PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Emergencies

Gumleaf
July 4th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Does anyone else enjoy listening to ATC communications, in particular, how emergencies are dealt with?

Today a United Airlines B787 on UA840 Sydney to Los Angeles hit birds taking off from Sydney. A couple of people with a lot of time on their hands have edited the ATC communications of the incident. I enjoyed listening to two different versions of it, with some overlap between the two recordings. Here are the links if you're interested....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxg5YzV81jY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrTK_QS8DPA

Cadanance00
July 5th, 2016, 12:13 AM
I listen to planes arriving and departing DFW airport but I haven't heard any emergencies yet. The most I heard was somebody was off the radio and air traffic control was trying to contact him for a long time.

Speaking of emergencies, what do you think happend to the Egyptair?

Posts merged. ~Mars

Barbara.
July 5th, 2016, 12:54 AM
No the only time i hear about them is on the world news.

Cadanance00
July 6th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Looking like the Egypt Air had a fire in the electronics compartment.

Just JT
July 6th, 2016, 01:21 PM
seagulls are a problem at logan airport in Boston. They can cause a plane to crash if they end up going into the engine on take off they have all kinds of things to keep them away, and seem to do a good job cause i dont ever remember a plane accident there

juliazheliezko
July 7th, 2016, 08:12 AM
No the only time i hear about them is on the world news.

Also I do!

PlasmaHam
July 8th, 2016, 09:53 PM
For some reason, I like watching "Air Disasters" on the Smithsonian Channel. Talks about and reenact famous airplane crashes(not the actual crashes, just the pilot's situation.) Provides some neat insight to aviation and the flaws of both people and machine.

Endeavour
August 2nd, 2016, 02:23 PM
For some reason, I like watching "Air Disasters" on the Smithsonian Channel. Talks about and reenact famous airplane crashes(not the actual crashes, just the pilot's situation.) Provides some neat insight to aviation and the flaws of both people and machine.

I watch something like that too, it's called Air Crash Investigation over here. It's quite interesting. And back to the OP, sometimes I do listen to the ATC on emergencies, but hardly ever really.

Flapjack
August 2nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
Yeah I think it is so impressive how ATC handles everything!

LucaBaLuca
August 31st, 2016, 08:07 AM
I watch something like that too, it's called Air Crash Investigation over here. It's quite interesting. And back to the OP, sometimes I do listen to the ATC on emergencies, but hardly ever really.

Air Crash Investigations is awesome... Lets you learn about the different things of a plane

Two.Cool.
July 14th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Emergencies are dealt with in the following way:

1. Just after the incident occurs, the pilot declares an emergency over the radio to all of the other listening pilots, and ATC.

2. ATC gives the damaged plane the full power to do whatever they need to do to safely land.

3. ATC and close nearby airports and re-route other airtraffic to give the damaged plane room to manuver and land.

4. If needed, ATC will talk to ground control to dispatch airport fire trucks and other emergency vehicles out nearby the runway for when the plane comes in.

5. ATC might ask the damaged plane if they need any other assistance.

Amethyst Rose
July 14th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Emergencies are dealt with in the following way:

1. Just after the incident occurs, the pilot declares an emergency over the radio to all of the other listening pilots, and ATC.

2. ATC gives the damaged plane the full power to do whatever they need to do to safely land.

3. ATC and close nearby airports and re-route other airtraffic to give the damaged plane room to manuver and land.

4. If needed, ATC will talk to ground control to dispatch airport fire trucks and other emergency vehicles out nearby the runway for when the plane comes in.

5. ATC might ask the damaged plane if they need any other assistance.

Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for 2 months or longer. :locked: