pokemon has become too social nowadays in my opinion it is single player not multiplayer

I mean with trading and the two game system you have basically always needed other people so you could get special trade evolutions or pokemon who can only be found in the other version. These have been around since the Gameboy days too. I think they have always had plans to make Pokemon focused around multiplayer or social/physical activity and have started pushing it since Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver. Even in the most recent ones I've been able to easily ignore/forget: held items (Excluding exp share <3), natures, abilities, IV/EV and breeding without being unable to beat a part of the game easily with no planning in my team or moveset besides which Pokemon look better and which moves have the bigger power number. I wasn't able to get past mega evolutions or double battles but I'm not sure if that is complex or a feature that makes the game more difficult to understand.

Fleek
August 11th, 2016, 07:02 PM
It would be cool if you could encouter people while in game play like Pokémon Online or Pokéline for short :3

VTGEEK14
August 11th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Pokemon is changing but I still like it and the only main new things are types everything else you can ignore or learn slowly

Joel99
August 13th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I have played every gen up to 5, and I have to say that 4 is my favorites. The older ones will probably feel dated to anyone who has played the newer games.

Jontxu
August 19th, 2016, 06:13 AM
I like the new games better because of all the added great features mentioned before