PDA

View Full Version : What point does someone intervene or seek professional help?

jamie_n5
July 3rd, 2016, 07:58 PM
So I was wondering with a friend or family member when is enough enough and you call in for professional help. A lot of suicides the person doesn't even show outward signals. Depression too I think that doctors and phycologists and physiatrists are too quick to prescribe medicines too. What are your ideas?

Jay21
July 3rd, 2016, 08:09 PM
Well I feel that a big reason why people can be so depressed yet nobody knows about it is because they are too scared to talk about their problems with friends or family. Perhaps it is because they are embarrassed about it, or whatever the reason is, they don't seek help and this does nothing but harm to the person. If you have any inkling that someone you know is battling depression, talk to them first, and if they won't talk to you, encourage the rest of rheir family to sit with the person. Don't immediately seek professional help though, as you said, psychiatrists can be too quick to prescribe anti-depressants. It is best if they talk to other loved ones first.

zzzzzzzzzz
July 4th, 2016, 03:22 PM
All we can do is be there for each other. When it is known, I think we can be helpful and just listen. No-one wants to be on medication, and it would just be the case of only recommending a doctor when you feel it is needed. It is a shame that people do feel that the only way out is suicide. Do you feel that a friend is at risk?

Just JT
July 16th, 2016, 12:22 PM
It's hard to tell for some people. I think they try and hide how they feel, like they think people will look down on them or they are weak if they need help, so it's hard to identify. Others openly ask for help, so it's easier.

But I think if you know the person well enough you can sense something isn't right with them, by their behavior. Like I have some on line friends I can tell just. Their posts that their mood is this or that. And sometimes it takes some time to figure out what's going on.

But to answer your question, at what point? Defiantly if their is a risk of hurting themselves or others, self harm or any kinda dangerous behavior that could cause harm. That's like a beginning point I think, safety first