PDA

View Full Version : Dating Advice For Guy Who Has Never Had a BF

ejniceguy
July 10th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Hey all,

So, I've never had a boyfriend, and I'm wondering if there are any things that I should be aware of that are different in gay relationships vs. straight ones (I've had a gf before, but never a bf). So like who pays for dinner/movie tickets (since in straight ones, it usually turns out to be the guy), and little things like that so I hopefully don't step on my future boyfriend-to-be's toes.

Sorry if this is a poorly worded question, if it needs clarification please let me know and I'll try to articulate my thoughts better. Any advice whatsoever regarding having a boyfriend will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Corvonius
July 10th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Hey all,

So, I've never had a boyfriend, and I'm wondering if there are any things that I should be aware of that are different in gay relationships vs. straight ones (I've had a gf before, but never a bf). So like who pays for dinner/movie tickets (since in straight ones, it usually turns out to be the guy), and little things like that so I hopefully don't step on my future boyfriend-to-be's toes.

Sorry if this is a poorly worded question, if it needs clarification please let me know and I'll try to articulate my thoughts better. Any advice whatsoever regarding having a boyfriend will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Great question, I could use this advice as well, actually :). Good luck!

GeneralSkrubz
July 10th, 2016, 03:18 AM
Hey all,

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Of course its not different, it is generally the same completely, I mean, sex is way different lol but in terms of dating, going out, having fun, just run it the same way you would. Im not gay by any means, but my friend used to feel left out, so I took him on a couple of dates to be nice, and he said he loved it. Hope I helped

Dalcourt
July 10th, 2016, 04:23 AM
I'd say there's not much difference in dating. I usually don't have a lot of nice dates...cuz most guys I end up with are jerks. But with my dates I usually split the bill at the first date and on following dates we usually talked about it before. Like I call him and say I'd like to invite you to .... or vice versa.

In my case it's mainly the other guy who invites me and pays...as I cannot really.I afford paying for fancy dates...this makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

I can just speak for myself...I don't think there's some rule about it. I'd say who initiates the first date offers to pay except the other says he wants to split the bill...that's the rule I go by.

Bull
July 10th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Dating is dating. The gender of the date makes no difference. My invitation, I pay. His/her invitation they pay. Or when agreed ahead of time we each pay our own tab. Just treat your date with respect, do activities you both enjoy, and have fun. Is that not what we all want; fun, the enjoyment of being with someone who shares our interests and with whom we have fun. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Hilton_1320
July 10th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Me personally for being bisexual and having 2 boyfriends. It only depends on who says that they want to buy the tickets to a movie, or buy you a dinner date. I unfortunately didn't get to go on any dates with my boyfriends but I wish I did cause they seem easier than a lot of their dates do.

Flapjack
July 10th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Hey all,

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Every relationship is different buddy and the same applies to same sex relationships! One of you might naturally assume the guy role and pay for everything or maybe you will buy stuff some days and he buys stuff other days or maybe you slit everything down the middle:)

pjones
July 10th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Dating is dating. The gender of the date makes no difference. My invitation, I pay. His/her invitation they pay. Or when agreed ahead of time we each pay our own tab. Just treat your date with respect, do activities you both enjoy, and have fun. Is that not what we all want; fun, the enjoyment of being with someone who shares our interests and with whom we have fun. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

great advice. if you can afford it, offer to treat him to the movie, dinner or whatever you plan to do. or you can explain you don't have the money for both of you, if you don't, and ask if he wouldn't mind paying his way and you'll pay for yours.

be respectful, take an interest in what he has to say, and hopefully you'll have a wonderful time

ejniceguy
July 10th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it!

Just JT
July 10th, 2016, 05:42 PM
That's all good advise, for me and Sam, it depends really. It seems like who ever invites, pays, but if we're doing something together, we split. But sometimes we just split anyways. But I think he spends more than I do...

DoodleSnap
July 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM

This is excellent advice, couldn't have said it better myself.

jamie_n5
July 14th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I agree that dating is dating. If you specifically invite him out to a movie or dinner or something then I would say you pay. If you are just on a casual date then each can pay there own. My BF and I have usually taken care of our own or if one of us are broke then the other one will pay. We have been together for 3 years as boyfriends and lifelong friends so we are pretty tight but I think you have the idea about dating already. Good luck.