PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of getting blood drawn

Kacchon
July 7th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I have to get my blood drawn today, and it honestly scares the hell out of me. Last time I got blood drawn, I was shaking and nearly passed out. How can I overcome this irrational fear?

Flapjack
July 7th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I used to have a terrible blood phobia and have actually passed out many times!! I have gotten over it and if you want I can explain how I got over it but it will take you more than the few hours you have to do!:(

Just look away, grab something tight and think about something else!! Ask if they can put numbing cream on because that helps you avoid thinking about it.

Kacchon
July 7th, 2016, 09:45 AM
I used to have a terrible blood phobia and have actually passed out many times!! I have gotten over it and if you want I can explain how I got over it but it will take you more than the few hours you have to do!:(

Just look away, grab something tight and think about something else!! Ask if they can put numbing cream on because that helps you avoid thinking about it.

This actually helped a lot. :) Thank you.

Cadanance00
July 8th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I hate it too. I can't look.

volleyballer13
July 13th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I have passed out getting blood drawn. i hate seeing my own being taken but am totally comfortable watching when others have it done or even watching surgeries in the OR. idk what it is for me but if its not happening to me im alright with it. last time i went though the lady gave me a sticker because i didnt pass out. it was kinda embarrassing since im so tall and too old for a sticker! lol but it was funny.

Hyper
July 17th, 2016, 10:06 PM
I had a really strong fear of needles or rather getting shots as a kid, so much so that I would hide myself when the school nurses were doing vaccination shots...

At some point though I rationalized a lot of it - why it needs to be done, why it really isn't that scary. And then I also got a little irritated that I had an irrational fear, which in itself might sound a bit irrational, but I was annoyed that I would be scared of something that I knew I had no reason to be scared of, from a logical point of view.

I do remember the first times I would completely look away, squeeze something and I asked the nurse to wait a little before she does the shot so I wouldn't know exactly when it was coming.

Rhythmic breathing also helps.

These days I'm a freak that will stare at the needle going into my arm/vein when getting a shot or having my blood drawn. On a totally unrelated badass note, I've also stuffed hoses through my nose down to my throat because I thought it was far worse having someone else (a nurse) do it for me. I was told that I was the first person in their practice that actually wanted to, and did, do that themselves lol...

PlasmaHam
July 17th, 2016, 10:12 PM
I am perfectly fine at the sight of blood. I've killed animals and cut myself (accidentally, mind you) plenty of times. Blood itself does nothing to me. But seeing someone stick a needle into my arm *shivers* I get all tense and chilled.

I simply try to ignore the shot, focus on something else. Looking at the needle in my arm makes me sick to my stomach, so I try to focus on something else, like a magazine or picture. Don't think about it, and you won't notice it.

jamie_n5
July 17th, 2016, 10:55 PM
How did your blood draw end up going?

dorado
July 18th, 2016, 06:54 AM
It also scares the shit out of me, last summer I also nearly collapsed when I was sitting . the last time I was lying and that was okay. I cant do any recommendation, I just dont look at the needle, think of something nice and hope the doctor is good at his job. :(:(

Just JT
July 18th, 2016, 07:19 AM

Yeah, Kacchon how did you make out?

Amethyst Rose
July 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM
I will add to the chorus and say I hate getting my blood drawn. Keeping my breathing calm and thinking about something else helps, though.

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out in May, I got my blood drawn. I had no idea it was coming! Floating away on the anesthesia... goodbye world... HEY! What's that you're doing to my arm? :lol:

Kacchon
July 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Yeah, Kacchon how did you make out?

It was better than I expected, definitely not enjoyable but I made it!

The thing is, it's not the needle that scares me as much as the getting blood drawn part. When it's something being taken out of your veins, I guess. Getting shots aren't as bad for me. I don't really have a fear of blood, so it doesn't make much sense.

Just JT
July 18th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Kacchon I think it makes more sense than you give credit. Pretty sure everyone doesn't like it to different degrees. So not really that unusual in my opinion.....like you said they are taking something out of you, and you have no co trip over that

Amethyst Rose
July 18th, 2016, 11:08 AM
It was better than I expected, definitely not enjoyable but I made it!

The thing is, it's not the needle that scares me as much as the getting blood drawn part. When it's something being taken out of your veins, I guess. Getting shots aren't as bad for me. I don't really have a fear of blood, so it doesn't make much sense.

Glad to hear it went ok. :) It is weird to think about it being taken out of your veins, now that you mention it...

Cadanance00
July 18th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I hate it too. I can't look. I have to turn my head away.

jamie_n5
July 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I am happy that things went well for you. I don't think many people really like to have that done.

TheFutureDoctor
July 19th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Hey, happy to hear you are okay. I had a fear too though a milder one. What I did was look firmly away and describe an object to yourself. (Ah, what a beautiful clock, I wonder who manufactured it?, stuff like that :P ). I didn't look at the needle or hand, but I just felt the prick when the nurse drew it. Now, I think it's not so bad. Even went for a vaccination the other day, followed the same steps worked an absolute treat.

TheFutureDoctor
July 19th, 2016, 12:16 AM
When I got my wisdom teeth taken out in May.....

Wisdom teeth! Already?! My my, you must be quite wise. :D

Amethyst Rose
July 19th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Wisdom teeth! Already?! My my, you must be quite wise. :D

Not so wise anymore, now that they're gone ;)

Jinglebottom
July 19th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I never had to get my blood drawn. But needles terrify me, when I was a small kid I once ran away from the hospital (nearly ended up in the middle of the street before they caught me) cause I was too scared to get a shot.

Just JT
July 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM
xbob18 you've never had your blood drawn?
Really??? I thought that was like a regular thing every year or something.

Jinglebottom
July 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I had to get vaccinated yearly but that was it. I dreaded that time of the year.

volleyballer13
July 20th, 2016, 05:37 PM

there is no requirement for regular blood draws unless the doctor is trying to monitor something.

Just JT
July 21st, 2016, 04:49 AM
there is no requirement for regular blood draws unless the doctor is trying to monitor something.

That's probably why, I take so,e meds and I know he checks levels in my blood every 6 month...thanks, forgot about that

Kacchon
July 21st, 2016, 06:51 AM
That's probably why, I take so,e meds and I know he checks levels in my blood every 6 month...thanks, forgot about that

Same here, actually.

TheFutureDoctor
July 22nd, 2016, 02:12 AM
not so wise anymore, now that they're gone ;)

:d :d:d:d